August 19th, 2008

Gore to speak on Democratic convention's final night

Gore will speak at Invesco Field.
Gore will speak at Invesco Field.

(CNN) – Former Vice President Al Gore has accepted a speaking role on the final night of the Democratic convention, appearing on the same stage that Barack Obama will officially receive the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination, three sources tell CNN.

It is unclear what Gore will say in the speech or at what time he will deliver his remarks before an audience that is expected to exceed 70,000 at Invesco Field.

The Obama campaign would not comment on the matter.

Filed under: Al Gore • Candidate Barack Obama • DNC
  1. Jan Il.

Good Luck Mr. Gore at what ever you take on. Sorry doesn't begin to cover how we feel about not doing more to protect you from the Bush election thieves. Our country has paid for this travisty in blood, and im sorry that I ever heard of George Bush.

August 19, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  2. Kaz

Obama is extremely smart and he will make the right decision.

August 19, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  3. Terry

Obama pick Hillary or lose.
    It's that simple

August 19, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  4. Erika, KS

Most over used words on this blog: "it's over" and "get over it" and "grow up" and "she lost people!" etc., etc., etc.,

And No. We won't get over it! Hillary was stabbed in the back. Obama didn't win anything. He too was appointed by Pelosi, who couldn't stand the thought of Hillary in charge. LOL! The Supreme Court did appoint George W Bush as the president. Obama is a flake and a very weak candidate. No, I won't grow up. I will NEVER, (hear me scream) vote or support a junior senator running for president, regardless of who he or she might be. You Obamafans are nothing but bandwagoners believing his line of crap. And you're idiots to think he can do anything other than talk well. I'm not that stupid or naive.

August 19, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  5. Cliff

I am laughing as I type this. I can't wait to fall asleep while he gives his hot air blast. Oh wait, hot air?....is that appropo, Al? What a bunch of clowns.....with the biggest clown at the head of the ticket.

August 19, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  6. Moderate Democratic, New York

Re: Laughing : Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton and Al Gore speaking at the convention. obama will seem like a little useless kid.

Kinda ironic, I think. Obama's mantra is "change, change change," and he's bringing these three individuals above to speak at the Convention, who during the that Adminsitration, gave us prosperous times and whatever nostalgia you can conjure up. My point being, that for someone who continuous chant is change, he has these people, who a lot of us wish were back in office, speaking at the convention. It's weird, I can't explain it, but it's something along the lines of irony.

August 19, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  7. Jim

I hope it'll be a "warm" night for him... ;)

August 19, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  8. Lisa

Hillary would make a better President than Obama anyday, anytime, anywhere.

August 19, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  9. Ron

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's anyone having the nerve to talk down about Al Gore. This wonderful man has done more to educate people about global warming, which is the most serious threat facing all countries, and yet we have all these Republican operatives posting on here that he's a "loon", "windbag". Nice try idiots. I love how you think that by simply pulling out your usual insults can somehow just smear and discredit such a good man and wash away all he's done for us. My friends and I always speak of how much better off we'd be if he were rightfully in office. It makes me angry to think that the guy who won the popular vote had the election stolen by the U.S. Supreme Court appointing the "true loon" we have now.

August 19, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  10. tommy cullar

I take my hat off to Al Gore for his ginuine concern,integrity and
    courage. He is a true leader and very much capable of guiding
    this county through the grave situation we find ourselves in now.
    I wished he had entered the race.

August 19, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  11. non black nonwhite

I was wondering when Gore would appear. This is a great way to end the convention, he is afterall, one of the most successful democrats out there. I just will have to switch to a different channel once Hillary and Bill talk. They are the reason I hate to be a democrat.

August 19, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  12. Skunkworker

The Obama Camp has kept the big surprise of OBAMA/GORE 2008! It is now out.

August 19, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  13. Marilyn

I like you, Al. However, I won't be watching the coronation. I also won't be voting for the Democrat this year for the first time in my life.

August 19, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  14. baker

To Average:

"we dont need no more."?? Your a hypocrite, you talked about intelligence in the whitehouse and you dare write a double negative? HA HA HA. LMAO.

TYPICAL DEMOCRAT!

August 19, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  15. RPS

Subject: Ethical Democrats

I believe the democrats have suddenly developed a keen sense of morality. John Edwards has been banned from making a speech at the democratic convention for having an affair and lying about it.

In his place Bill Clinton (did not have sex/didn't inhale) will be speaking.

August 19, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  16. Kevin

Maybe Al will tell some more lies about man made global warming.

August 19, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  17. jd

This will further infuriate the Clinton's and this will in turn help the republicans. One thing we have learned is you let a sleeping dog rest and the Obama campaign just awoke a political giant!!!!

August 19, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  18. Erika, KS

Wait and see. Obama won't change anything. Obama can't change anything. And we're seeing that more and more each day. Moderate in NY, you are correct. Obama's leaning pretty heavy on the old democratic strongholds, isn't he? Hillary. Bill. Al. Joe. LOL! He's a junior senator little boy. And it will indeed be so painfully obvious at the convention. HA. HA!

August 19, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  19. Moderate Democratic, New York

P.S. and an Addendum to my earlier comment:

Both Clintons and Gore speaking at the convention will absolutely DWARF Obama, and he needs to be cut down to size.

August 19, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  20. chris

"wow, of course they choose this loon.

Obama supporters all seem to be attacking McCain and saying McCain supports are closed minded. However, dont be hypocritical, Obama supporters fail to see any other reason besides what they have been fed.

Long live the Kult for OBAMA!

NOBAMA 08"

Look at McCain's record and tell me you're not being hypocritical after calling John Kerry a flip-flopper...

August 19, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  21. VB Lincoln Park NJ

Al Gore deserves the recognition as he is a great statesman, and his award of the Nobel prize is no fluke.

I guess the only prize W can get is a dunce cap.

August 19, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  22. Pepou

It would be nice if he would speak more often these days about the environment. And support Obama.

August 19, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  23. Andrew

The Clinton Convention is going to be the best and most shocking in history!

August 19, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  24. Tonya, VA

I like Obama. He's not a celebrity, he's an ordinary man who has the bold idea that America should belong to the voters, not corporations. I think he's doing a fantastic job, and I know he'll be a great president. This country should not belong to one party. We should have leaders from both parties speaking for the people. I'm waiting to see that happen, someday it will.

After 8 years of the Karl Rove Administration, I'm tired and fed up with a puppet president. I want to see real leadership in the oval office, and Barack will be that leader.

Hang in there America, if you want to see change–it's coming.

P.S. Good choice asking Al to speak on the last night with Barack.

August 19, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  25. non black nonwhite

To "Moderate Democratic, New York": the reason Obama is bringing back these 3 democrats to speak is because he is being threatened by the PUMAS to do so. And there isn't really anything wrong with Gore, he is likable unlike Hillary. Bill is such a sham of a person. I stopped liking the dirty Clintons ever since Hillary started running. Hillary is the worst candidate in US history, and will happily destroy this country and divide people up by their skin color and so her best friend, Ferraro said.

August 19, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |