August 17th, 2008

Richardson: I was a little 'uneasy' about a Clinton roll call

CNN

Watch Richardson share his thoughts on the convention and other topics.

(CNN) - New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson said he’s now comfortable with Sen. Hillary Clinton placing her name in nomination at the Democratic convention, but he admitted he was uneasy about the move at first.

“It's going to be placed in nomination in recognition of the 18 million votes that she got - her historic candidacy. But then she is going to pledge her delegates to Sen. Obama so that it's a unanimous - a unanimous election. That - that gives me comfort,” he said Sunday on CNN’s “Late Edition.”

“Until that had been worked out, I was a little uneasy about there being just a roll call without any transference of that support to Sen. Obama. But the point is the party is united.”

Last week, Barack Obama’s campaign said it encouraged Clinton to put her name in roll call "as a show of unity and in recognition of the historic race she ran and the fact that she was the first woman to compete in all of our nation's primary contests."

Clinton last month suggested that doing so could provide a "catharsis" for her supporters.

Richardson on Sunday called Clinton a “long-time friend” who “ran a great race.”

He and the New York senator were scheduled to hold two private fundraisers Sunday to help retire her campaign debt.

Things got ugly between Richardson and the Clintons after he endorsed Obama in March.

Richardson, who served as secretary of energy in Bill Clinton’s administration, said in April that he was "very close to endorsing" Clinton, but decided not to after the campaign became negative.

"The Clintons should get over this," he said in April.

His endorsement was viewed as an act of betrayal by some longtime supporters of the Clintons. CNN Political Analyst James Carville, who has long and deep ties to both Clintons, even likened Richardson’s endorsement to Judas’s betrayal of Christ.

Richardson responded to Carville’s criticisms by saying that Carville and other Clinton supporters believe they are a “dynasty” and that they were “clinging to the throne.”

1. Bob in Fla

Hear that PUMA?

She's going to hand you all over to Obama for 15 more minutes of fame.

August 17, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  2. pakuna

with friends like richardson a person doe not need enemies. If Clinton pledge her delegates to Obama it will not change anything. Obama did not nor has not won anything in his life. Check him out. He has used his color to get where he is at. No one else did it but him. He is a coward in any since of the word. He hides behind his color and uses it for all the wrong reasons. I want to know what the man thinks I do not want to know what his color thinks.

August 17, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  3. The Shepherd

This man is full of hot air.

August 17, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  4. Annie

All I can say is I hope he is NOT the choice for VP. He is the last one who should be considered.

August 17, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  5. Bill From Florida

Richardson is the scum of the earth, now he's trying to be chummy
    with the Clinton's again because he Know's OBAMA IS GOING TO LOOSE. Weather people want to accept the fact, the Clintons are still
    VERY POWERFUL people.

August 17, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  6. go away mongers, Ventura, CA

Gov. Richardson is a great and loyal Democrat- and American. He ran a good campaign and his endorsement was appreciated and honorable. I have a new respect for him and I hope he holds a high position in the Obama Cabinet.
    This thing with Hillary will be ok- I was concerned at first after reading some of the so-called pumA blogs- but I believe the majority of those are republicans who are so good at hateful, non-productive chaos.

August 17, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  7. ...

CNN let one of their reporters compare this to Jesus/Judas?

Jeeeeeez. (us)

August 17, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  8. Glenn, Cary, NC

I couldn't care less what Richardson thinks. He shifts his positions and his allegiancies with the political breezes. The convention isn't one of his responsibilities. In fact, I'm pretty sure nothing outside the borders of New Mexico are any of his business now that the Democratic Party has absolutely, positively rejected him as a national figure.

August 17, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  9. Ron Democrat turned independent

Richardson should of said was a long time friend. personally i think his career as a politician is over. who, including obama can trust him now
    once a man sells his soul he becomes untrustworthy

August 17, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  10. Sue in MI

The "dynasty" was not the point. The point was that Clinton received as many votes as Obama, and were it not for the Michigan/Florida fiasco, and Dean's bullying of the superdels to get them to support Obama, SHE would be the nominee. And after last night's interesting little tete a tete in California, I hope people can see why we are concerned about him. McCain had all the slick answers that the evangelicals wanted to hear, and Obama hedged and didn't really answer several questions. If that happens in a debate, I'm afraid that McCain will actually convince this country that he can win, despite his obvious memory problems, flawed policies, and adherence to Bush. Just don't say we didn't warn you.

Obam needs Hillary on the ticket, and he needs her now.

August 17, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  11. mary ward

Richardson is a turn coat looking to cash in. Obama is offering appeasement to clinton. I have never supported Obama and will not vote at all for the first time in 42 years.

The credential committee sealed that for me when they abandoned the popular vote and drank the obama kool-aid

August 17, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  12. Wendy

Richardson is an honest decent man who was attacked unfairly because of his decision to endorse Senator Obama. He stood up for who he believed would be the best candidate. It is his right to do so without being demonized. Out of respect for the Clintons, he spoke to hillary first not wanting to make enemies of the Clintons. Richard wanted a positive campaign but when Hillary went negative he wanted no parts of it. He should feel uneasy about the roll call because there may be a trick up the Clinton's sleeves. Richardson knows them well.

August 17, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  13. Corey, Maryland

OBAMA RICHARDSON 2008!!!!!!!

August 17, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  14. J Williamson

Oh brother, the only thing worst than sore losers are sore winners – the Obama people keep demonstrating that there are quite a few of the latter in their ranks. You won – now get over it and get to work!

August 17, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  15. EBC

Gov. Richardson, I agree, I DON'T TRUST THE CLINTONS bottom line.

Everything they do is geared and focus on their own selfish political ambitions. There is NOTHING the Clintons do that is not strategically calculated. The Clintons are the "masters" of deceit and lies, they've been dishing it out for so long, it's become a part of them. The ugly part, I'm sorry to say.

I DON'T put anything past both Hillary and Bill, especially Bill at this point. I wouldn't let either of them close to the White House or any other house for that matter.

August 17, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  16. troy

we Dems are SOOOO NOT united. Obama is a farce.

August 17, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  17. Clinton, no, wait, McCain Supporter

Who cares what this shallow fool thinks!?! I'm sure the Clintons aren't losing any sleep about keeping him comfortable.

I wouldn't vote for Obama if he were the last man on Earth.

August 17, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  18. Charlie in Maine

I am dissapointed that Gov. Richardson has not shaved yet. Don't get me wrong I like the beard, have one myself but hen I'm not running for VP. I guess he's not either. Oh well I trust Obama to pick a good one.

August 17, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  19. Agnes

The party is not even close to be united.... and Richardson has helped to write the book,on "how to loose the elections", good job!
    I still hope that somehow Democrats will pull off the win, but the narrow minded crowd seems to go with who will appeal more to be the candidate, not who proposes sound proposals, and wants to motivate the rest of us to carry on and work!
    One person can't do the job, we all have to contribute, but one person can create really bad policies that will constrain any chances to rebuild the mess we are in at the moment!

August 17, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  20. Anthony

Bill Richardson for Vice President. Foreign policy experience. Energy experience. Congressional Experience. Executive experience. He was the best Democrat in the race. Bring him to the ticket.

August 17, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  21. Fred C Dobbs

Wow, this makes my day – Bill Richardson is comfortable with Hillary Clinton placing her name in nomination.

Let's see, just how far did Bill Richardson go in his bid for the nomination? That's what I thought.

CNN searches the globe for anyone with a negative opinion of Hillary Clinton. CNN – in a fight with MSNBC for the worst in cable news.

August 17, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  22. SDB

I am a little uneasy about Bill Richardson....

August 17, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  23. Nicole Larocque

I was extremely angry when Richardson endorsed Obama – I still am. Is there any possibility that the delegates might change their minds at the last minute and nominate Hillary? How wonderful it would be. I am sure that HILLARY would be the best President by far. Howver, although I am a Canadian citizen, I have watched the primaries very closely and came to the conclusion that men, especially those in the media, are just not ready for a woman Presient. SHAME ON YOU.

August 17, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  24. chitowngal07

Richardson-->

One word only.............................traitor. He got his start from the Clintons and when it was not convenient he "decided" to turn the other way. I have heard he is on the short list for V.P. if Obama decides to do so and pick him as his V.P. then God help us.

August 17, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  25. Becky Montgomery

The Clintons need to realize that they are making more enemies than supporters by pushing this. We are not stupid and know she could control this. We will also remember, so she had better not try any inferred negatives to Obama or anything that smacks of her being better and his nomination being "given" to him.

August 17, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |