August 17th, 2008

Crowley: McCain was on his game

McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.
McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - During a break, someone yelled: "We love you John." In fact, McCain was on his game, doing better than I thought he would, given that faith is not his most favorite subject to discuss in public. And in fact, it does seem that the crowd is greeting him every bit as warmly as they did Obama. (Although: as far as I can see, the two Obama supporters who told me they were forced to turn their t-shirts inside out left a while ago.)

Act Two is over - and McCain gets huge applause, and a standing ovation.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Cupper

All McCain could talk about was the past.

But the flock sure did lap that stuff up.

Stories of Vietnam and Reagan and Lebenon...just amazing.

No Vision. Just clueless and out of touch. Here is some McCain judgment for you:

“We’re not going to get into house-to-house fighting in Baghdad. We may have to take out buildings, but we’re not going to have a bloodletting of trading American bodies for Iraqi bodies.” McCain-[CNN, 9/29/02]

“But the point is that, one, we will win this conflict. We will win it easily.” McCain[MSNBC, 1/22/03]

OK. I've seen enough.

-Cupper

August 16, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  2. Otyeka_Martin@hotmail.com

Did anyone like me think McCain was taking this religious/faith conversation and turning it more into a political discussion than the original reason?

August 16, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  3. James

I've never seen John McCain so prepared. I know he was supposed to be in room unable to hear the first interview with Sen. Obama but it appeared as if he knew what was coming. It was as if he witnessed the first interview.

August 16, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  4. Jim

Your right Candy if Americans want their children drafted to fight wars across the world, the same economic policies that we have had for eight straight years, and to use Roe vs Wade for toliest paper then vote Mccain

August 16, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  5. Anonymous

I'm thinking Mccain knew the questions before hand bc he was so quick to answer them before Rev Rick got a chance to asked them.....

August 16, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  6. Ike

Nice format but....it really didn't amount to anything. Those who already backed McCain feels he was straight to the point, those who back Obama feel all McCain did was get on the stump talking points. It seemed to me that this was a pander to the Evangelical vote and thats about it.

August 16, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  7. John McShame, Obama Is Going to Tax You & Cindy, but Not Me & 95% Americans Making < $250,000/Yr

John McShame was given the questions BEFOREHAND. No wonder he was just going through the talking points he already rehearsed....when you know the questions beforehand that your opponent is NOT previledged to see; of course you will sound better; without saying anything meaningful!

John McShame = all talk and no real substance!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 16, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  8. obama 08

McSame sounded very rehearsed tonight. He should feel comfortable with the evangelicals. I love the way the media lowers the bar for McSame. He has low expectations. It was obvious that he had the questions before hand. Obama is very good speaker so he came across as more personable than McSame. It has to be more to John MCcain then his experience as a war veteran but maybe it is not more to him. I am sorry but being a prisoner of war does not qualify him as a president.

August 16, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  9. Independent

I haven't seen the debate, however, by the post, I can already tell Obama lost. Man, Obama supporters are about as whinny as he is.

August 16, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  10. Paul

Frankly, McCain scares me.

August 16, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  11. 60 yr old white woman

Candy, you totally missed what the rest of us saw tonight.

Obama THINKS before he SPEAKS and McCain SPEAKS before he THINKS.

I interpret this as "Decider, The Sequel"

August 16, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  12. Ilona Hussein Proud Canadian

SORRY FOLKS

THIS WAS A TOTAL FARCE OF A NOT-DEBATE!

THIS INTERVIEW WAS A TOTAL SETUP! I AM SO DISGUSTED WITH THE MINISTER. I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT THE QUESTIONS WERE SO GEARED TO JOHN McCAIN'S LIFE AND HIS WAR DAYS!

THIS WAS ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!

SEN. BARACK OBAMA I CANNOT WAIT TO HEAR ABOUT WHAT YOU MADE OF THIS FARCE!

August 16, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  13. Mike Dallas

Your main article on the discussion states McCain as pro-choice, was I in a parallel universe watching the same debate? In my version of the discussion he was pro-life???

August 16, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  14. jerry

This undecided voter made up his mind tonight, Hands down,
    McCain will get my vote. nothing there from Obama

August 16, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  15. Rob

of course McCain looked on his game tonight. This type of forum was tailor made for a Conservative. Pro-Life against Gay Marriage. They were eating out of his hand. Obama's answer's were from the heart. They were thought and and were NOT pandering I mean come on the story about the cross in the sand. That was a "My love will go on" Titanic moment. How easy is it to tug on the heart strings when your speaking from the point of a POW. McCain scare's me.

August 16, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  16. wow

Wasnt it amazing when mccain and obama were on stage shaking hands together it was like the past(mccain) and the future (obama) you could see it so clearly. Obama was so sincere and so personal with his anwsers it made me feel like he was talking to me. On the other hand mccain was trying to score politicial points the entire time, along with bragging about his service in the military. There is no doubt in my mind now who i want to be president.

August 16, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  17. Latinos for Obama

How many times did Panamanian McCain say "my friends?" This is a clear indication that he was in a campaign stump and not in a conversation with America.

August 16, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  18. ALL the facts please

Warren was a terrible forum moderator. Most of the question response times were not controlled in the least. He allowed McCain to tell as many war stories as he could fit in. He allowed him to talk on and on about Georgia, and did not ask Obama at all about this. Unfair and biased.

August 16, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  19. theo

Crowley I was expecting to hear all bias you carry about Obama.
    You never said anything good about this man
    Did they not give the shirts to show your Wolves and Lou's.
    Get a life for you are boring with your kind of reporting.

August 16, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  20. gl

The base of the audience where whtie people.

August 16, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  21. Michele, Oregon

McCain did well tonight in the sense that there were no major gaffes and he used stories. But the thing that struck me, even though he did well in a sense is that McCain totally satisfies the dualistic, either-or mindset. Not mentioning the fact of our own evil in our own countries decisions, he does not mention the fact of how he intends not to tax yet pay for war, etc. How does he intend to care for the least in our nation. There were a lot of times that I had to take myself away from his stories to the present and look at how he has hardly voted for the last two years, while talking as though he is so active in these areas already. But according to the media, he will have won because we are pandered to as a nation of people who don't get subtleties, nuances, and thoughtful processes. McCain used humor, Obama humility. Give us humility!

August 16, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  22. Dr. Louise Bell

I am a 68 year old, white, well educated female who is very impressed by what Obama has to offer and have an Obama sticker on my car. However I must say that I was impressed with what John McCain had to say tonight. He came across much stronger than I had anticipated. However I am Pro-Choice and also agree with other things Obama has to say. He is still my choice.

August 16, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  23. McCain was the man

I was a leaning strongly for McCain, but i felt that he fell flat. It's almost like talking to Dick Cheney. His answers were way to "political" and nothing from the heart. Obama actually thinks about a question and although i don't agree with everything he does, I think it would be nice to have a president that actually thinks before he acts/speaks.

Maybe it's time for a change.

August 16, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  24. Bob in NH

On his game? We've got victory in Iraq and we're going to defeat evil. Sound familiar?

Thousands of innocent Iraqi's have died as "collateral damage." Evil has strange bedfellows.

August 16, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  25. Fred

The only ones impressed by McCain's well rehearsed well written 'speech' tonight was the coached, canned audience in the room.

To anyone else with a functioning brain, Obama OWNED McCain tonight.

August 16, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |