August 18th, 2008
1 year ago

Obama VP buzz squarely on Biden

Speculation is building Biden will be named Obama's running mate.
Speculation is building Biden will be named Obama's running mate.

(CNN) – When Joe Biden returns to Capitol Hill Monday from his two-day trip to embattled Georgia, vice presidential speculation will rest squarely on him.

The longtime Delaware senator and former presidential candidate has long been considered to be on the shortlist for Barack Obama's running mate, but his quickly-planned trip to Georgia Saturday night at the behest of that country's president left Washington buzzing he is the most likely choice.

Watch: Will it be Biden?

After all, the Georgia crisis appears to have put national security issues again at the forefront of the presidential campaign, and it's an issue where John McCain has long held the advantage over Obama. The Illinois senator, so the Beltway chatter goes, needs a running-mate with foreign policy experience now more than ever.

If Biden does aspire to be on the Democratic presidential ticket, the trip couldn't have come at a better time - reinforcing his lengthy resume on matters of foreign policy and reminding voters, and Obama, he is well respected by foreign leaders half a world away.

The trip also comes days before Obama is expected to reveal his VP choice - with only days remaining until the Democratic convention, the choice is expected to come this week.

CNN Political Market: Biden's stock on the rise

But of course Biden suggested before he left Saturday he isn't making the trip for political reasons.
"I am going to Georgia this weekend to get the facts first-hand and to show my support for Georgia’s people and its democratically-elected government," he said in a statement. "I look forward to reporting to my colleagues in the Senate and on the Foreign Relations Committee, as well as the Administration, about what I learn."

He may have one or two conversations with his colleague from Illinois too.

Related: Countdown is on for Obama's VP announcement

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Joe Biden
  1. Abby

I would be very happy with Bidon. Shame on Senator McCain for cheating on Saturday or even giving the elusion of cheating.

August 18, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  2. Erin

Obama has the disadvantage here on foreign policy. I still say no McCain, even with his experience! I will be writing in Hillary Clinton. No good choices for 2008!

August 18, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  3. NotFallingInLine.org

Biden, eh? All the great Democratic leaders must have turned Barack Obama down.

Good.

True Democrats across the country are happy to let Obama have Biden, who won't be missed when he's not in Hillary's VP shortlist in 2012.

Knoxville

August 18, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  4. Sherry, Atlanta

Great Choice, for VP

August 18, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  5. NoMcSame

Biden all the way. He does not take no crsp for the republicans.
    I read that Malcolm X once said that "the white man is the master of tricknology". After what I saw last week what Hillary said and what she is trying to pull on Obama at the convention and after seeing McSame's performance at the so called Faith Forum then finding out that Rick Warren LIED about where McSame was during the time that Obama was being questioned, I think that Malcolm told the truth.
    The Faith Forum was a SHAM and just like the rest of the MEGA MILLION church leaders Rick is a trick. He will fall just like the rest of them because he is using God to play games with Gods people and line his pockets with MONEY.

August 18, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  6. Moe, NY

Joe Biden would be a very good VP pick for Obama. I still wish it were Hillary for VP, but I find Biden to be a very wise choice on Obama's part, if indeed it is Biden.

August 18, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  7. Rose

CNN–WHY is the story about McCain's deceit in the Saddleback Forum not opened up to comments????

It is all over Huffington Post this morning.

Your bias toward McCain is showing again.

August 18, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  8. Anonymous

I want Obama to pick Biden. I so badly want to see Biden debate Romney, were he to be McCain's pick.

Biden would eat him alive.

August 18, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  9. Hello!!!

Huge mistake....Biden, Mr. Plagarist, Mr. Foot in Mouth man....brings NO numbers for BO.....and huge risk....
    Hillary or NO VOTE.......

August 18, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  10. 18 Million minus One

This is a great choice!

Obama/Biden 08

August 18, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  11. I'm over The Hill and voting Obama

For those who say 'Hillary 2012', you can’t win the democratic nomination or presidency without African Americans and she’s lost African Americans forever – especially if she causes Obama to lose by giving insincere support. Get a new dream. She will never be president.

August 18, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  12. Hollywoodaholic

Better for Secretary of State in the Obama administration. But I guess if they need the headline and cred now, it's okay.

August 18, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  13. Ron

It doesn't matter. The Clintons has already hijacked the convention for themselves.
    With the Clintons in the picture Obama does not have a chance. He will lose this election not because of Mc Cain but because of Bill & Hillary.
    I hope to see the day someone in the Democratic Party has the b!!!s to finally put the Clinton's in their place.
    Hillary is a joke, Bill is nothing but a moral leper, but still some people think this country could not survive without them.
    These 2 people make me want to puke !!!!

August 18, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  14. Andrew

Uninspiring.

August 18, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  15. Ellie in Aurora, CO

I won't be sorry! Biden truly gets the international issues and will be a great VP. An unstoppable team!

August 18, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  16. Jeremy

People vote for a president, not a vice president in an election. The fact of the matter still remains the same. Obama has no experience on the statue to serve as Commander in Chief.

August 18, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  17. Phantom of the Oprah

I have been a democrat since long before I cast my first democratic ballot (1972 in the year of the first 18 y/o vote) at age 18.

I am now 54 years old and have been politically active and a true blue democrat all these years.

NEVER have I seen a more repugnant and despicable UNdemocratic group of supporters- of either party- as the Cult of nasty worshippers that Obama has inspired to support him and secure his nomination.

Makes me ashamed to be a democrat. The very ideals we stand for have been betrayed by race-card playing, name-calling, insults and denigration of other democrats and of HRC.

That is fact. That will be a big factor in this election.

August 18, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  18. Bulldog

I like Joe Biden. The democrats needs someone to be able to deflect the GOP lies and attacks.

August 18, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  19. Obama Supporter from FL

"strip to Georgia?"

August 18, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  20. crooksandliars

Yes!!!!! Senator Biden will be a great VP! I'm looking forward to the TEXT announcement.

BARACK OBAMA 2008
    INTEGRITY!
    INTELLIGENCE!
    HONESTY!

August 18, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  21. Kris from AZ

Biden is one of the best us Dems have. I would love to see Obama/Biden ticket :)

August 18, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  22. angie - dallas -28

OMG!!! YESSSSSSSSSS. THIS WAS MY FIRST CHOICE FOR PRESIDENT. VERY SMART MOVE BARACK AND ROLL!!! HE CAN SPIN CIRCLES AROUND McCrACK ANYDAY!!!!!!

CHANGE GONNA COME- 08

August 18, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  23. McOLD

Barack Biden 08!!!

August 18, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  24. Ian

Maybe he'll be willing to talk about the looming $30 trillion social security bubble.

August 18, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  25. Joe Average

Too late! Obama has lost!

August 18, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |