August 18th, 2008

Obama camp suggests women won't back McCain

Sen. Obama met with a largely female group at a campaign event in New Mexico Monday.

(CNN) – About a week before Hillary Clinton is set to speak at the Democratic convention, Barack Obama’s campaign is aggressively making the argument that John McCain’s can’t win over women voters.

Former Hillary Clinton aide Dana Singiser, who oversees Barack Obama’s women’s outreach efforts, said in a Monday memo that McCain’s major effort to reach women voters – announced as Clinton’s active campaign drew to a close – was vital because he had fallen so far behind his Democratic opponent. “Despite his campaign’s outreach efforts, McCain’s attempt to bridge the gender gap has fallen flat,” wrote Singiser.

The McCain campaign did not respond to Singiser’s memo, but did respond to Obama’s Monday criticizing a recent Supreme Court ruling limiting gender discrimination lawsuits. “Barack Obama is spinning this issue to disguise his support for higher taxes, and refusing to acknowledge that the legislation he’s promoting has more to do with paychecks for trial lawyers than the struggles of working women,” Bounds said.

Women favored Obama over McCain by nearly 20 points – 57 percent to 39 percent – in a recent CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll. In the same survey, men favored McCain by 6 points – 50 percent for McCain compared to 44 percent for Obama. The poll of approximately 500 registered male and 500 registered female voters was conducted July 27-29. The margin of error for both groups is plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

Late last week, Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean said that women were more successful in his party than in the Republican Party. Carly Fiorina, chair of the Republican Party's Victory 2008 campaign, said Dean’s comments were “insulting, inappropriate and have no place in this election.”

1. Dem

McCain doesn't give a crap about women or their rights

Look how he treats his wife and what he calls her

Look how he treated his ex-wife

August 18, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  2. Irene

I am a woman and I AM voting for Senator McCain without a doubt! I know many more who are as well. Does Senator Obama live in the same U.S.A. as the rest of us? I agree with Lisa, he's out of touch.

August 18, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  3. Peter (CA)

Why should McCain care about women's issues? He has not been very respectful of his own wife (both of them actually).

No, personal rights will come under attack if ideologues like Scalia, Alito, and Thomas get on the Supreme Court. Because it isn't about the good of the country or its citizens, it's about making life better for his friends (the guys who make $5M a year).

August 18, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  4. Kitten for Obama

Let the polls speak for themselves. Obama is not out of touch try McCain who is trying to do and say anything to wheel the votes in and then the hammer fall. The women need to think hard about this election John McCain doesn't care anything about the women unless you are worth more than Cindy. This is real!!!

August 18, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  5. dee

Lisa,

you may actually be the one out of touch!

Both McCain and Obama are in touch with whom they represent.

That tactic will not work.

It did not work for McCains friend Hillary

Change will come in the name of

Obama

Youth are as motivated as they were in the 60s

That was mor than likey you back then.

Obama 08

McCain will say anything like Hillary

Huckabee would have done the GOP better, Of course time will tell.

August 18, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  6. Sheri

I'm a woman and I will not back McCain, I don't even like him.
    Why is my comment still awaiting moderation?

August 18, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  7. Pepo

I would rather vote for the devil than for this old, cheating, pathetic old fool. I am a woman for will vote proudly for Obama !

August 18, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  8. Jim, San Jose

And coming from Carly???
    Women who vote republican are doing just what their husbands tell them to do.
    Women who think for themselves vote Democratic. That's the party that respects women and their ability to make up their own mind.

August 18, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  9. Todd

I may not be a woman, but I am a gay man, and I can tell you adamantly that I will take me democratic A "doublesnakes" to the poles and vote for John McCain, and to heck with rights...I'd rather have the supreme court be full of right wing necons than give a dollar, or a pile of dung about Obama, his campaign, or his "faithful" haters.

August 18, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  10. EDW

SEN. MCCAIN: A union - a union between man and woman, between one man and one woman. That's my definition of marriage. (Applause.)
    Are we going to get back to the importance of Supreme Court justices, or should I mention it?

REV. WARREN: We will get to that.

SEN. MCCAIN: Okay. All right. (Laughter.) Okay.

REV. WARREN: Man, you're jumping ahead. You know all my questions.

SEN. MCCAIN: No, no, that's - when we speak of the issue of the rights of the unborn, we need to talk about judges. But anyway, go ahead.

WHY GO BACK TO SOMETHING THAT WAS NOT SAID!!! THIS WAS A FRAUD!!!

August 18, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  11. Jim

As a guy, I'm glad to see women who care about real issues will vote in large numbers for Obama vs. McCain – as my two daughters (ages 23 and 21) will do for the first time in their lives! McCain is pathetic when it comes to issues affecting women.

August 18, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  12. Louise in North Carolina

Please comment on why Obama wears a flag pin and McCain does not? I just realized that I have never seen one on McCain.

August 18, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  13. Dolly

A few months back Obama called a female reporter sweetie. Later when talking to some female senators he said Hillary supporters would just have to get over it. Guess what!!! This sweetie doesn't have to get over anything. After being a life long democrat, I'll be voting republican. We saw what happened when there was a one party house, senate, and president with GW We need checks and balances. If Hillary had gotten the nomination, this wouldn't have been a problem. The good old boys wouldn't have let her get away with anything, I for one have learned a lesson. To much power for either party isn't a good thing.

August 18, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  14. Rich

If you watched the Saddleback event you saw an ill prepaired underexperienced young man with a very unimpressive resume for the position he seeks attempting to questions and a competent man of considerable experience and accomplishment answering questions. McCain is ready to be president. Obama needs to learn to lead a senate meeting or a business before he trys again.

August 18, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  15. RB

Why would they? Just look at poor Cindy's hand after John caught her reaching for the American Express card again! "I'll teach you how to spend $850K in one month!! Don't you know Obama's the elitist?!!!"

August 18, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  16. Erika, KS

Don't be so sure. RvW is not going to be overturned. Precedence has been set on the abortion issue. I grow weary of such a personal decision being a political pawn. The fact is, there are more pressing issues in the world. Issues that require the experience and leadership of a seasoned man. This is one woman and former democrat that is voting for McCain based on experience. Sorry Nobama.

August 18, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  17. Daryl

Perhaps we should start reporting the news appropriately. Howard Dean said that the WHITE PARTY meaning the Republican party is less cohesive to women. What a twist of statement.....That is when Carlie replied. Get a grip people and start reporting the REAL news.

August 18, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  18. Grandma

Does McCain ever do anything besides complain Obama for 2008

August 18, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  19. Tanya

How would Obama and his "camp" know??? He always condescended
    to Clinton's supporters instead of having a respectful dialog with them. I suppose it is not as glamorous as playing to Berlin crowds.

August 18, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  20. KG

The Obama camp better wisen up. I know a lot of women ages 25-85 who are not voting for him. Why? Because Obama is a wimp, he's naive, he's inexperienced, and he has not core policies. Women want a candidate they see as strong, decisive, and will fight for what he believes in. Obama has not shown those qualities.

August 18, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  21. no possible way

Women are not fooled. Chameleon Obama team. Any vote against is better for women. Huge disappointment. No more indifference to the process. Stand up and Vote Against Obama.

August 18, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  22. Billie Blanco

It sounds like Obama has figured out what no man in history has been able to figure out. He knows what women are thinking. That must be how he stayed ahead of Hillary.

August 18, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  23. California Gold

Obama is right.

I'm a woman and I'm NOT backing McCain. No Way. No How. Never!

August 18, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  24. J.C.

It seems there is still doubt about whether or not McCain already knew about the questions Pastor Warren had asked Obama.

Are the Obama supporters now saying McCain did much better than Obama in their first debate?

August 18, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  25. Copperfield

Remember when

McCain's answer for his biggest moral failure was:

"My first failed marriage?"

Look into that.