August 17th, 2008

Richardson: I was a little 'uneasy' about a Clinton roll call

CNN

Watch Richardson share his thoughts on the convention and other topics.

(CNN) - New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson said he’s now comfortable with Sen. Hillary Clinton placing her name in nomination at the Democratic convention, but he admitted he was uneasy about the move at first.

“It's going to be placed in nomination in recognition of the 18 million votes that she got - her historic candidacy. But then she is going to pledge her delegates to Sen. Obama so that it's a unanimous - a unanimous election. That - that gives me comfort,” he said Sunday on CNN’s “Late Edition.”

“Until that had been worked out, I was a little uneasy about there being just a roll call without any transference of that support to Sen. Obama. But the point is the party is united.”

Last week, Barack Obama’s campaign said it encouraged Clinton to put her name in roll call "as a show of unity and in recognition of the historic race she ran and the fact that she was the first woman to compete in all of our nation's primary contests."

Clinton last month suggested that doing so could provide a "catharsis" for her supporters.

Richardson on Sunday called Clinton a “long-time friend” who “ran a great race.”

He and the New York senator were scheduled to hold two private fundraisers Sunday to help retire her campaign debt.

Things got ugly between Richardson and the Clintons after he endorsed Obama in March.

Richardson, who served as secretary of energy in Bill Clinton’s administration, said in April that he was "very close to endorsing" Clinton, but decided not to after the campaign became negative.

"The Clintons should get over this," he said in April.

His endorsement was viewed as an act of betrayal by some longtime supporters of the Clintons. CNN Political Analyst James Carville, who has long and deep ties to both Clintons, even likened Richardson’s endorsement to Judas’s betrayal of Christ.

Richardson responded to Carville’s criticisms by saying that Carville and other Clinton supporters believe they are a “dynasty” and that they were “clinging to the throne.”

1. Kathy

Lets face it, Hillary is trying to steal the show, it shows bad character, and if Obama were to lose this election, even as a long time democrat I would not vote for her.

August 17, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  2. curtis in WI

I so much want Bill Richardson as VP. He brings it all to the table.

- Executive experience
    – and with it – budgeting experience, natural disaster experience, etc..
    - Energy policy experience
    - Foreign policy experience
    - Immigration policy experience
    - International respect

Plus he would help with the West and with Latino citizens who have been ignored and marginalized by the Republicans.

Obama/Richardson '08. That's my winning ticket.

August 17, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  3. Ito

Uh...she did not run a great race. It was anything but great. It was gutter politics and it stank. She did run a tough race, but it was anything but a great race. Clinton should be ashamed of herself as should all her elitist and arrogant supporters who think rules are not relevant unless their candidate wins. So lets say she ran a shameful campaign as well. I'm still wondering why her 18 million cracks in the sky haven't helped her pay off her debt yet? C'mon...what are you all waiting for? They are all just like their candidate...phoney.

August 17, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  4. La Chatte, Portland, OR

I wonder what post Richardson will get for selling out his friends as well as the people of New Mexico for the highly unqualified Barry Obambi ?

OUTSOURCE THE PRESIDENCY!

August 17, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  5. Avant Strangel

I'll be so glad when the Clinton's self serving behavior will be relegated to footnotes in the annals of history. What's disappointing is this election for the Clintons was all about them and not the country. And the fact their egos are so big we have to give them a platform to aire their self inflicted grievances is sad. Obama has been nothing short of gracious and I would have hoped at some point it kicked in that his generosity is not a sign of weakness. As I see no indication of that I can only wait til this election is over before I can forget about the Clintons.

August 17, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  6. Dave

Yeah, well I think you should continue to be concerned. It's not like you can trust a Clinton. Bill is probably back room dealing at this moment.

August 17, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  7. Keith Southall

You guys will make a big mistake if you go for obama, but its your country,
    or has been up to now.

August 17, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  8. missourireader

Richardson should keep his mouth shut.....it is well-known that he is a liar.

August 17, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  9. Ricco

All Bill Richardson is doing is covering himself. He abandoned the Clintons and then had the audacity to say, "The Clintons should get over this". I'm sure when he said that he didn't realize how loyal Clinton supporters can be. Now that he has seen what true loyalty is from Clinton supporters that have been fighting to have her represented at the convention; he just wants to add a buffer with his empty praises. I'm sure the Clintons will not forget his betrayal. I know I won't.

August 17, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  10. Not This Time

I still wouldn't trust them. Watch your back Senator Richardson.

August 17, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  11. Sandi

Can we fast forward to Barack Obama swearing in as the President of the United States. I've made my mind up already. Now I will just cast my vote in November and pray for him to succeed. The Clinton hype is of no concern to me. I am just tired of it all.

August 17, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  12. Jim Wagner

Poor Richardson, he betrayed his old friends in hopes of the VP slot, then wasn't even include on the 'short list'.

IF Obama wins, maybe he will get a cabinet post. Again. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

The beard looks nice though, bet the ladies love it...

August 17, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  13. Irma in North Carolina

Hillary is nothing but a back stabber doing this. You know the clintons have something up their sleeve, she will never give her delgates to Obama and she is just pretending that she is Obama and deep down her and Willy never get behnd obama, they just are simply too two faced. And they will never change Hillary and her puma supporter need to be brought down on their knees, for doing this.

August 17, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  14. Dmitriy

Another flip from Obama.

August 17, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  15. rhiannonrede

I smell a big switcheroo at the convention. At the very least, the Clintons are planning to weaken Obama so that he loses in the fall. They need to beware that people have long memories and they are going to be punished for it by the party of they succeed. They are consistently putting themselves before the good of the country and the nation because they can't bear to let go of their power base and Democrats will hold them accountable for their actions if they go wrong.
    Little Rock, AR

August 17, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  16. Truth

It was commendable that Clinton and Obama made their decision together about the convention. Both historic campaigns deserved this mutual respect. Dems '08

August 17, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  17. DeGee

Maybe Mr. Carville should check out his own backyard before flinging around names like 'Judas', especially considering his lovely wife's part in getting the recent pack of smears & lies about Mr. Obama published.

I once admired the man but he has become nothing more than a cruel, sick, twisted & increasingly irrelevant joke at this point.

August 17, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  18. Common Sense

The Democratic Party still needs to aggressively disavow groups like PUMA, which have outrightly stated ther intention to disrupt the convention. Sometime, during the primaries, it became evident that Barack's or Hillary's supporters could be either very delighted or disappointed, depending on if their candidate won or lost. PUMA is a closet Republican group and the Democrats need to address these concerns.

August 17, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  19. CJ

I used to have a lot of respect for Governor Richardson. But then he spent months saying that superdelegates should vote the way their State did; how it was a moral imperative. He came off as downright evangelical about the responsibilities of elected officials right up until he backed the guy his state didn't choose. I don't care who he supported. I just think he showed himself to be even less than the average hypocritical politician. Not only did he publicly back a guy against his own "principles" but he did it the way a coward would, after it could have made a real difference and in the way most guaranteed to publicly slap a man who was nothing but loyal and giving to him. I'm glad James Carville called him out.

August 17, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  20. Susan R.

Richardson has really become a spineless parrot. I hope Clinton gets the nomination: First – because she'll win. Second – so I can see the look on Richardson's face as the reality sets in. He must still think he has a shot at VP. How sad.

August 17, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  21. Shannon

Richardson is scum, he's all about pleasing the powers that be. He doesn't have a loyal bone in his body, he saw a way to be on the VP short list, and he threw Clinton under the bus. Obama has the same principles, so I can't wait until the same thing happens to one of them.

August 17, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  22. RJ, CA

I don't give a hoot as to what gives Richardson "comfort." JUDAS!

August 17, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  23. Linda

No doubt Richardson nervous, because he knew there was a good chance people might choose Hillary regardless of the late Convention for the presumptous nominee and that The One has been calling the shots at the DNC and the Convention, especially when folks are seeing his tanking numbers and his major flips on core principles and his own campaign positions.

And, your example of Richardson's flip on support also shows he lied when he claimed he never said he wasn't going to support Obama. You just covered how he admitted he was going to support Hillary, but changed his mind, on a lie that the Obama folks were baiting negativity from Clintons, when it was them. That's why he lost Ohio, Texas, Pennsylvana, Rhode Island...AND INDIANA, of which he was supposed to win. They saw his negative ads, lies.

But, Richardson also shows he'll play gutter politics anytime, as long as he thinks he will benefit in the end.

Your example of him responding to a Clinton supporter is perfect. He didn't respond to the people, he further put down the Clintons, who did NOT make the statements. He said "they think they think their entitled" (again Obama talking point) and as you just said they are a “dynasty” and that they were “clinging to the throne.”

You gotta wash your hands when you deal with Richardson.

August 17, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  24. arlene, CA

I hope the party can get UNITY. Clinton was puting out a lot of mixed messages to her supporters, she did not sound sincere about supporting Obama. I think she did damage to Obama & just gave fuel to the Repubs to use against Obama. I still believe Hillary wants to be Pres & hopes Obama fails & she can prevail as the candidate. We keep hearing about the October Surprise. If not, she(Hillary) wants to run in 2012. I do not trust Hillary, trying to get Obama elected. She does not come accross as 100% for Obama. I do trust Bill Richardson. Obama/Richardson would be a winning ticket.

August 17, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  25. unitedwestanddevidedwefall

When are Americans going to stop hating. Far more can be accomplished if we focus on common needs of all Americans. Then focusing on beleifs that we differ and the color of an American's skin. We are all American First and we need to help all the poor, we need to help all the homeless,and we need to provide a quality education to all of our children. Division and hate is ruining this great country. The Replubicans are for dividing Americans to get their agenda pushed through. While jobs go overseas and the debt continue to rise higher and higher.

August 17, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |