August 17th, 2008

Richardson: I was a little 'uneasy' about a Clinton roll call

CNN

Watch Richardson share his thoughts on the convention and other topics.

(CNN) - New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson said he’s now comfortable with Sen. Hillary Clinton placing her name in nomination at the Democratic convention, but he admitted he was uneasy about the move at first.

“It's going to be placed in nomination in recognition of the 18 million votes that she got - her historic candidacy. But then she is going to pledge her delegates to Sen. Obama so that it's a unanimous - a unanimous election. That - that gives me comfort,” he said Sunday on CNN’s “Late Edition.”

“Until that had been worked out, I was a little uneasy about there being just a roll call without any transference of that support to Sen. Obama. But the point is the party is united.”

Last week, Barack Obama’s campaign said it encouraged Clinton to put her name in roll call "as a show of unity and in recognition of the historic race she ran and the fact that she was the first woman to compete in all of our nation's primary contests."

Clinton last month suggested that doing so could provide a "catharsis" for her supporters.

Richardson on Sunday called Clinton a “long-time friend” who “ran a great race.”

He and the New York senator were scheduled to hold two private fundraisers Sunday to help retire her campaign debt.

Things got ugly between Richardson and the Clintons after he endorsed Obama in March.

Richardson, who served as secretary of energy in Bill Clinton’s administration, said in April that he was "very close to endorsing" Clinton, but decided not to after the campaign became negative.

"The Clintons should get over this," he said in April.

His endorsement was viewed as an act of betrayal by some longtime supporters of the Clintons. CNN Political Analyst James Carville, who has long and deep ties to both Clintons, even likened Richardson’s endorsement to Judas’s betrayal of Christ.

Richardson responded to Carville’s criticisms by saying that Carville and other Clinton supporters believe they are a “dynasty” and that they were “clinging to the throne.”

1. bert gibbons

If all the del. that Edwards got and then Hillery = TRUMP

August 17, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  2. me in dc

I wouldn't get too comfortable Gov Richardson. I wouldn't put anything past the Clintons.

August 17, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  3. Diane Moore

Is there ever going to be a end to IT IS ALL ABOUT HILLARY nonsense. People are sick to death of hearing about the Clinton family

August 17, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  4. mel

Gov. Richardson do you think Gov. Kathleen will be okay as
    VP or Gov. Kaine. McCain is lying between his teeth on religion
    and local issues.

August 17, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  5. Tayo

Hillary has actually ran a very competitive campaign with a lot of negativity on Obama. With 18 million votes on in her kitty she deserve some recognition.

However, I do hope she will not steal Obama nomination at the convention, she seems too hungry to become the first female US president.

August 17, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  6. DR. YES

bill richardson is a good guy.this nation is lucky to have latinos like him. obama/clark '08

August 17, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  7. Caroline

I see richardson is still seeking publicity on the backs of his old friends, the Clintons. It occurred to me that he'll use any means to get his face on television.

August 17, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  8. rod

Bottom line is Unity in Denver and a new era of Hope and Change for Amarica starting on 1/20/2009

August 17, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  9. E>Dozois

No wonder RICHARDSON IS AFRAID,if a roll call is done Hillary will win and honesty is in no way richarson or OBAMAS way, they would rather steal an election,well MC Cain will now be in the white house for the next 4 yrs.thanks to them.

August 17, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  10. Matt, Manchester, CT

Haha, a "leader" of the "Democratic" party is afraid of delegates being pledged to a candidate they chose. I don't think this windbag could get any more hilarious.

August 17, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  11. Sandra Pinto

I salute the courage that it took for Governor Richardson to endorse Senator Obama considering his relationship with the Clintons. He obviouosly has the good of the country at heart and reognises the need for change. I was an avid supporter of both the Clintons throughout the Clinton presidencies and all the scandals but I have been sorely disappointed by the negative, almost childish behaviour coming from that camp. I have re-vised my thinking about the Clintons and did not like what I saw during the primaries. It was a revelation!!! a rude awakening I can understand why hitherto loyal supporters would move away from that machine.

August 17, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  12. Chris

Bill RIchardson is the best choice for a VP. His credencials on both foreign and domestic affairs are unmatched. He has charisma, he's a fellow minority, and he's perhaps the most intelligent, thoughtful moderate Democrat in the game. An Obama-Richardson ticket would be unbeatable, and good for the country in Washington.

August 17, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  13. Susan

So, I used to like this guy. Now I'm disgusted by how much of a publicity opportunist he has been at the expense of Hillary Clinton. Not only did the Clintons give him the notoriety that he now splashes all over the TV, but he does an interview whenever Hillary Clinton is the subject on the news. Too much of this talking head -

August 17, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  14. Ric

It's called a Democracy. People voted and they should be represented in the convention, even if it's a loss. It's simple as that. Richardson should get over it.

August 17, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  15. Michelle

Even if Hillary pledges her delegates to Sen. Obama
    he is not getting my vote
    he makes me sick
    Hillary has my vote

August 17, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  16. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

I still don't trust her and Bill. They are almost as power hungry as the McWarmonger.

Obama '08

August 17, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  17. New Mex Ex Thank G-d

Richardson is the clown governor of a clown state where failure is the norm, handouts are greater than in any other state, even Mississippi, and the people are proud to be Mexicans, not Americans. Speak Spanish, or you can't work in New Mexico in most fields. But there isn't much work anyway. Go away, clown.

August 17, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  18. Wynter

Richardson (and CNN) should get over it. Richardson "shouldn't" be talking period. As he stirred things up all by himself. And CNN shouldn't be rehashing OLD news and OLD quotes as if they just were said today.

This isn't news... period.

Wynter

August 17, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  19. Scott

What an absolute Obama synchophant! This guy hates Hillary Clinton so much, he obviously doesn't care that half the party voted for her. Let her name be placed for roll call. If Obama's support really is that strong he should have nothing to worry about.

August 17, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  20. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Bill Richardson is not the only person that left the Clinton camp to support Obama and he used his freedom of choice wisely.

August 17, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  21. elisabeth

Richardson is forever in my mind a judas – huge loser. He ís power hungry and sold out friends (didn't even take phonecalls from President Clinton) to get power.

August 17, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  22. Bill, Alabama

I'd like to know who Bill Richardson thinks that he is ...... as far as I am concerned, he is the governor of one of the poorest, most backward states that I have ever been in. I was born there, but now live elsewhere and New Mexico is in terrible shape.

It's like going to a third world country in terms of healthcare, the economy, public facilities, etc. He should worry about his own little backyard.

August 17, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  23. Dave, East Aurora NY

The question remains, as it has for years, is...Senator Clinton is a senator from New York, but when will she a senator FOR New York? There's more than one reason why the public gives Congress such low ratings these days, but here's another reason. People who work for a living and see their paycheck reduced for federal taxes would like to have a higher sense of confidence that the money is being spent wisely. I haven't a clue how she spends public money, other than running for an office that does not directly benefits New Yorkers, but she's been running for President since the day she got elected Senator, so I suppose it's too much to expect her to provide real benefits to working New Yorkers. Action speaks, empty words do not. What do 18 million people believe she is capable of accomplishing, other than casting a vote for being a woman or being proud of a politician who can't provide much in the way of honest answers?

August 17, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  24. Dayahka

He has a right to feel a little uneasy, for there is no telling what mischief the Clintons may cause.

August 17, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  25. Sarah

Always needing to stay in the limelight. Clintons are ego driven. I wish they would just go away.

August 17, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |