August 18th, 2008

Obama VP buzz squarely on Biden

Speculation is building Biden will be named Obama's running mate.
Speculation is building Biden will be named Obama's running mate.

(CNN) – When Joe Biden returns to Capitol Hill Monday from his two-day trip to embattled Georgia, vice presidential speculation will rest squarely on him.

The longtime Delaware senator and former presidential candidate has long been considered to be on the shortlist for Barack Obama's running mate, but his quickly-planned trip to Georgia Saturday night at the behest of that country's president left Washington buzzing he is the most likely choice.

Watch: Will it be Biden?

After all, the Georgia crisis appears to have put national security issues again at the forefront of the presidential campaign, and it's an issue where John McCain has long held the advantage over Obama. The Illinois senator, so the Beltway chatter goes, needs a running-mate with foreign policy experience now more than ever.

If Biden does aspire to be on the Democratic presidential ticket, the trip couldn't have come at a better time - reinforcing his lengthy resume on matters of foreign policy and reminding voters, and Obama, he is well respected by foreign leaders half a world away.

The trip also comes days before Obama is expected to reveal his VP choice - with only days remaining until the Democratic convention, the choice is expected to come this week.

CNN Political Market: Biden's stock on the rise

But of course Biden suggested before he left Saturday he isn't making the trip for political reasons.
"I am going to Georgia this weekend to get the facts first-hand and to show my support for Georgia’s people and its democratically-elected government," he said in a statement. "I look forward to reporting to my colleagues in the Senate and on the Foreign Relations Committee, as well as the Administration, about what I learn."

He may have one or two conversations with his colleague from Illinois too.

Related: Countdown is on for Obama's VP announcement

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Joe Biden
  1. Marilyn

I would have voted for Biden for President, but having him on the ticket as VP will not make me vote for Obama.

August 18, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  2. Xavier

August 18, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  3. dmw

Biden is boring, a loud mouth, old and has been in WDC forever.

What happened to the new type of politics? We are going to change Washington? The scream from Obama and his ilk that Hillary has been in Washington too long? We need new blood? Change we can believe in??

It turns out with Obama there is nothing you can believe in other than he will try to win at all cost. Flip-flop-flip-flop!!! I will have a big smile on my face if he picks Biden as his V.P.

No matter, I am still voting for Hillary in November. She was the best qualified for this job and we got stuck with Obama thanks to the Superdelegates.

August 18, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  4. AL in West Palm Beach, FL

Since I will get the e-mail first CNN...... I will have have it POP3 to your inbox as well.

That's an election for the people, funded by the people and the president will be of the people.

August 18, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  5. Phil Newton Murphy, Oregon

The short list has all good choices.

Obama looks great rolling into the Convention.

OBAMA 08

August 18, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  6. Kent Fitzsimmons,Kewanee, IL

Biden, Hagel, or Hillary? They have been pretty quiet about Hillary for quite some time which leads me to believe she may be the VP. That would allow for alot of momentum going into the convention and there would not be a roll call vote. Hagel is very possible. No Dem seats lost there. Biden? I still don't see it.................

August 18, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  7. LUIS IN MIAMI

I guess we want to loose November... no party unity I guess.

August 18, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  8. Dianne

I would be very pleased with Biden. He would only advance Obama's chance of win the election. It would give more of National Security to the ticket. There is a real difference between the candidates. The Forum Saturday proved that. Obama answered the question with clearly and nononsense. McCain only did his stump speech about Military and stories about being POW. He tried to tug on Americans heart. POW experience does not have anything to be President. What is he going to do for America as President. We learned a lot more about Obama where he stands on issues. McCain's war stories was all he talked about..

August 18, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  9. Accountant Guy

I hope so, as I think he would make an awesome VP. Obama and Biden would be a very good ticket!!

Obama/Biden '08

August 18, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  10. M. Winners, Mesa, AZ

Obama could pick just about any one and I would vote for him. Picking Joe Biden only underscores his world awareness and the fact that he is "ready to lead from day one"...

August 18, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  11. prince nare

go obama 08

August 18, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  12. Brian S.

Angry Hillary supporters in 3...

2...

1...

August 18, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  13. jeanette

Either Bden or Webb will be a great choice.
    Evan Bayh the worst choice possible.

August 18, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  14. test

test

August 18, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  15. Mark in Florida

I love Biden. Obama needs someone to wrap Bush/Cheney around McGAFFE's neck and toss him in the river for good.

Obama/Biden 08!

August 18, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  16. Redneck from Kentucky

I hope Obama does name Biden. Biden has more foreign policy credentials than McCain and is more experienced AND more respected than either McCain or Obama

August 18, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  17. RJ, CA

But isn't Biden too OLD? After all, he's 66 - and only 6 years younger than McCain!

August 18, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  18. Deena

My prayer will be answered because I want either Biden or Bayh! But I can't get Biden out of my mind today so I'm going for him. Come on Obama–this is too much drama!
    Obama/ Biden, 08

August 18, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  19. amber

That would be stupid. He has a problem staying on message and lashes out sometimes.

There really is NO logical reason for not picking HIllary Clinton. She's tested, she's vetted, she's brilliant, she's ready, and millions of people voted for her so obviously half of America wants her to be involved. Obama's only excuse not to pick her would be that he can't get over his own ego.

And Bill is not a factor. He wouldn't be in the White House. They ARE two distinct people ya know...Bill & Hillary. She has a mind of her own. He's had his turn; he won't be involved again.

August 18, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  20. Torrance, CA

It's too bad when the world is watching, the PRESUMPTIVE Democratic candidate (Obama) shows his INEXPERIENCE and sends Biden to do his work for him. Didn't Biden say HE had the experience during the primaries? Didn't Biden run for the top spot?

Why elect a candidate because CNN, Anderson Cooper, the political pundits, Howard 'YEEHAW' I'll give you have of the votes anyway, Dean, Pelosi and Reid say we should....no reason whatsoever!

Listen, in 79 days the American voting public can make a difference in selecting our next President. Make sure you select the one with the EXPERIENCE and foresight to pick a VP candidate who can become a part of the team and not just be the surrogate leader of the band.

Hillary Clinton ran on principles and ideals which 18 million+ americans shared. Her name will be placed in nomination because that's how it's suppose to be done. The only backroom deal that counts is who in your family brings the popcorn to the greatest show on earth whch starts in 7 days!

While Barnum and Bailey couldn't have scripted a better CIRCUS than that the Democrats will present...remember at the end of the day, at 3am, when the call comes....who do you want in the White House to answer it?...OR who will straight talk the answer in 30 seconds vs. whom will talk for hours without knowing what question to ask.

If Obama does not select HILLARY for VP – GO JOHNNIE MCCAIN!

August 18, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  21. joeknows

Just as long as Obama doesn't pick Tim Kaine

August 18, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  22. Willam from Texas

My vote for prez will be for Hillary Clinton.

August 18, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  23. Slowpoke

Shutup about this VP speculation crap. You say something different each day.

We don't need news reports on you changing your mind.

August 18, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  24. David

Joe Biden...liar, plagiarist.....just like Obama.

This is getting funnier by the hour!

August 18, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  25. voates88@comcast.net

Joe Biden would be a very good VP for Obama but I hope and pray that Obama don't pick Hillary Clinton due to her sour grapes supporters and herself. Obama would be more comfortable with people who he like not someone trying to steal the presidential nomination from him.

Rahni, Connecticut