August 17th, 2008

Crowley: McCain was on his game

McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.
McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - During a break, someone yelled: "We love you John." In fact, McCain was on his game, doing better than I thought he would, given that faith is not his most favorite subject to discuss in public. And in fact, it does seem that the crowd is greeting him every bit as warmly as they did Obama. (Although: as far as I can see, the two Obama supporters who told me they were forced to turn their t-shirts inside out left a while ago.)

Act Two is over - and McCain gets huge applause, and a standing ovation.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. carla

McCain was good if you like simple answers with no substance. He wrapped himself in the flag, an exPOW, fear, and promises of being a warrior.

Obama was good if you don't want to rush off to yet another war, don't see simple answers to all complex questions.

Bush was elected in part because he promised America not to worry, he'd take care of everything. I see McCain as more of the same, just older, a hero, and a bit more angry.

August 16, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  2. Kent Fitzsimmons,Kewanee, IL

You mean McCain changed the rules of the game..............he didn't answer the question instead diverted to a bunch of stories and past experiences. When he was done I swore I just left the old folks home and was filled up with oldtimers alzheimers garbage..............

August 16, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  3. keesa

I THINK IT`S A SHAME THAT MCCAIN USE HIS WAR STORIES TO PLAY ON PEOPLE MIND OF FEELING SORRY FOR HIM. HE DIDNT ANSWER MANY QUESTION BECAUSE ALL HE TALK ABOUT IS WAR LIKE HE IS HOLDING SOME KIND OF GRUDGE THERE. HE CAME ACROSS TO ME LIKE HE`S PLANNING ON GETTING BACK AT THE CHINA IF HE BECOMES PRESIDENT AN THE WORLD SHOW DONT NEED THAT, THAT`S WHY IM CHANGEING MY MIND ON VOTEING REPUBLICAN BECAUSE THIS MAN IS VERY ANGRY AND AMERICA DONT NEED ANOTHER WAR.

August 16, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  4. lil

Where is Mccain's faith?
    answer: in big guns.

August 16, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  5. Tom L

The liberals in this blog seem a bit concerned that for the first time McCain out performed the Great One. Could it be that McCain is starting to cause the Great One some angst?

August 16, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  6. RBB

During the introduction, Warren stated that this was to be a discussion and not a series of stump speeches. John McCain ignored those rules and answered the questions with a dozen well rehearsed excerpts from his stump speeches, while Barack Obama engaged in the discussion that was asked for. Shame on Rick Warren.

August 16, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  7. keith Franklin, Tn

Does anyone remember "Separation of Church and State"?

I strongly feel that if religious leaders and churches get this invloved in ploitics, let's take away that tax-exempt status......now that would help the deficit.

Religion has its place....and it sure isn't in politics.

I love my church, but when politics come into conversation there it ruins the true meaning because most of the conversations are so divisive.

You are correct though when you say the Religious Right panders to the Republicans!!!!!!!!!

August 16, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  8. Patriciaw

I'm going to try to ask the question here I asked in an earlier part of the blog but it didn't appear?

Is my memory correct or did a similar story of the soldier and the cross that McCain recounted as his own story, appear in James Clavell's novel "Shogun"?

August 16, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  9. wow

Bruce B.. You are soo right...,, however Mccain had days if not weeks to study these questions...No way could he have remembered the questions in that short time frame. Boy he was "quick as a silver lightning bolt tonight, " MY FRIENDS"... The Republicans are toooo much....

August 16, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  10. Jason

McCain has Obama beat in this forum.

Will it make a difference in the polls? Probably not.

I don't think anything will change dramatically until they are on the stage debating at the same time.

August 16, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  11. Joan

I think that Barack Obama answered the questions as he was asked to do, not addressing the audience as if he were on a political stage, my friends!
    McCain is scary to me because he only knows war, military issues, and can repeat his "war prison stories" over and over.
    Obama 2008

August 16, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  12. this is crazy

all he talked about was war

August 16, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  13. Dre

These political analysts are a waste of space. McCain practically regurgitated his stump speech and they say it's a win for McCain. Why do these people get paid for this?

August 16, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  14. gl

McCain was on his "WAR GAME" tonight.

August 16, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  15. Pat

I thought Obama thought carefully about each question and answered it honestly and from his own heart. McCain gave the audience what he thought they wanted. He also gave stump speeches. Obama came across as real and honest. McCain came across as a politician. Obama quoted scripture and defined himeself as someone who has attended church a lot. McCain did not do this. He quoted only issues that he must think the evangelical people want to hear. I sincerely hope that the viewers will be able to see which one really has the deeper faith and who really cares about the American people as Obama does. Obama might have lost some votes but he came across as a very real, caring person and not a politician tonight. He also came across as very bright and well educated. He is someone who can hold his own in the entire world. McCain can only hold his own in a military society.

August 16, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  16. yoyo

So let's see... Senator McCain gets teary eyed and is supported, while Hillary Clinton gets teary eyed and is seen as weak?

Oh... How I love the hypocrisy!

August 16, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  17. ME IN FL

Brian,

I agree with you. This is how a President should talk as Mc Cain, sure of himself and his answers. Obama on the other hand dodged questions, with his uh,ah, oh ,comes across as a weakling and inexperienced. If this is just a forum and Obama did so bad, Mc Cain is going to eat him alive in a debate!! Thank you Howard Dean and the DNC for annoiting Obama, you sure know how to pick a looser!!! There still time to put Hillary as VP or she should be the Presidential candidate because with NOBAMA we are going NOWHERE!!!

August 16, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  18. Olegringo, NM

McCain hands down! He answered without hesitation. Without his teleprompter Obama just stutters and stammers.

August 16, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  19. Anonymous

Candy Crowley, Are You In Bed With Sen. McCain.

Obama 08

August 16, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  20. carolyn cathey

Where is the outrage about this political endeavor being held in a church??

August 16, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  21. MARIA FROM HOUSTON

HONESTLY OBAMA IS MORE DOWN TO EARTH PERSON AND VERY SINCERE.HE LISTENS AND THEN ANSWERS.JOHN ACTED LIKE HE WAS IN A PLAY AND GOT BORING WITH HIS POW STORIES.WE DO NOT NEED AN ACTOR AS PRESIDENT WE NEED A REAL MAN AND THAT MY FRIENDS IS BARACK OBAMA.PEOPLE NEED TO WAKE UP AND REALIZE THAT THE BEST CHOICE AND THE BEST PERSON FOR THE COMMANDER IN CHIEF IS OBAMA.LOVE YOU OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 16, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  22. tedious898

Barack has no chance with the religious right! As I've said, I live in Orange County and it doesn't get much "whiter" and much more conservative than here.

Of course I'm sure Kentucky, Mississippi, West Va. will probably not even have Barack on the ballot in those states. No of those people would vote for an African American. I've lived here for over 35 yrs. and its apparent – 1) John McCain must have known the question 2) An African American has no chance in this county

August 16, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  23. Gaby

Thank you Bruce, I agree with you, I got the same impression that McCain had all the questions and heard Obama's answers as well.

August 16, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  24. Lourdes

McCain's answers were speechy, planned out, one-line audience pleasers. He reduced everything to a sound-byte. Obama may not have had the precise sound-bytes, but his answers were thoughtful, as if he recognizes that there is a lot at stake in all of these issues and that the gray areas deserve to be explored.

August 16, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  25. Heartlight 3, Maui, HI

Pastor Warren said several times to Obama that he didn't want to hear his stump speech, but he let McCain repeat parts of his stump speech over and over. How many times have we heard the story of the soldier making a cross with his foot? All of these commentators keep saying what a great job McCain did, but it seemed to me like he was just repeating much of what we've already heard. I don't want another belligerent President.

I thought Obama's answers were much more thoughtful and considered. I want a president who thinks things through before he acts.

August 16, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |