August 19th, 2008

Barr makes his case

CNN

Watch Barr on CNN's American Morning

(CNN) – Libertarian presidential candidate Bob Barr Tuesday said he’s lost his faith in government since the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001.

“The government has taken tremendous liberties with our liberty, taking away our liberty in the name of fighting terrorism, using fear to take away people's rights and their privacy in this country,” Barr said during an interview with CNN American Morning’s Kiran Chetry. “And that's caused me and a lot of Americans to lose a great deal of faith in the government, which ought to be protecting our liberties, not taking them away.”

Barr, a former Republican representative from Georgia, is fighting to be included in the national dialogue. He unsuccessfully sued to be included in last weekend’s forum hosted by Rev. Rick Warren that included Sen. Barack Obama, the presumed Democratic presidential nominee, and Sen. John McCain, the presumed Republican presidential nominee.

The former Republican said the two major parties were excluding him from the national debates because they want to maintain their lock on national politics.

“They simply don't want the competition from an outsider, so to speak, somebody that might make them feel uncomfortable by raising some issues, some new perspectives, some new choices for the American people,” Barr said. “They like playing the game within the confines of their very closed system that they can control.”

The libertarian nominee, who is currently polling at 3 percent nationally according to a CNN/Opinion Research poll conducted last month, said his goal was raise his support to 15 percent nationally so that he can participate in the official presidential debates this fall.

Filed under: Bob Barr
  1. Frank

A vote for Barr is a vote for Obama. What will he get from running?

August 19, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  2. Dale, Kentucky

I am with you Bob and hear exactly what you are saying.
    Both the Democratic party and the republican party are in bed with the wealth of the world and should be defending our rights and liberties.
    Instead they manipulate the media, send out propoganda and fool the American people into believing either one of the candidates will make a change for the better in America.
    I love this country, but have lost all faith in our leaders.

August 19, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  3. Bubba

All right folks. If you want Barr in the debates, then tell the pollsters you're supporting him vis-a-via Obama, McCain or Nader. That's the only way he'll get to 15% and qualify to be in the debates.

August 19, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  4. Natasha

I was wondering if you have accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and savior?" the voter asked.
    1. McCain, positioned before a large American flag, paused and lowered his head.
    "I am a man of faith," he responded. "I have deep religious beliefs and values. I had experiences in my life where I had to rely on God not to get me through another day or another hour, but another minute."
    The questioner, not satisfied, pressed the candidate again on whether he had let Christ into his life
    I also believe that talking too much about one's faith and religion in my view, is something between me and God," McCain said. The crowd clapped.

I am suppose to trust someone who can't bring himself to acknowledge Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior......... I am totally insulted. He does not want you to be ashame of him. SO guess McCain I know who you are to me......A No VOTE.......

Obama'08

August 19, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  5. true conservatives for BARR

We are with you all the way, Mr. Barr!

until we the true standard bearers win the power,

if not this time!

August 19, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  6. Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire

Rick Warren lied yesterday when he told Larry King that his audience was half in favor of Barack, and half in favor of McCain. I think the American people could tell from the applause lines that it was mostly for McCain. Rick was trying to pretend his forum was “fair and balanced”, which is was not.

So Barack just happened to lose the coin toss, and McCain just happened to be OUT of the building when Barack was speaking. I don't think so. Also when asked if the candidates were present for the coin toss, which would have been the best thing to do, Rick said, "No, it was just me and my staff". His Republican staff, give me a break.

August 19, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  7. NEVER OBAMA

Get lost.

August 19, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  8. Tennessee Mike

The Republican party of Ronald Reagan and Barry Goldwater is no more. Reagan said, "the government isn't the solution, government is the PROBLEM".

The Republican Party (Neoconservatives) is just about big government now as much as the Dems are, they just want to spend our tax dollars on policing the world (see Bill Kristol), whereas the Democrats want to redistribute the wealth just like Robin Hood (picture BO in a pair of Kelly Green tights).

Instead of "tax and spend", which is and always has been the Democratic Party way, the neocons "borrow and spend" (can you say Iraq War; can you say stimulus checks?), generally from China.

If you are like me, and you want, in the immortal words of Jesse Ventura, "... the Democrats out of my boardroom, and the Republicans out of my bedroom...", then your vote should be Libertarian, the Party that stands for free markets, less government, individual freedom, and peace.

Barr / Root 2008

August 19, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  9. Raymond Duke

You can tell Obama is scared and trying hard by the paid bloggers he has on the cnn sites that are so Obama friendly. He can waste all the supporters money he wants to. I would mot vote for this man to run the septic system that cleans out human waste products. It is above his level. As far as the people bragging on his Harvard Degree. Look at all the presidents and politicians from both partys with Yale or Harvard degrees. Look how good they have screwed up the country with these fancy degrees. No I wish we could get a president from a regular college with just some good old country boy common sense.

August 19, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  10. Andy in Charlotte, NC

Our children are taught in schools about a two-party system, the media shows us blue and red maps, we identify as Republicans or Democrats... See the pattern? I wonder how many Americans think there is something in the Constitution about Republicans and Democrats!!? Please people...be open-minded. It's not "wasting your vote". If we all say that, then we WILL be stuck with the two-party system forever. Unfortunately, it looks like it's headed that way.

August 19, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  11. Faye

Senator Barr is like Ralph Nader-a spoiler! Guess what, fellows! Voters don't give a hoot what late-comers think, other than voters who are voting against the nominees. Why these people don't get in on the ground floor of campaigning is beyond me unless they know they don't have the support-physically and financially which means they would have been out of the race long ago. So why should we waste our time listening and reading what they have to say about anything?

August 19, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  12. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

ATTENTION GOP VOTERS! VOTE BOB BARR!

He is a true conservative unlike McCain.

Help Obama by voting for Barr.

August 19, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  13. BAR the crazy BARR

Barr's candidacy has got to be the sign that the Right of this country have totally lost its way and conscience.

uh, wait.

they never had either.... LOL

August 19, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  14. Bill

Barr's performance during the Clinton impeachment hearings convinced me that he is a sleaze. Nothing he has done since has changed that conviction.

August 19, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  15. INDEPENDENT NYC

He pulls more votes from McCain than Obama. Let him speak. Let him in. Let him campaign.

August 19, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  16. INSANE IN THE MCCAIN

Somebody please answer why they think Clinton would win. All I hear is that she would definately win and Obama has no chance. It is baffling that people are that delusional. Hillarry lost the primary, is the most polarizing figure in politics, has promoted disunity (in both parties and bipartisan efforts),and Republicans hate her so much they would actually unify to whoop her butt by a landslide.

August 19, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  17. NEVER OBAMA

Are you democrats finally getting it? Obama is their boy. Finally all the losers who wanted to be president – Kennedy, Biden, Gore, Kerry, throw in Nancy and Harry and now you have the next president of the united states. Yes sir, bam-bam is their boy. Mostly certainly their puppet..Watch him dance when they pull his strings. We know bam-bam has no balls, his wife has them all.CHANGE, you want change, well. just watch the change you're going to get.Oh,and best of all,let us not forget Howard Dean,the loser. I know they needed to have a weak puppet but did they have to pick one that stutters?

August 19, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  18. Obama-Junkie, IL

Barr has a case against the news media favoring McCain and Obama. Why does Barr have to poll well in order to participate in the debates? It should be by petition. If Barr gets so many petition signatures to participate in the presidential debates, he should be allowed to. Go Barr go. Steal away some of McCain's Republican support. Barr presence in the race gives Obama a good chance to wn Georgia.

August 19, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  19. Major Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Too little, too late.

August 19, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  20. Sharon Kitchen

I think that Barr has some very good points. Our interest have been taken away, a little at a time.......constitution ???? That has also been altered, one line at a time.......the more people wake up and get mad and then determined not to have their rights taken away.....the more they will watch who they elect,and then watch how they vote on all topics, and if not in the interest of the people, the people should say so, and loudly. Do not give an inch to someone who will take a mile.
    This election will prove to be a turning point. How will everyone help this country turn????? This is yet to be seen. God help us all.

August 19, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  21. Dwayne - L, OH

I couldn't agree more...

"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either."

-Benjamin Franklin

August 19, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  22. Anyone but these 2

Andrew Smith is right on the money. The only "wasted" vote is one that is a vote "against" a candidate. Obviously no third party candidate is going to win this election, but if we EVER want to have more than 2 choices, then we need to start voting for other parties. If 30 percent of the people opt to vote third party or independent (Nader, Barr, McKinney), then the Dems and Repubs will start to realize they are losing their lock on us, and will both have to clean up their act.

Frankly, I'm amazed CNN finally gave ANY attention to a third party candidate. Our media plays right along with the big parties. With all the tabloid style reporting they do, you'd think they'd want to bring in some new characters just to increase the drama level and improve ratings.

August 19, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  23. jimmy

FORMER AL GORE WILL "GO THROUGH THE "MOTIONS OF
    cCROWING" THE NOMINEE OBAMA.. WITH ALL THE HOOPA THAT OBAMA HOPES WILL ELECT HIM TO THE PRESIDENCY.
    FROM HS PERFORMANCE AT THE REV RICK WARREN HIGLY RATED FORUM , IT IS NOW UNCERTAIN THAT OBAMA WILL BE ELECTED TO THAT OFFICE.. EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM WILL NOW
    BE THOROUGHLY SCRUTINIZED AND IT DOES NOT BODE WELL FOR HIM.. NOW HIS VP CHOICE OF JOE BIDEN MAY HELP , BUT ONLY IN FOREIGN POLICY. ON DOMESTIC ISSUES, OBAMA IS EVEN MORE VULNERABLE ON HIS TAX RAISING PLANS. , WHCH MCCAIN SAID IS A BAD IDEA AT A TIME WHEN THE ECONOMY IS STRUGGLING AND PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO MAKE ENDS MEET.
    THERE YOU ARE FOLKS. HAVE OUYR TAXES RAISED WHILE THE ECONOMY IS BAD AND WE CAN HARDLY AFFORD THE HIGH PRICE OF GAS AND THE DEMOCRATS TAKING A LONG VACATION WHILE WE STRUGGLED WITH THE HIGH COST OF OF EVERYTHING FROM FOOD AND GAS.

August 19, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  24. Silence Dogood

Protest the corrupt 2 party system. Don't let Obama or McCain guilt or bully you into submission. Start thinking for yourself.

August 19, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  25. Anonymous

Although I'm a Democrat voting for Obama, I do admire Bob Barr. I truly believe that he makes valid points. I think it's unfair that he wasn't apart of the faith forum or any other debates. He has a right to fight for the presidential election. I hope people would just give him a chance.

August 19, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |