August 18th, 2008

Obama VP buzz squarely on Biden

Speculation is building Biden will be named Obama's running mate.
Speculation is building Biden will be named Obama's running mate.

(CNN) – When Joe Biden returns to Capitol Hill Monday from his two-day trip to embattled Georgia, vice presidential speculation will rest squarely on him.

The longtime Delaware senator and former presidential candidate has long been considered to be on the shortlist for Barack Obama's running mate, but his quickly-planned trip to Georgia Saturday night at the behest of that country's president left Washington buzzing he is the most likely choice.

Watch: Will it be Biden?

After all, the Georgia crisis appears to have put national security issues again at the forefront of the presidential campaign, and it's an issue where John McCain has long held the advantage over Obama. The Illinois senator, so the Beltway chatter goes, needs a running-mate with foreign policy experience now more than ever.

If Biden does aspire to be on the Democratic presidential ticket, the trip couldn't have come at a better time - reinforcing his lengthy resume on matters of foreign policy and reminding voters, and Obama, he is well respected by foreign leaders half a world away.

The trip also comes days before Obama is expected to reveal his VP choice - with only days remaining until the Democratic convention, the choice is expected to come this week.

CNN Political Market: Biden's stock on the rise

But of course Biden suggested before he left Saturday he isn't making the trip for political reasons.
"I am going to Georgia this weekend to get the facts first-hand and to show my support for Georgia’s people and its democratically-elected government," he said in a statement. "I look forward to reporting to my colleagues in the Senate and on the Foreign Relations Committee, as well as the Administration, about what I learn."

He may have one or two conversations with his colleague from Illinois too.

Related: Countdown is on for Obama's VP announcement

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Joe Biden
  1. Larry D.

I think Joe Biden would be a great choice because he has foreign relations ties and he is a well known senator, Although I wish barack would pick hillary I don't think it will happen. I say OBAMA/BIDEN 08 :)

August 18, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  2. eric

Joe Biden makes me want to shower in burning gasoline. Talk about the master of slime. If Obama really snubs half the voting party to pick someone other than Hillary, I will join the McCain camp and spend the balance of the season working a battleground state for him.

Plain and simple.

August 18, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  3. Denise

I like Biden, but I was hoping he would not select a member of the Senate, as the Dems will have the advantage of a majority rule in the House. I prefer a Governor, but, as long as it is not Hillary, I do not care

August 18, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  4. Obama supporter:White, 60 year old woman

I hope it is Biden. He won't take any of the Republican smears, lies and intimidation.

Is CNN afraid that McCain will want to have a talk with you as he does with NBC for outing him and Warren for the lie that he was in the "cone of silence"? They both broke the rules period.
    Disgraceful that no comments were allowed for this blog!! Shame on you!

August 18, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  5. JC

Horrendous choice – NO CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN.
    Bill Richardson for VP or Bust!

August 18, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  6. DW, NY FOR OBAMA '08

Oh YES!!!! I love Biden!!!! Great Pick!!!! My man, Biden, doesn't take no BS, if you know what I mean. He'll run circles around McSame.

Give up HRC supporters. It's NOT going to happen. Get over it already.

Obama/Biden, 2008

August 18, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  7. Los

Obama could pick a ham sandwich as his running mate and I'd still vote for him over any republican.

August 18, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  8. TonyS

I would be thrilled with Biden. A Democrat who voted FOR the war in Iraq. Go, Joe, GO.

August 18, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  9. Jan, Knoxville, TN

This is great news! Joe Biden is just what the ticket needs. GO OBAMA!

August 18, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  10. Gina in Racine Wi

Just like I predicted that Obama would run (successfully) for the Presidency in 2008 (and he will) after hearing him speak at the 2004 Democratic Convention....I also have predicted that Biden would be Obama's running mate.

We are ready for Change and lets face it.....Biden shows strength where Obama is perceived to be weak (and that is just the GOP and the Media talking)....and vise versa.

Obama/Biden '08

August 18, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  11. Katherine / Belvidere, Il

I think that Joe Biden would be an excellent choice for VP.

As for Sen. McCain possibly hearing some of the questions asked at the forum on Saturday I felt like he gave some of his answers too quickly as if he knew what was going to be asked. That just screams Karl Rove!

August 18, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  12. chris s

hillary who in 2012?

These die hard & bitter hanger on'ers remind me of the "clingon" ex girlfriend type who won't stop calling and/or showing up at your known hang outs even though you broke up with them months ago....

The whole world is already way beyond over it – when will you be?

August 18, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  13. dan rogers

While leaning toward Sen. Obama as my choice in november, if he picks Joe Biden as his V.P. running mate, he will definately have my vote!

August 18, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  14. sharon

Crooksandlers, are you kidding?BARACK OBAMA 2008
    INTEGRITY!
    INTELLIGENCE!
    HONESTY!

August 18, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  15. John

I'm a republican who already voted for Barack Obama in the primaries here. BUT, if he comes out with either Hillary or Joe Biden as his running made, I am definitely jumping ship back over to McCain.

August 18, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  16. LaShanda

Biden would be perfect! The guy is a fighter! Come on Dems, let's bring back intelligence to the White House!

August 18, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  17. Cara

None...Verb....POW. The POW pandering is beyong the pale.

August 18, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  18. Carl from MI

Yeah... that's it!! "All the great Democratic leaders must have turned Barack Obama down." That is the LEAST INFORMED, LEAST FACTUAL STATEMENT, LEAST INTELLIGENT STATEMENT regarding Obama's VP search. Which great leaders did you specifically were you talking about?? Care to name a few, or are you just spewing lame statements with no factual evidence to back it up.

Biden is currently one of the greatest Democratic leaders on Capitol Hill... and definitely MORE experienced in foreign policy than McCain or his choice for VP EVER will be. THAT is more than likely one of the deciding factors to make Biden his VP choice.

Our nation's current foreign policy is a train wreck, thanks to GWB and gang... it's time to restore our nation's glory BACK to what it was before GWB made our foreign policy the laughing stock of the world.

August 18, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  19. bob j

i like biden he will be a great choice i still wish hillary was the vp choice and make biden sec of state but i am a huge fan of sen obama obama 08

August 18, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  20. white female

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS,you are so RIGHT(NOMcSAME) this was such a sham by Rick Warren that DEVIL, But God sees all and hears all.
    So just sit back and watch God work..They will all have to answer to their EVIL DURING. Just as Sen. Obama stated God is in Everything, and he will handle it just watch and see. We who knows that this is all in Gods hands, we may not call ourselves (evan-glee-shams) but they will find that God made each and everyone of us no matter what color of faith we process. I think that more people saw what a SHAM of tricknology was played on Saturday night by Rick Warren and John Mccain. But I felt the overall people in the forum was very nice and polite towards Sen. Obama.
    Sen. Obama 08/16

August 18, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  21. Brad Burklow, Harrisburg, IL

I like Biden and think he would be a good pick for vp overall. He would be a formidable attack dog for Obama, especially on national security. He's a sharp debater that seems to have improved on his earlier tendency to be a blowhardish wind bag. Another point in his favor that is lesser known is that he gives one of the best stump speeches around, compared to Bayh, who gives one of the worst. One could envision a 1-2 Biden-Obama rhetorical punch at the convention that would really get the emotional juices flowing for the home stretch run.

August 18, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  22. BJ, Texas

Obama-Biden, sound too much like Osama-Bin Laden. Same difference. Nobama has terroist ties and Biden is a plagiarist. Go ahead Nobama, pick him. Make our day!

August 18, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  23. lenny

This weekend I saw Obama new TV ad and it had at the end Barrack Obama President. He thinks he won already.

August 18, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  24. sharon

Crooksandlers, are you kidding? BARACK OBAMA 08......
    INTEGRITY!
    INTELLIGENCE!
    HONESTY!

Mr. BO changes his 'tune' and his mind as often as Elizabeth Taylor changed husbands. Mr.BO stands for nothing except what he can pull over on the voters. Name an accomplishment. Name a position he takes on any issue. With his style he would be much more qualified to run for student body president. He scares me to death!!!

August 18, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  25. Super delegate NJ

Vice Presidential candidates will have no effect on this election. Democrats have a flagrantly flawed candidate and they keep looking for ways to improve his image. They need at least 10 years and some major therapy for him. Hurry up and crown him in Denver and see what will happen thereafter.

August 18, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |