August 18th, 2008

Obama tells supporter: 'You're wrong,' defends compromise

CNN

Watch Sen. Obama respond to veiled criticism from a supporter in New Mexico Monday.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama, the presumptive Democratic nominee, took the opportunity Monday to answer many critiques leveled at him by his own supporters.

“As president, you set the agenda for this country,” Dallas Timmons, a local Democratic Party ward chair said to Obama in Albuquerque, New Mexico. “Are you going to set an agenda of change or one of compromise with what the Republican minority is going to allow you to do in the Congress?“ Timmons asked Obama after specifically mentioning Obama’s support for a surveillance bill disliked by some of Obama left-of-center supporters.

“You’re feisty and I like that, but you’re wrong,” Obama responded to Timmons.

The Illinois senator gave Timmons and other supporters gathered at the New Mexico town hall event a detailed defense of his positions on Afghanistan and Iraq, on the compromise surveillance bill he recently supported, and on his approach to compromising with political adversaries more generally.

“Iraq was a fundamental error. I have never wavered from that. I have never wavered from the idea that we have to get our troops out of Iraq,” Obama told the crowd.

After explaining his vote on a compromise version of the surveillance bill, Obama told supporters, “I’m not going to be elected as monarch; I’m going to be elected as president. And, I’m going to have a Congress that’s I’ve got to deal with.”

“Even if we do well,” Obama continued, “there’s still gonna be almost half the country that votes for somebody else.”

“There’s nothing wrong with compromise as long as you understand what your core principles,” the presumptive Democratic nominee said. “And I will never waver from those principles even if I compromise on some issues.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Phantom of the Oprah

Condescending AND beyond criticism... yep that is Obama the perfect one.

August 18, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  2. Jean

Obama talks in circles.. Always tells people they were not listening. I am a democrat and Obama hasn't a chance of winning the white house. He has no political experience. Where is Hillary when we need her......... She would have been way up in the poles. And Hillary could have beat McCain hands down.... Instead we have Obama talking in circles and not answering questions straight....I will go with McCain this time and hope Hillary runs again in 2012.....

August 18, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  3. Selected not elected

Always the first to tell others that they are wrong... and the last to actually ever DO anything but brag about his good judgement.

August 18, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  4. J.C.

Obama tells supporter: 'You're wrong,"...

I wish Obama could have been as direct when he answered Pastor Warren's question on whether or not life begins at conception. That should not have been a political question.

August 18, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  5. JOHN

HMMMMMMMMMMMM, IF YOU'RE READING THAT BOOK OF LIES BY THE MORON, REMEMBER HE ALSO SAID THAT JOHN MCLAME WAS NOT FIT TO BE P.O.T.U.S. I AGREE, BUT HE'S STILL A MORON. THE OBAMANATION A BOOK OF LIES BY A, DID I SAY MORON.

August 18, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  6. Dave

I prefer a President who never negotiates or changes their mind. I want their brain hard-wired to the point where they don't even think. When it comes to compromise, I want them to pound their fist on the table, demonize their opponents, and never waver. If my President says the earth is flat and it is proven to be round, I want my President to dedicate all resources to flattening or destroying the earth so that his views are correct. If he is a Democrat and the Republicans in congress want him to modify his or her position, I want him to walk into their chambers with machine guns and kill all of them.

August 18, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  7. trups

For once, let us agree on one thing. It takes 2 hands to clap, period. BO wants to end this bickering and find a happy medium in as many an issue important to the American people. What is wrong with that? As regards to Americans NEVER satisfied with what they can get versus what they WILL get if they vote the other way, think deeper, only this time WEARING BOTH SHOES.

Those who write here making snide and quirky remarks, beware,,,, whatever happens will affect EVERYONE, you included.

August 18, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  8. BRAD

I WANNA SEE ONE ON ONE HANNITY AND OBAMA... HANNITY AND OBAMA, ... COME ON PEOPLE LET GET THIS STARTED, HE IS THE ONLY ONE IN THE PRESS BESIDES OREILLY, THAT STANDS UP AGAINST HIM, EVERY ONE ELSE IS AFRAID OF HIM. I THINK IF YOU PEOPLE AT CNN SHOWED MORE DIVERSITY BETWEEN CANDIDATES YOU ALL COULD HAVE IT MADE, UNFORTUNATELY, I THINK PEOPLE MAINLY WATCH CNN, IS TO HEAR ANDERSON COOPER, ONLY PERSON LEFT THERE WITH DIGNITY FOR, THE REAL FACTS AND DIVERSITY.... THANKS BRAD

August 18, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  9. Jake, New York

Raymond Duke,

I couldn't help but notice you finished your second sentence with "the United States." Key word: United. Perhaps instead of presuming that millions of people you've never met are completely ignorant you could express your thoughts in an intelligent, constructive manner that encourages discussion and debate instead of mud-slinging and name calling. Where is the unity in these United States? Why are we wasting time tearing each other down when we should be lifting each other up?

August 18, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  10. Terry, NJ

Koolaid man. I'm not voting for you... Simple. Hillary I would have voted for. You, no way. So I have the choice of writing in Hillary or voting for NJ. I'll be voting for McCain because I want my vote to count against all you're sugar coated BS.

August 18, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  11. John from LA

Sounds like the ship is beginning to sink-are some of the bots seeing through the veil???-who's behind the curtain????hmmmmmmmm

Can't stand his sanctimonious, condescending tone to all who question "the Messiah"-he's always right-...WRONG!!!

August 18, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  12. joe

What a creep. He talks down to everyone and says whatever is convenient in the moment. He let us down - but he doesn't care because we already got him past the primaries and now he doesn't need all of us to win the general...well fine dude...you lost my vote - on principal - I could never vote for someone with such low morals, such an ego and no loyalty to those he lied to that got him elected.

August 18, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  13. RJ, CA

Read "The Obama Nation" and you'll begin to understand a LOT about this guy, Obama!

August 18, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  14. Nolan

Its about time people are starting to see through the "change" facade. Obama is just as much a politician as every other. You can't insult an unpopular government all year and then expect to enact "change" in the same people you have belittled. Like always, the Democrats will shoot themselves in the foot. This election year, the supposed year of Democrats, a moderate Republican WHO is ACTUALLY bipartisan will win the White House. The only thing Democrats don't realize is...their foots all ready been shot and the bullet was Obama.

August 18, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  15. papadibite

Brian..you seem to not having anything sensible to say...You are the reason why the US is in peril now because you do not follow common sense and logical people with the wisdom to put the Great United States back to her respectable plasce on this planet Earth. Rather, you make the same statement for every single article on this page...Rather nonsensical...why not say SOMETHING WORTH READING Rather than continue to spread propaganda and falsehoods...NUFF SAID....

August 18, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  16. NOBAMA

Hope Obama can give a more detailed explanation at the debates.

Obama supporters, why can't you see that his answers are always so worthlessly stated?? Does this guy stand for anything other than vague responses and popularity??

August 18, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  17. You can be both, Kim

Oh Kim Hussein... so funny:
    "For all you Obama people Missouri is in the middle of the united states."

hee hee, that's funny, see, cuz you're implying we obamabots are dumb. that is just soo dang HI-LARIOUS!!!!

i thought we were a bunch of latte-drinking, volvo-driving, college-educated elitists?!?!?!!?

i'm so confused, i dont even know who i AM anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

______________________________________________________
    Kim,
    Intelligence is inborn- it has nothing to do with drinking lattes or having money and going to college. American colleges are now no better than high school in other parts of the world....

So yes... you can be a latte drinking rich enough to go to college dumb elitist. And you just proved it.

August 18, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  18. Wisest one of All

The empty suit is lying again. No surprise there! Hussein Nobama would be the left wing George Bush. Proven fact!

August 18, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  19. robc

That's why I voted for him. Anyone that follow's politics knows that if you don't compromise, you end up with gridlock and nothing gets done. In order to change, you've got to negotiate and compromise. That's one of many reasons why I didn't vote for Hillary–she's polarizing, a relentless fighter, and ultimately wouldn't be able to get anything done.

Go Barack!

August 18, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  20. SonnyD

Who is this guy, anyway?

An Illinois state legislator…

A short stint in Congress…

OK, so he gives a great speech, but…

No military background…

No foreign policy experience…

Why would anyone think he could be President?

Abraham Lincoln
    16th President, United States of America

-that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain–that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom–and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

August 18, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  21. Phil

At least he didn't call her sweetie. Hes come so far !!!!!!!

August 18, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  22. K of TX

It seems that the REAL question should not be is Sen. Obama prepared to be President, but are WE ready to have a President so prepared?

Obama '08

August 18, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  23. Anyone but these 2

If one of his "core principles" is that our privacy should not be protected by the Constitution, then he's not fit to be president, period.

Vote third party. Let them know it's time for real change.

August 18, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  24. CTP

Hey Obama, don't pay any attention to the haters on this blog. They're either dumb, bitter, racist, or all three. We know you're the straight talker and we appreciate it.

YES WE WILL!!! OBAMA '08!!!

August 18, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  25. None of the Above 08

Ummm,

Didn't BUSH Jr. essentially send the exact same message when he ran in 2000?

Haven't people been criticizing McCain for making very similar strong statements?

And what the heck is Negoating? What have goats got to do with elections? I thought the Dem animal was a donkey and the GOP animal an elephant?

August 18, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |