August 19th, 2008

Gore to speak on Democratic convention's final night

Gore will speak at Invesco Field.
Gore will speak at Invesco Field.

(CNN) – Former Vice President Al Gore has accepted a speaking role on the final night of the Democratic convention, appearing on the same stage that Barack Obama will officially receive the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination, three sources tell CNN.

It is unclear what Gore will say in the speech or at what time he will deliver his remarks before an audience that is expected to exceed 70,000 at Invesco Field.

The Obama campaign would not comment on the matter.

Filed under: Al Gore • Candidate Barack Obama • DNC
  1. John Smith

Hillary CANNOT even pay off her primary debts, how would she be able to run and win a national campaign? Now I have come to believe how much brain some Hillary supporters have: Brain of a little Bird!

First, pay down the primary debts; next, ask all the faked Republicans who voted for Hillary to return to their party; divorce Bill because no Republican would stand up to let Bill return and roam in that White House, then you can write in Hillary's name. Ready, start, go- and good luck!

August 19, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  2. is Jimmy C speaking as well

Terrific. An Academy Award and Nobel Peace Prize winner who got his rear end handed to him by Bush over the course of three debates in 2000 by doing nothing but responding via sighs (sigh).

Yeah, I can hardly wait to hear him speak.

(sigh)

(sigh)

(sigh)

August 19, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  3. Freedom to vote

Well Michelle Obama said she would not vote for HRC if Hillary were the party nominee....

Many other democrats are going to say the same thing about her Hubby if he is the nominee.

Michelle was not criticized or called undemocratic or unloyal to party or to country... so no other democrat should be called pouty or childish for doing the same.

August 19, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  4. Jane GA

I love Keith Olbermann . He is the best. I love watching him
    Mccain needs to grow up. He is 72yr greate-great father. He behave like a child.
    McCain cheated on his first wife and left her and the kids, and than married a woman 25 years younger than him, he is not a man of good values or character.
    His wife Cidi took every that also belongs to half brother. I had about it on the Raido.
    Mccain does not wear a shoe that is less than $500. He owns more than 8 houses.
    So MCcain and his wife does not know that USA are suffreing.
    I'm a woman so I will never vote for a man who has not value.
    McCain please respest yourself and stop all those lies about obama.
    You will never be in the white house.
    You are like BUSH
    OBAMA08-12

August 19, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  5. Lisa

Why are we even having a convention anyway? Obama already declared victory in San Francisco.

August 19, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  6. John in Ohio

"Start of a new day in america under Obama = start to loose freedom, start to loose liberty, keep growing government bigger and bigger, start of socialism in the american government!"

We lost freedom and liberty under Bush.

Third Way social democracy works for England, Canada, Australia, Norway, Germany, Sweden, and Denmark. National health care works, and is in place in every single developed nation except the US. Every developed nation leads us in education.

The new day you're so afraid of is the new day where the US finally catches up to the rest of the world. Socialism in the American government? Great! We need it. Bigger government? Hey, without it our schools suck, our military is weak, our roads fall apart, our cities descend into poverty, and so on.

We've had 8 years to witness the abject failure of conservative ideology. It's time for some socialism.

August 19, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  7. Kate

I honestly can't get over how shallow Americans are .. you voted for Bush twice ... reason .. Gore was boring and Kerry was not patriotic. You are the world's laughing stock .. everyone has moved on, you're are becoming irrelevant.

August 19, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  8. ron

Is MCCain auditioning for a part in a Audie Murphy movie or running for the office of the President,I wonder if his ardent supporter CNN will reveal that our war hero also read comments written by his captors for the press denouncing America for ordering schools and hospitals bombed. I wonder how many of the other captives turned on America my understanding is that he was the only one. If you want this coward truly revealed watch him blink when he speaks the greater the lie the more rapid the blinks, I guess there are many definitions of "war hero", but a coward my friends is easily recognized, accusing his opponent of treason in an effort to gain votes, he's lower than a coward. Fabricating stories about his captivity daily in an attempt to win sympathy votes, he's a pitiful old man who is suffering from dementia sending his emissaries to Georgia he thinks he is the president., only a crazed war hawk like him would give demands to Russia when their consequences of ignoring him is he'll order our two remaining troops over there. Yep! a good rest home would do him some good.

August 19, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  9. Cant Wait

When Obama wins, I'm gonna stop working and get on board with those phat government giveaways that are coming. Let some other sucker work for da man!

August 19, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  10. Dems are stuck in the fix they rigged

Party loyalty did not matter to Michelle Obama when she said in an interview that she would not vote for HRC if Clinton were the nominee of the party.

She was not called an hysterical, pouty, ugly, childish, spiteful anti-democratic party woman...

However, those democrats who will not vote for the democratic candidate this election, ARE being called those very things and worse.

Funny... hypocrisy... the national crisis is the same... and I thought we were voting for a party platform and NOT a candidate.

Michelle is voting for HER candidate.... many democrats will exercise the same right and the same freedom to defect from party loyalty.

August 19, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  11. Jan

Sorry Al, I like you but I am not watching the loosing party, the Democratic National Convention next week. I am watching the Animal Channel show all next week!!!

Jan

August 19, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  12. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Please read Jack Cafferty's commentary on John McCain where he hits McCain dead center. I don't know why Republicans supported Bush over McCain for president or for a VP spot, but they did. The "credential" McCain is running on are the same as then which means Republicans didn't care that he was a POW and experience didn't count. There is no logic behind being a POW that qualifies anyone to be president and the Republicans said it best when they didn't vote him. McCain has no logical political ground to stand on other than he is a George W. Bush all over again using Karl Rove tactics. Please read Jack Cafferty's commentary on John McCain.

August 19, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  13. Selected by hate and division and race card

Too bad the main show is the puppet that most democrats voted against.

So many great democratic candidates and we got stuck with who the DNC installed to appease AAs, left-wing fringe and newbie youths.

August 19, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  14. karen-phoenix

Gore, Clinton's are all parts of the history of the Democratic party. Love the idea of them speaking. It will only inhance the Democratic party and Obama. It shows Obama respectes the past and history.

I have been hearing rumors that the little "story" McCain told Sat about the "cross in the dirt" was plagerized and lifted from a book of memories written by a man in a guloge. From what I have been able to research, McCain is a lier just as much as he was a theif when he was part of the Keating 5 and should have gone to jail with Charlie Keating!

August 19, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  15. NO bama

This show is everyone BUT Obama.

Obama needs all the greats to even be at barely 50% support of his own party.

August 19, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  16. joe

I am an obama insider and i am announcing the Vp pick to you all laymen and commoners.
    It is CAROLINE KENNEDY SCHOLSBERG !!!!!!
    She is a kennedy, jewish and a woman.
    Great choice obama.
    For more info on the cabinet choices we made just click on HILLARY 2012 .COM

August 19, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  17. Marianita

I am a Native American of the Navajo Nation.

It is good to know that former vice president Al Gore is speaking at the convention. I appreciate Al Gore for confronting the threat of global warming throughout his career. He is a strong leader and has been a major influence on the environment.

I will tell now that I don't know a lot about politics; however, I would like to say that I am extremely disappointed in the way that the Republicans have handled themselves. It seems that they are like children fussing on the playground. I expect more from these so- called leaders. Granted , I respect senator McCain for his service in the military, but I am quite surprised at the childish ads that he is promoting. He should be addressing issues that are important to the American people.

August 19, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  18. Jonathan, Hartford, CT

I think that Gore is just too pure a person to get involved with this group. Al we hold you in great esteem. Please reconsider.

August 19, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  19. Jorge

Don't be surpised if Obama fools everyone and goes with a real straight talker, Wesley Clark, as his VP.

August 19, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  20. Sweetie

As a Lifelong Democrat, who will be voting for McCain this Fall, I plan on watching the speeches from both Clintons and Core.

I will not watch anything that comes from the Obama Camp.

If he where a viable candidate he would be way ahead in the polls right now.

After watching him try to answer questions Saturday Night I promised myself I wouldn't waste anymore time listening to a School Boy pretending he is a Leader!

August 19, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  21. Ted van Tol

What a difference it would have been when Al Gore was elected as President in 2000! No war in Iraq and respected in his own and other countrys. I am sure John Kerry had also be a much better President than George Bush.
    My fear of today is the electing of John McCain as your new President.
    He has tough talks but will be a desaster in office and the whole world would be very dissapointed.
    Amereca needs to change his politics to be respected again.

Europe for Barack Obama.

August 19, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  22. Jeff Denver CO

Honestly folks, wouldn't it be funny if it snowed the night "gorged" Gore speaks...it has snowed before in August in Denver.

August 19, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  23. ..OUTRAGEOUS Liberal...

You know he's going to be the one on the mic bringing out Obama for the acceptance speech. Ladies and Gentleman, may I introduce to you...

Now all we need is Michael Phelps at the convention!!!

August 19, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  24. Micahel Turner

The comments from the Obama supporters should clearly show the incosistencies we are going to have to put up with if he is elected. Just a month ago some of these same people were on here bashing Gore for not endorsing Obama and saying who needs him he is a has been. Now they are praising him and glad to have him on board. This just shows that the vote or "movement" is all about hype and when it is over and dead the truth and the experience will show its true colors.

Not an angry Hillary supporter, but rather a concerned American voter who would like to see someone with more than just 4 years in the Senate running the country!

August 19, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  25. Independant Thinker

Gore is arguably one of the greatest VP's in American History. He is cerebral like Obama an is reminder to the Republicans "Not this time."
    Obama/ Kerry 08