August 19th, 2008

Gore to speak at convention Thursday

Gore will speak at Invesco Field.
Gore will speak at Invesco Field.

(CNN) – Former Vice President Al Gore has accepted a speaking role on the final night of the Democratic convention, appearing on the same stage that Barack Obama will officially receive the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination, three sources tell CNN.

It is unclear what Gore will say in the speech or at what time he will deliver his remarks before an audience that is expected to exceed 70,000 at Invesco Field.

The Obama campaign would not comment on the matter.

Filed under: Al Gore • Candidate Barack Obama • DNC • Extra
  1. Pamela, TX

I haven't had a chance to blog lately, but I'm so glad Barack held his own in the den of iniquity. It was obvious that the deck was stacked against him, but he did well.

I know McCain is counting his blessings that Rick Warren invited Barack because the forum would not have had as much attention without him.

Good move for the GOP to have Warren in their corner, but Barack will still win this election. The stakes are too high and our country is too important to place in the hands of a hotheaded warmonger.

August 19, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  2. Kenneth F

I like Bidden for VP. He is a heavy weight. Not like Hilliery. He is loyal. Not like Hilliery. And he knows when to shut it down. Not like Hilliery. Besides, she can't spend her money and have it too. PUMA should give up a $ for each supporter.

August 19, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  3. Jim

I wish he would be vice president again. And I hope in the future he runs for president again.

August 19, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  4. lovable liberal

Obama needs for Al Gore to take a role in his administration. His experience on the Hill matters, and the Democrats need as many of their heavyweights as possible on board. America needs too much repair after the disastrous Bushists.

August 19, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  5. GoreyEarthTones

Of course Al will be there! With a big limo and private plane I'm sure..
    How else could he spew 200 times more than the average America??

August 19, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  6. Texas Democrat for Life

Excellent!!

August 19, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  7. Lisa

Just because Obama supporters are teeny boppers, doesn't mean we all have to support him.

Hillary 08!

August 19, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  8. INSANE IN THE MCCAIN

Somebody please answer why they think Clinton would win. All I hear is that she would definately win and Obama has no chance. It is baffling that people are that delusional. Hillarry lost the primary, is the most polarizing figure in politics, has promoted disunity (in both parties and bipartisan efforts),and Republicans hate her so much they would actually unify to whoop her butt by a landslide.

August 19, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  9. H

ONE LOSER SPEAKING WITH ANOTHER LOSER.

August 19, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  10. Sharon Kitchen

very good.

August 19, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  11. Dixon, Des Moines Iowa

I am glad to hear he Al Gore will be there speaking. He is a great man who has spent his life truely working for the people. I look forward to hearing him speak.

August 19, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  12. Worst...Resume...Ever....

Breaking out all the old cadre from the 1990 for this convention. This is change?

Sure looks like the same old bad cast of characters to me.

August 19, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  13. Unity

I was wondering if Gore would be speaking, with all of this "gib gabbin" about the Clinton's, I'm glad their will be a voice of reason! I can't wait until the convention is over because the Clinton's are trying to make a circus of the convention. Obama accepts the nomination, Al Gore gives him his blessings, and the Clintons can FINALLY go home. Maybe after Obama accepts the nomination, Hillary will finally realize that she lost. I have Clinton fatigue and I need a serious break from them, they've become quite a pathetic pair.

August 19, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  14. Daisy

I am hoping that by some miracle that Obama would pick Al Gore to be his Vice Presidential candidate on the ticket. I think that would be awesome. I had hoped for Edwards but he blew his chances. I think Al Gore has a real shot if he wants it. I think though that Al Gore is resisting. Al, stop resisiting!! I am starting to think BIden might be on the top of the list at this point with all the media speculation but I think they may be over looking a very real possible vp choice. I don't think he'll go with Hillary at this point but I think she has some benefits to the ticket.

August 19, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  15. INDEPENDENT NYC

Gore is the one thing that America as a country lost when it comes to Presidential Politics. He had and has the vision of the technological future and would have ensured our place as number one in all things computer and green. He had all the inside information about terror activities and 9/11 never would have happened. We lost the opportunity to have the services of this man as a President; let us not loose the one he, in his wisdom, deems right for the job.

OBAMA 08

August 19, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  16. Done with Dems

It is unclear what Gore will say in the speech

That's easy......blah, blah, blah blah

Followed by.......Um, uh, ummm, uh, uh

Hope there's a German rock band to bring this notable event to a rabid finish. Kool aid for everyone!!!!!

McCain 08

August 19, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  17. Lisa

Does Obama really think that Biden will help him win the election? I hope not.

August 19, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  18. Joe Kiloz

Continuing to dilute razor thin credibility. Not even weeks ago on national

TV: I won't be involved in Politics due to the seriousness of what I'm

involved with.......Maybe he's announcing he's invented a weather

changing machine ?

August 19, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  19. Finally Some Sense In the Dem Party

Al Gore is the only person who could bring some sanity to the Democratic party, not to mention credibility and integrity GORE '08!!!

August 19, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  20. unity

Wonderful speaker on the last night. If Obama could enlist Gore in any way into his advisory team at the White House, we would all be better off for it!

August 19, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  21. News we can USE ??

It is unclear what Gore will say in the speech or at what time he will deliver.......Why is this News.....In the future wait until have all of the details .Thank You

August 19, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  22. Gary of El Centro, Ca

Gore will be an excellent lead in to the Obama acceptance speech. Thursday night promises to be a "defining moment" in American history.........the night that true "change" began in America.

August 19, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  23. Bob Indianapolis, IN

Right on! Nobel prize winner and the person who should have been president in 2000. Tell me that the United States wouldn't be more prosperous if the Supreme Court hadn't stopped the count and selected the Clown Prince, who along with Darth, has turned this country into a Neo-con Banana Republic...

August 19, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  24. Tom Dawson

V.P.??

August 19, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  25. Brian

Too bad Gore never became president..... Just think we could have kept Russia a friend if he was.

August 19, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |