August 18th, 2008

Obama: I will win

Obama raised $7.8 million Sunday night and told donors, “I will win.”
Obama raised $7.8 million Sunday night and told donors, “I will win.”

(CNN) – The staggering $7.8 million Barack Obama pulled in Sunday night in San Francisco was the latest sign he’s winning the presidential money chase — and the presumptive Democratic nominee made it clear he’s expecting to win another race as well.

“I will win. Don’t worry about that,” Obama said to a gathering of approximately 1,300 donors, according to a pool report of the event.

A confident Obama addressed three separate groups, but was particularly forceful during the final part of the evening, saying it would be nice if after the last eight years of economic disaster and “bungled” foreign policy that voters would say, “Toss the bums out, we’re starting from scratch, we’re starting over. This is not working.”

“So I understand why a lot of folks are saying, this should just happen. Why are we having to run all these television commercials? Why do we have to raise all this money?” Obama asked the crowd. “Just read the papers. These are the knuckleheads who have been in charge. Throw ‘em out. But American politics aren’t that simple.”

Obama warned, “they’ve got a whole machinery that they’re cranking out,” but said he won’t take attacks lying down.

“John McCain, all he wants to do is talk about me. They know they can’t win on the issues. So what they’ll do is they’ll try to scare people. He’s risky. He’s risky. We’re not sure,” said the Illinois senator.

Obama went on to call the tactics “an old playbook” and said it’s not going to work this time.

“Not only do you have a candidate who doesn’t take any guff. Not only do you have a candidate who will hit back swiftly and forcefully and truthfully,” Obama closed. “But you’ve also got American people who are rising up all over the country and saying, enough is enough.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Andy J, NY

And if you do win, everyone must genuflect and bow in humbleness to our supreme leader and messiah

can this guy be any more arrogant?

I'm white and i will never vote for Obama.

Guess that makes me a racist. It doesn't matter that i don't support Obama's victim mentality and socialist agenda.

Here is some Obama math:

White + No vote for Obama = racist bigot.

August 18, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  2. NotFallingInLine.org

I find most interesting that boh candidates have changed in some positions.

Senator Obama has been most consistant about making America's home issue first and most important.

Senator McCain has been most consistant about being prepared for war.

Yet, so many are willing to align themselves to a candidate who has warned us for months that there will be more wars and deaths in the near future and he is willing to take us there.

I used to think that John McCain was dumb. Now, I know that I am wrong. He is smart enough to know that Americans don't want to think. They want a leader who will tell them that they are the best then send them to thier deaths. Then, they turn around and complain about what the person they chose has done to the country. John McCain knows that most Americans have a much shorter memory than him. Thus, all he needs to does is continually change his surface message and at the same time continue pushing his war plans. I can actually see him win the Presidency because poeple are simply dumb.

August 18, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  3. Jay

Glad to hear Obama is finally hitting back hard. Keep swinging Barack!

Obama '08!

August 18, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  4. Amy

YES YOU WILL WIN! It's so good to hear you say that!

August 18, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  5. BR

Look at the kool-aid drinkers lapping it up. Unless I can't understand polls right, it looks as though the Messiah is slipping. Maybe it is because he is nothing when not reading from a teleprompter.

August 18, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  6. Anonymous

I am convinced that Obama will win - even more so when when the McCain advicates only show the one poll where both Obama and McCain are tied.

My own personal guess is Obama will win by 10%

Now don't get me wrong I don't hate McCain, I just think that the Republican mind set has caused a generation's worth of problems and the problems need to be fixed.

August 18, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  7. Penelope

I can live Biden... and unlike Clinton... I believe he won't say or do anything to hurt this nation or Obama...

August 18, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  8. Dan

Barack, you may win in Chicago and San Francisco. You cannot be our President. You do not desreve it. Go away, you joker.

August 18, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  9. keepitreal50

Oh yeah, Just like McCain didn't hear the question that was asked of him that he did answer.

August 18, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  10. Oh! The Irony

Wait a minute. Obama is arrogant because he says, "I will win." Isn't he supposed to think that and isn't he supposed to display confidence? I'm glad he's confident in his abilities. Why want a Doubting Thomas as president.

For those comparing Bush arrogance and the supposed Obama arrogance...not even close.

August 18, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  11. AB

How is that being arrogant or presumptuous? If any one doesn't think or believe they will win, why would enter a race in the first place?

August 18, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  12. Allyson

I am BEGGING you; PLEASE do not elect John McCain. You will greatly damage the futures of all us 20-something's and your young children that will have to live with the disasters of global warming, intolerance, and energy dependence for the next 50+ years. You will all be gone and dead and while you argue about abortion and gay marriage you will all look as ridiculous as those in the anti-women's rights movement, proponents of slavery, and those who thought the world was flat! Open your eyes, Obama isn't perfect but the road we're on is full of DISTRACTIONS (like Obama is arrogant) and leading us toward disaster. You gave us George Bush for 8 years and it's not fair; fix it this time. I am begging. <3

August 18, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  13. CM

Since when does arrogance mean he can't be an effective leader. The fools on here who speak of arrogance haven't met the man, don't realize he has had more of a normal life than McCain and probably voted for Bush twice because he was 'a people's guy'.

What that kind of reasoning no wonder America is struggling to catch up with the rest of the world. Bush and his party squandered our head start and McCain voted lock-step to support the policies.

Obama will win. You red staters will not get your stooge in the white house this time.

HRC will not get the nomination next 4 years if Obama loses. Watch and see.

August 18, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  14. Not this time

He will win by a landslide believe it hillbillies Barak Hussein Obama will be on your TV for the next 4 years. i love it.

August 18, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  15. Roger, Dana Point, CA

For the Record:

Obama did NOT have any voters at that Forum. So I think anybody who changed his or her mind to vote for him is icing on the cake. The audience and the format were FIXED. As we know John McCain heard the questions on his way to the church. There was no "cone of silence" as the pastor said. The cone of silence was the fact that the house was stacked with the GOP.

So all in all, Barack did well. He held his own and I'm proud of him.

Obama 08

August 18, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  16. Dean in Florida

McCain is intelligent. I would not be surprised if he selected HRC for a cabinet position...placing the country before his personal interests.

Obama, on the other hand, is too egotistical. He wouldn't pick HRC for dog catcher.

By election day, a majority of American's will come to their senses and either select McCain (for what he believes in) or NOT select Obama (for what he believes in).

August 18, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |