August 18th, 2008

Obama camp suggests women won't back McCain

Sen. Obama met with a largely female group at a campaign event in New Mexico Monday.

(CNN) – About a week before Hillary Clinton is set to speak at the Democratic convention, Barack Obama’s campaign is aggressively making the argument that John McCain’s can’t win over women voters.

Former Hillary Clinton aide Dana Singiser, who oversees Barack Obama’s women’s outreach efforts, said in a Monday memo that McCain’s major effort to reach women voters – announced as Clinton’s active campaign drew to a close – was vital because he had fallen so far behind his Democratic opponent. “Despite his campaign’s outreach efforts, McCain’s attempt to bridge the gender gap has fallen flat,” wrote Singiser.

The McCain campaign did not respond to Singiser’s memo, but did respond to Obama’s Monday criticizing a recent Supreme Court ruling limiting gender discrimination lawsuits. “Barack Obama is spinning this issue to disguise his support for higher taxes, and refusing to acknowledge that the legislation he’s promoting has more to do with paychecks for trial lawyers than the struggles of working women,” Bounds said.

Women favored Obama over McCain by nearly 20 points – 57 percent to 39 percent – in a recent CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll. In the same survey, men favored McCain by 6 points – 50 percent for McCain compared to 44 percent for Obama. The poll of approximately 500 registered male and 500 registered female voters was conducted July 27-29. The margin of error for both groups is plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

Late last week, Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean said that women were more successful in his party than in the Republican Party. Carly Fiorina, chair of the Republican Party's Victory 2008 campaign, said Dean’s comments were “insulting, inappropriate and have no place in this election.”

1. Ali from NJ

Go PUMA!

August 18, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  2. None of the Above 08

I am firmly in Obama's demographic for women voters.

Neither he nor McCain will ever get my vote.

August 18, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  3. Ali from NJ

Rezko, Reverend Wright, Father Plaeger, not recognizing Florida and Michigan............tell me what woman or American would vote for this guy?
    He's scarey, no expereience and too far out.

August 18, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  4. DR. YES

if you are a woman who stands by her man?vote obama.
    if your a woman who stands behind your man?vote mccain.
    simple.

August 18, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  5. Linda K.

I wish I could understand the Hillary supporters. I really do. In over 30 years of voting I've had candidates I supported who lost. When some were defeated by men such as Ronald Reagan and GW Bush, I was certain the winners would damage our country–and I was right. Even if my Democratic favorite lost in the primary, though, I took it like a grown-up. My mother taught me good sportsmanship when I was very young. Five-year olds know you have to play by the rules.

But Hillary supporters continue to whine and groan and gnash their teeth. How many have actually read Obama's policy statements? How many know his plans for this country? How many have taken the time to listen to him?

Obama did make a few negative comments to Hillary, but it was nothing compared to the kitchen sink she threw at him. Overall, he took the criticism with grace. And I'm not a blind follower or a "Kool-Aid drinker." I'm an educated woman who knows a leader when she sees one.

We are talking about our country. Do you want four more years of economic downturn–it's only a recession so maybe we should try for a depression. Do you really like sending your kids off to war? Do you enjoy having your consitutional rights taken away from you? Maybe you get a kick out of being spied on. Do you really want the next four years to be like the last eight have been?

August 18, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  6. A Latte Lover, Seattle, WA

Obama I am a supporter of yours, but you are wrong that women won't vote for McCain. Those that do not care about their rights, and those that are mad (PUMA's) about Hillary's loss will support McCain.

Older white woman only for Obama/Biden, 08

August 18, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  7. k6438

How this idiot can say that women will not vote for McCain

August 18, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  8. Ridgeway

If women in the Democratic Party are more successful why isn't Hillary the nominee? Dean is an idiot. Always has been, always will be.
    I would like for one of the Democratic women out there to name one thing of national or international importance Hussein has done.
    I'll wait a few minutes. After that I have to go to bed as I have to get up early to go to work.
    On the other hand you Obama folks will have all night to think about it no doubt.

August 18, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  9. None of the Above 08

August 18th, 2008 8:25 pm ET

Patricia la Latina August 18th, 2008 7:45 pm ET

NoBama in mi Casa. My son he is in Iraq and I don want this man
    for Presidente. This Latina is for McCain.
    _______________________________________
    Wow, Senator Mccain helped put your son in Iraq and wants to keep him there and you SUPPORT him? As a mother, I simply can't see how you would do that. I would NEVER support anyone that put my son in harms way…….NEVER………………
    *********************************************************************
    The only way McCain or the US government could put any person's son in harm's way is if the draft was instituted.

For decades we have had an all volunteer military. No one has been drafted. Men and women sign up voluntarily to join the military.

By definition a military is sent to fight wars and protect its nation. When someone signs up the possibility always exists that the person will be sent to fight.

Perhaps you just have a problem with the existence of a military in general? I wouldn't be surprised if you also hold the false belief that all conflicts can be resolved through talking and then sitting around a campfire and singing kum by ya.

August 18, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  10. Rave

I think women are not dumb enough to believe George Bush was a god's messenger and the next messenger will be McCain...like some men believe in the middle of our country.
    Women are smarter and they dont fall for this kind of crap..
    If you believe just in Bible and Republican party.. then very soon there will be a new country taking our jobs..i guess it will be Philipines...
    Wake the F UP
    OBAMA (2008 -16)

August 18, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  11. James

Why haven't we seen any stories envolving McCain's children from his first marriage?

Could it be that they don't respect him? Are they refusing to be interviewed or are McCain's koolaid sippers, the mainstream media, protecting him like they did Edwards by not bringing attention to his adulterous past? Did McCain threaten them not to make any public statements?

Or that they are following the golden rule-

If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all. I think that lack of support says volumes about not only McCain's family values but also his morals and his ethics.

August 18, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  12. GG

I am growing weary of being told by the Obama camp about women. Women value many things that Democrats support. However, we also value integrity. Obama is a bit lacking. We value honesty. Obama has some difficulty with clarity on many issues. And we value respect. Obama hasn't given us any since the start of his campaign. He is unlikely to do so now....unless he can fake it for political expediency, of course.

August 18, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  13. whollycow

What is she (Carly?) talking about. Dean said women were sucessful!
    "Her comment there is no place for comments like that?????????
    I'm a woman and I love being told that! please stop grasping!

ALSO DID YOU GET A LOOK AT THE SEAL w/Cross of McCain ........
    Please go back to home page McCain has found GOD!
    Maybe he will make peace not WAR!

August 18, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  14. Former GOP Allen TX Obama Supporter

Im a woman and I will NOT be voiting for McCain!
    Im a republican who supports Obama

August 18, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  15. kathy

well you better think again ............woman have a six sence and we do not trust you at all

August 18, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  16. Patricia Barras

Do you want the majority of women to vote for OBama? Then simply...put Hillary on the tickey!? Not complicated at all.
    She can handle Bill........

August 18, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  17. Patricia Barras

Do you want the majority of women to vote for OBama? Then simply...put Hillary on the ticket? Not complicated at all.
    She can handle Bill........

August 18, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  18. anonymous

I am a woman and I DO NOT support any of these people.

August 18, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  19. What a cutie!

The more I see of McCain the more I like. A young democratic woman voting for McCain. He is such a cutie.

August 18, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  20. Reality Check Richmond Virginia

well if they enjoy equal rights they won't vote for McCain. McCain doesn't believe women should be able to control their own bodies.

August 18, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  21. anonymous

I am a woman and I sure would not vote for Hillary Clinton .

August 18, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  22. BillDemo

Hillary Clinton supporters are voting for McCain in the general election. We know all about Obama's shady style of politics and we refuse to support him.

August 18, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  23. John Smith

Why did McCain not tell Pastor Warren during the focus meeting that he (McCain) was not in the quiet area when Obama was being interviewed?

Is McCain an honest man? Now, he has made Pastor Warren look like a lier! There you have it America; there is need for honesty in this nation!

August 18, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  24. Joe Kiloz

Mc Cain talks to all of us. He doesn't practice race/gender politics, that's

why the great reception he got at Saddleback. He put away Obama with

Honor and intergrity, something Obama's millions can't buy him.

Extremely interesting to see Obama melt without teleprompter.

PREDICTION: Obama will say only one debate is needed since people

have already heard quite a bit from him. OBAMA EXPOSURE: reveals

his weaknesses. Dare you to print it.

August 18, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  25. No Socialist, NY

Louise in North Carolina – Get serious! McCain has CLEARLY PROVEN he is patriotic by his military service. (Whoops – The libs don't like to be reminded of that.) TOO BAD FOR THEM; THIS IS ONE AMERICAN CITIZEN WHO APPRECIATES THAT SERVICE AND WILL NOT FORGET IT. Pff. I can't even believe you needed someone to comment on this.

Rich is correct and Americans are finally realizing it; well, at least the ones that are interested in the record of facts.

August 18, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |