August 17th, 2008

Crowley: McCain was on his game

McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.
McCain won over the Saddleback crowd.

LAKE FOREST, California (CNN) - During a break, someone yelled: "We love you John." In fact, McCain was on his game, doing better than I thought he would, given that faith is not his most favorite subject to discuss in public. And in fact, it does seem that the crowd is greeting him every bit as warmly as they did Obama. (Although: as far as I can see, the two Obama supporters who told me they were forced to turn their t-shirts inside out left a while ago.)

Act Two is over - and McCain gets huge applause, and a standing ovation.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Cecil

Candy Crowley, Are You In Bed With Sen. McCain. Very Bias Reporting.

Obama 08

August 16, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  2. Anthony

It's funny how all of you Obama supporters are so quick to say McCain is a warmonger by saying "cute" little lines like her was on his "wargame" tonight. Do you people actually know who Obama's foreign policy advisor is? HAHA it's Zbigniew Brzezinski hmmm wh o is he? Well he is actually known for his hawkish foreing policy! Might wanna do a lil research on Zbigniew Brzezinski before thinking Obama is all anti war and rainbows.

August 16, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  3. AIB

John McCain is deceitful. He couldn't tell us in what way was his 1st marriage a moral failure?
    Senator McCain used the forum for political AD instead of using it as an opportunity to define himself as an individual of faith.

August 16, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  4. Lester

Obama studdered his way through another bunch of good point blank questions. He didn't bluff his way out with this group.

August 16, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  5. John A.

My Friends, Where was John McCain's Flag Pin tonight??

August 16, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  6. Sr

McCain was just OK. Once again I think he spent too much time on War Stories. He really loses me with his ego centered anecdotes. I just have a problem relating to him.
    I thought some of the questions that were asked were kind of silly.

At his point I fell I am leaning more toward voting for Obama he always seems more on point when answering questions.

August 16, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  7. Gaby

With Obama questions are answered, and I am not left wondering if he did or not like with McCain.

August 16, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  8. Foreign Observer

Proofreader alert:

"McCain was on his game, doing better than I thought he would, given that faith is not his most favorite subject to discuss in public. And in fact, it does seem that the crowd is greeting him every bit as warmly as they did McCain." That would be "as they did Obama," no?

And yes, McCain certainly knew the questions beforehand, no doubt. And boy, did they rehearse him well (though spouting "a union between one man and one woman" proved difficult).

August 16, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  9. Donna

Please, someone, explain this to me because I seriously don't get it. John McCain's repeats the same antecdotes over and over, and sometimes it seems like he uses them to avoid answering questions. No one will listen to a POW story and challenge him that he didn't answer the question because it would come across as disrespectful. Sometimes the questions seem less like answers than they do like shields.

Good for Rick Warren for pulling this forum together, though. I don't expect it to change too many minds, but I'm still hopeful that eventually evangelicals will begin breaking free from the mind grip of conservatism. I'm starting to see some cracks that let the light in.

August 16, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  10. Carrol Lindsay

I am very thankful to Pastor Rick Warren , of Saddleback Church for presenting the Civil Forum for both both Presidential Candidates to share thier views, faith, fears, politics and concerns for America and our relationship to other Countries in the world. Both candidates expressed clearly their faith in a Divine God, a God, who is all over all in this world. I believe either candidate if elected to become President of these grate United States will reply on their faith in God, to lead them as they lead the Country towards more civility for all mankind.
    May God bless both Senator McCain and his family and Senator Obama and his family and may God continue to bless. Rick Warren and his family.

August 16, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  11. gl

McCain did do well, with older people and come across a little too military for the young.

August 16, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  12. Aim

Is anyone going to address the fact that David Brody used a racial slur when interviewing Barack Obama? Brody said, "let's call a spade a spade." I was shocked – I can't believe CNN aired that.

August 16, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  13. rachel

Yet again the obama supporters will come out and try to explain away Obama's lackluster performance. I am sure they will say it was Hillary and Bill's fault that McCain did better than him tonight.

August 16, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  14. nancy

This was a clear contrast between a brilliant, thoughtful, and genuine human being, Barack Obama, and a rehearsed, trying to be humorous McCain who used every opportunity to tell a war story and to repeat his stump speech over and over again.

While Rick Warren's questions were thoughtful and real..he allowed McCain to take over with very rehearsed politics...
    It really made me sick.

August 16, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  15. Keeping An Open Mind

Had to laugh at Obama's answer on when life begins. "That's above my pay grade" was as good as his "Present" votes in the Illinois Senate. Absolutely no leadership skills or willingness to take a stand, he is too weak and inexperienced to be POTUS and he showed it tonight

August 16, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  16. Cheri

McCain sounded alittle to much rehearsed tonight as if he was given the questions in advance.He sounded as if he was giving a stump speech.To much talk about his time as a pow.

August 16, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  17. CB

Ratgurl August 16th, 2008 10:16 pm ET

It's easy for McCain to be on his game when he's fed the answers prior to being asked the questions. He answered many of them before the Rev. even finished asking. And he told WAR STORIES! This was supposed to be a Q&A. All McCain did was stump.

I'm glad somebody else notice this beside me.

Every question he interjected war into the answer. Nothing on his real faith.

This man will have us in war with ever country.

August 16, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  18. Minneapolis

I agree with Lou. McCain pandered BIG TIME......If he is elected say goodbye to women's rights....I liked him because I thought he was going to be an independent thinker.

He keeps saying "My Friends"....I lost count at 24......I am not his friend. Just someone I thought I was going to vote for.

It did sound like a McCain campaign stump speech with all the stories. Obama sounded much more thoughtful.

I changed my mind tonight. I am exchanging my McCain button for an Obama sign.

August 16, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  19. Ramesh Shrestha

Alright, I watched the forum all through and I believe I have every right to put my comments.
    Senator Obama gave great and thoughtful answers to the question. His answers are remarkable and identify with the thoughts and imaginations of American people. But, there was a huge problem with the presentation. I was desperately looking for Barack Obama of those public meetings where he would compel thunder applauses. Where had he gone? I was counting every applause and standing ovation he received. Where had his charisma disappeared?
    On the other h and, Senator McCain appeared more appealing and seemed to have command over the stage. I don't want to know what Republican conspiracy went into play, but his presentation was definitely winning. Of course, it looked like a rote presentation, but who cares? It is all about the show.

August 16, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  20. bruja

To Brian Beddow: The American President is NOT THE PRESIDENT OF THE FREE WORLD!!!!! Please understand: HE IS NOT!!!!
    (that's why the whole world dislike Americans....!!!!)

August 16, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  21. John McShame, Obama Is Going to Tax You & Cindy, but Not Me & 95% Americans Making < $250,000/Yr

Did John McShame say you have to own $5 million to be considered rich?....well, ONLY IN JOHN McSenile america!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 16, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  22. Charles TR

McCain nailed the evening....Looked more presidential and knowledgeable and secure...Obama is really going to give the Democratic party a hear attack and think about turning to Hillary..... Obama can't work without a teleprompter. He is the teleprompter candidate!

August 16, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  23. FLORIDA

McCain did not answer the questions!!!!......What he did was to talk about war and war stories.We need a president who can address a wide range of issues...not just about wars.We need someone who will be able to think through situations ..We do not want story tellers.

Obama was clearly the better tonight..

August 16, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  24. Obama For President

I disagree with Crowley's analysis J. McCain came across as distant and ineffective. Many of the people in this forum hit it on the head... he was focused on war and I saw that gleam in his eyes when he talked about defeating "evil". Obama is thoughful and take his time to answer not firing answers without listenning. Example: reponse he made in reference to "evil" ; Obama caution against our ego when confronting evil. McCain wants to go to war and defeat evil. McCain is dangerous for America's security because war is not always the answer. My hope is people are taking notes and making thouthful and intelligent decisions not ones based on emotions or a sense of false bravado. We have to leave the world intact for our children and grand-children.

August 16, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  25. david in va

I made up my mind tonight. Obama was thoughtful, Mccain recited sound bites. He was George Bush all over again. One undecided voter in Virginia for Obama!

August 16, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |