August 18th, 2008
1 year ago

Obama VP buzz squarely on Biden

Speculation is building Biden will be named Obama's running mate.
Speculation is building Biden will be named Obama's running mate.

(CNN) – When Joe Biden returns to Capitol Hill Monday from his two-day trip to embattled Georgia, vice presidential speculation will rest squarely on him.

The longtime Delaware senator and former presidential candidate has long been considered to be on the shortlist for Barack Obama's running mate, but his quickly-planned trip to Georgia Saturday night at the behest of that country's president left Washington buzzing he is the most likely choice.

Watch: Will it be Biden?

After all, the Georgia crisis appears to have put national security issues again at the forefront of the presidential campaign, and it's an issue where John McCain has long held the advantage over Obama. The Illinois senator, so the Beltway chatter goes, needs a running-mate with foreign policy experience now more than ever.

If Biden does aspire to be on the Democratic presidential ticket, the trip couldn't have come at a better time - reinforcing his lengthy resume on matters of foreign policy and reminding voters, and Obama, he is well respected by foreign leaders half a world away.

The trip also comes days before Obama is expected to reveal his VP choice - with only days remaining until the Democratic convention, the choice is expected to come this week.

CNN Political Market: Biden's stock on the rise

But of course Biden suggested before he left Saturday he isn't making the trip for political reasons.
"I am going to Georgia this weekend to get the facts first-hand and to show my support for Georgia’s people and its democratically-elected government," he said in a statement. "I look forward to reporting to my colleagues in the Senate and on the Foreign Relations Committee, as well as the Administration, about what I learn."

He may have one or two conversations with his colleague from Illinois too.

Related: Countdown is on for Obama's VP announcement

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Joe Biden
  1. mike in kentucky

Biden? Joe Biden? Is he still around? I thought he retired and opened up a surf shop with John Kerry.

August 18, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  2. John from PA

If this country put ignorant idiots back into office. We are down the tubes. Our country will have finally reached a point of being morally and socially bankrupt.

Just because SHE didn't win. Come on. You need to get over it or your just as ignorant as them.

Pittsburgh

August 18, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  3. xddy4u

Obama, look no farther, we have your man Sen. Joe Biden. Presidential canidate in his own rights. He just didn't get out of the gate right. But the man is ooozing with experience. One that I believe
    won't mine, and rather relish in doing the "down under" work that's required of a VP. This should satisfy the "Experience" part of the ticket. Although Obama can hold his own in foreign matters.

August 18, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  4. Mike

Biden would be an outstanding choice. Thoughtful, intelligent, willing to say what he thinks, and tremendous experience. Obama / Biden - excellent leadership for this country!

August 18, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  5. Yankee Air Pirate

Oh,great choice.Two fools,Nobama & the liar.And you people wonder why Nobama will get smoked in November.

August 18, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  6. Scott, Minnesota

Good choice, but I wish that he would have tried to entice former senator, and ex-Navy SEAL (a real war hero with the congressional medal of honor to prove it)Bob Kerry out of retirement.

I'd like to see them try to swift boat him!!!

August 18, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  7. KJ

I would be very happy with this! Biden is a no nonsense guy just like Barack. Plus, I would get to tell everyone I told you so since I have been saying this would be a great team since day one! : )

August 18, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  8. Shane

Oh great... Imagine what kinds of bumper stickers and slogans the ignorant and childish among Republicans will use against a ticket with the names Obama and Biden. Obama doesn't have a chance without Hillary at his side. The Dems are preparing to shoot themselves in the foot once again. If the Dems don't win this time, they should disband and form completely new parties.

August 18, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  9. Kay

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Biden IS the "Straight Talk Express". That quality is what attracts some people to McCain, but Biden gives McCain a run for his money.

Biden, Biden, Biden!!!!

August 18, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  10. Keisha

Is Obama selling out to the man who said Obama is "articulate"? What an insult.

August 18, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  11. arc, Lugano CH

Senator Biden would be a good choice for VP.

A United Democratic Party can win in November; with or without Hillary and her bigots.

August 18, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  12. bobie

Obama needs Biden as VP. Since Obama has zero security or international experience, he needs a VP and a strong cabinet who can tell Obama what to do in crisis situations like in Russia/Georgia.

Obama needs a VP that can be his mentor and teach him how to run foreign affairs and how to protect this country.

Biden is a good pick for Obama.

August 18, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  13. Brandon - Gahanna, Ohio

I was very supportive of Joe Biden during his primary campaign. Most people just didn't respond well to how direct/blunt he is, but that is a quality I like very much. I have been hoping for weeks that Biden would be the VP. We gotta get rid of these Republican clowns in the WH and hopefully get this country turned around.

August 18, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  14. misspellings

"quickly-planned strip"

August 18, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  15. anna

I am still a little bitter about the Hillary thing, but I always said if he picked Biden he could redeem himself in my eyes. Not that he cares;)

August 18, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  16. ujw, ny

I agree that Biden is strong on foreign policy, and so would he be as Secretary of State. Imagine who you'd want for president if something happened to Obama – it's more than just foreign policy, plus he doesn't bring any battle ground states with him. Bayh may seem relatively unknown, and sort of vanilla, but they really love him in Indiana.

August 18, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  17. LF

For the good of our Country he is a wise choice on anybody's list for the VP position. The Republicans and others should take special note of this highly qualified individual, especially in foreign affairs.

August 18, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  18. Brandi Payton

(:I think Obama is going to choose Clinton as his running mate:)

August 18, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  19. KJ, GA

Good choice, hope to hear the news soon!

August 18, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  20. blaising

Biden's cool...works for me!!

August 18, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  21. Politico

I loooove Joe Biden, but he has a tendency to put his foot in his mouth (even though I typically agree 100% with everything he's saying). If not VP, I'd love to see him as Secretary of State.

August 18, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  22. carlo

Hello wrote:

Huge mistake….Biden, Mr. Plagarist, Mr. Foot in Mouth man….brings NO numbers for BO…..and huge risk….
    Hillary or NO VOTE…….
    ****************************************************************************

People like you are beyond help. There is an article on Huffington where Clinton's former chief of staff Panetta discusses how some of Hillary Clinton's supporters' sense of entitlement seems "inbred". I see what he is talking about. Joe Biden was accused of that 20 years ago. However, most of you are willing to vote for a man who cheated on and left his disable wife for a younger rich woman, and whose mother sued her disabled daughter in law for approximately $3,000.00 worth of crap. Really insightful of you.

August 18, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  23. Jeff

Better be Hillary Clinton for VP, or else I am going for Mccain.

Obama/Clinton 2008........or McCain 2008!!!!!

August 18, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  24. Mary

WHATEVER CHOICE OBAMA MAKE WILL BE HONORED.

CLINTON'S SUPPORTER.

I BELIEVE IN KEEPING THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY TOGETHER.

OBAMA HAS MY VOTE! HE IS THE BEST CHOICE!

August 18, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  25. Jesse, St. Louis Park, MN

Any Hillary supporter that won't vote for Obama yet thinks Hillary would have a chance in 2012 is dilusional. I would have voted for Hillary had she won the nomination this year.

The way she has turned her supporters into an angry mob, however, makes me realize that her whole presidency would just be about partisan anger, much like the last 10 years.

August 18, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |