August 19th, 2008

Feinstein breaks ankle, cancels convention trip

Feinstein broke her ankle on Friday and won’t attend next week’s Democratic convention.

(CNN) –
For weeks, Republican senators have been announcing their plans to skip their party’s nominating convention next month. Now one of their Democratic colleagues has announced she’ll be missing her party’s Denver convention — but this absence is an involuntary one.

California Sen. Dianne Feinstein, who was co-hosting an annual environmental summit in Lake Tahoe, broke her ankle Friday when she slipped and fell while walking with Rep. Ellen Tauscher.

“My doctor has advised me not to travel in the short-term, and so, regretfully, I am unable to attend what will surely be an historic convention in Denver,” Feinstein said in a statement released by her office.

“I was very much looking forward to chairing the California delegation, and I offer my best wishes to California’s delegates in this vital nomination process,” she added.

Feinstein, who had been a strong supporter of Hillary Clinton’s presidential bid, hosted both Clinton and Obama’s first post-primary season meeting in June at her home in Washington.

Feinstein can still cast her delegate vote at the convention by telephone “or other electronic means,” according to Democratic Party rules.

Filed under: DNC
  1. Concerned democrat

Joshua, you surely must be a Republican! Or should I say sourly. Because if you were a Democrat, you would vote for your party no matter who the nominee is!

August 19, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  2. Anne/stone mountain Ga

I agree , stop acting like a spoil brat.

August 19, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  3. Larry Shields

I’m extremely disappointed in the response that a hand full of Clinton supporters have. All the major principles of being a member of the Democratic Party, shoved aside, because your candidate of choice is not going to lead the party in the Presidential election this year. Sad…. I would never dishonor my right to vote and our ability to reverse the a faulty government we’ve had the past few years. If you do not vote for the Democrats this year, you’re a traitor to the party. If you vote Republican, you’re a traitor to America!

Shame on you all.

August 19, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  4. Dem Florida

Get well senator

August 19, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  5. Chicago

No Hillary on the ticket. No vote for Obama, and I am from Chicago.

August 19, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  6. John - Houston

It's funny how a simple story like this can draw criticism of Republicans no matter how trivial. It is sad to think that no one is hammering out exact details are we are going to be able to get off oil in ten years without sending thousands who work in the Industry out of a job, or the fact that if something was marketable as an alternative, it would have already been done by now.

August 19, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  7. jakarason

whatever we dont need Hillary support We are going to win in Landslid no mater what, I'm happy Obama To lose as long Hillary she is not there

August 19, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  8. Mark Ferbet, Grain Valley, Missouri

Wow.. Joshua and Jimmy... a little whine goes a long way.

Whether she's there are not isn't important to most of the country... however, her California supporters might be a bit miffed.

As to the Clinton thing... she lost... end of story... get over it.. move on.

Obama will win this election hands down... the only thing that will change that is if he makes a major flub between now and then... like, oh... something Bill Clinton did... or maybe started talking like the current president.

August 19, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  9. Jo

I hope Sen. Feinstein recovers quickly and that she enjoys the convention from the comfort of her home like most of us will. It will be a shame that she will miss ladies night at the convention when the DNC tries to convince the women that it really cares about their issues. At best they can say that they are more atuned to those issues than the Republicans. I am not sure we are better off now that we have more women in Congress. We are still argueing about equal pay and equal rights and discrimination in the media and in the workplace. Hope all these women honored on ladies night will be able to make progress soon on those issues.

August 19, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  10. Houston, TX

Joshua you are sir an idiot!!!!! Stop crying dam!!! UNITE!!! McCain is not what america needs are you crazy? Well maybe you are just a uncover republican, if yes I am sorry........hehe

August 19, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  11. Celeste

My question is to all the Hillary Supporters (18 million strong), why dont you all pay off her debt???, since you are so enthralled by her. Put your money where your mouth is – it takes cash to care. You are all a bunch of trouble-makers. The fact is if you all sabotage Obama's win, Hillary Clinton will never stand a chance of becoming president.

August 19, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  12. Jan

I support Joshua,

No Hillary, No vote.

August 19, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  13. b Jiggy

Joshua: Who cares?

August 19, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  14. Forever Hill

Karma, she will not attend. Afterall, if Hillary is not picked, McCain will win in November.

August 19, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  15. Monica for Obama in Indiana

Sorry, this happened to you Sen. Feinstein. Pray you will feel better real soon.

August 19, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  16. Ed

Jimmy,
    Why would Pelosi want to give up one of the most powerful positions in government to take one with so little power and no authority? You really don't understand the US of A's system of government do you?

August 19, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  17. Real Talk

BS! I agree with TheTruthHurts if she really wanted to be there she'll be there. Stop making stupid excuses! boo hoo hoo my ankle broke. Whatever!

August 19, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  18. Carl Dupont

Sad, this women did not like Obama. I wish she could be there and see how he will be uniting the party. Hillary will even get some money form the Convention!. How good is Obama. Fantastic!! God protect him. He will lead this Nation to Great Pride.

August 19, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |