August 19th, 2008

Gore to speak on Democratic convention's final night

Gore will speak at Invesco Field.
Gore will speak at Invesco Field.

(CNN) – Former Vice President Al Gore has accepted a speaking role on the final night of the Democratic convention, appearing on the same stage that Barack Obama will officially receive the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination, three sources tell CNN.

It is unclear what Gore will say in the speech or at what time he will deliver his remarks before an audience that is expected to exceed 70,000 at Invesco Field.

The Obama campaign would not comment on the matter.

Filed under: Al Gore • Candidate Barack Obama • DNC
  1. Sammy

Neither party can ignore their sacred cows. Bush & Cheney are extremely unpopular but for them to be ignored at the Republican convention would be unheard of. Same with the Clintons and Gore. If they havent already they should ask Tipper to speak on Hillary night. Its all one big happy Democratic family right?

August 19, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  2. Mike P is in L.A.

I feel like I'm in Willie Wonker. Anyone know when the text is coming in?

August 19, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  3. bush = niaCcMMcCain = bush

Honestly, Jeff Denver CO, isn't time for your nap, little boy.

August 19, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  4. Jimmy P - Chicago

I heard it's now going to be on Comedy Channel? Can you imagine more disillusioned fools in one locale?

August 19, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  5. Canuck

i hope he is doing the speech via webcast. no private jets. save the planet Al!!!

August 19, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  6. All Right

Al Gore lost his own state of TN in the 2000 election! Ha ha

August 19, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  7. Emma

Where is Gore on the Clinton's trying to steal the convention and the VP slot from Senator Obama. He should get some guts and stand and tell the Clinton's they are wrong.

I DO NOT WANT CLINTON AS THE VP CHOICE!

August 19, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  8. To Gore

Gore/CNN

We will not vote if HRC is not on ticket.

August 19, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  9. Bob Indianapolis, IN

The Nobel Prize winner who should have been president and saved us from the Orwellian nightmare of the past 8 years...Right on, Al!

August 19, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  10. Obvious

Nothing like the scare tactics of the phrases "left-wing" "socialist" and "liberal."

Is this what we should be worried about after the past 8 years of a freedom-stripping administration? John in Ohio put it exactly right!

Obama or Canada '08

August 19, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  11. Bush's grades were better than Kerry's at Yale

To "Average,"

You liberals crack me up with your theories about grades during college. Would you have used that as a criteria of comparing Nixon to JFK in 1960? Are you to tell me that McCain is not credible as a candiate because of what he did in college? Pardon me, but McCain spent his growing years serving in Vietnam, while Obama has admitting to having been an abuser.

Do you really want to base your opinion on what these candidates did in their youth?

Didn't think so. I suggest you either change your criteria or find a better candidate before picking on a guy like McCain, who suffered years of torture in service of his country. Name a single thing Obama did which is comparable in his service to his country.

August 19, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  12. John in Ohio

"As a Lifelong Democrat, who will be voting for McCain this Fall,"

Yeah, you're a liar.

Either you aren't a lifelong Democrat, or you aren't voting for McCain.

August 19, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  13. Charlotte Rowe

J Houston, you are clearly NOT a scientist with any education in earth science if you are so stupidly determined to disbelieve Gore's climate discussions. Those of us who are educated in earth and climate science and who have Ph.D.'s in the topic understand that your point of view has no merit and you don't know what you are talking about. Gore has got it right, he is on the correct side of the issue, and people need to listen to him. Hopefully this country will wake up from its oil-induced lethargy and get on the ball regarding climate and fossil fuels. It's high time.

August 19, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  14. TC

Al Gore is such a pretender... it hurts. He pretends to be a scientist - He is NOT. He pretends to be smart.... yeah, he's so smart that he couldn't finish divinity school or law school....

On top of being a pretender, he's such a great hypocrite - first making oodles of money in the Gore tradition of raping the earth and now reaping profits from his global warming snake oil industry. What a louse.

August 19, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  15. Greg Pottstown, Pa.

Steve/Houston,TX for Obama August 19th, 2008 12:44 pm ET

debkansas August 19th, 2008 12:20 pm ET

They all wanted the vp spot. They all backed stabbed Hillary. I have no use for any of them. I hope that Hillary keeps her delegates and give Obama to think about, or can he think on his own.
    ====================================================

Hillary Hillary Hillary! I can't live without Hillary! Hillary Clinton makes the world go around! People please give me a break! The primaries are OVER; she LOST! Move on, she has. I know that for some, this was the first primary that they ever voted in and for some reason are not very familiar with the process. There was no campaign out there to get Hillary. The DNC did not have it out for Mrs. Clinton. The process was not made up as the primaries went along. Florida and Michigan violated rules that have been in place and they had to suffer the consequences. If Hillary supporters want to be mad at someone and want to march in protest, protest in Florida and Michigan where they do not know how to follow the rules!
    ****************************************************************************
    6 other states broke the rules too, look it up. They all voted for Obama
    and they were all included. If those other six were not counted Obama would not be in the running today. I hate Hillary and would vote for a fifth grader over her but fact is that the dnc disqualified 2 of 8 states that moved up the primary date. Funny that the states they got rid of were states Hillary would have won.

August 19, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  16. Oz

To All the PUMA's and so-called dischanted voters:

2000 was the first time I ever voted in my whole life. And I voted for Gore. Needless to say, we all know how that election turned out. I felt cheated out of my vote and was like So much for Democracy.. And then I voted in 2004 and lost too with Kerry/Edwards ticket. This time around I'm voting for Obama and I don't intend on losing again.

The point is please don't ruin it for everyone else by being sore losers. She lost fair and square. Because even though my first vote was really stolen, I didn't say 'that's it. Im gonna start voting for someone else now'.. No I stuck by my team, in whole. Vote Strong, Vote Democrat

August 19, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  17. Mike, Syracuse, NY

karen-phoenix. If you did your homework you would know that 4 of the Keating 5 were Democrats, and 3 of these were found guilty. McCain and John Glen were found to have do nothing wrong. I guess you don't believe in the core American value of innocent until proven guilty. Google it and see, and stop spreading lies.

August 19, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  18. Andy

Since McCain is a Democrat there really is no suprise with all the moderate Democrats voting for him.

As for Gore, he brings absolutely nothing to the convention. If anything, he exposes the left wing of the Democrat party as radical loony's. This cannot lead to anything good for Obama and can really hurt the party when Republicans hammer Democrats in the fall on energy.

August 19, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  19. Deb

P.S. Well said Army Wife.

August 19, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  20. Andrew

Follow-up to Jim and Debkansas:

I'm sure Jim is right, but he doesn't go far enougn. If Obama loses because of the Clintons, it's not just black votes that Hillary won't get. And PUMA's who plan to vote for McCain would do well to investigate him on the subject of women.

August 19, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  21. Roz, IL

dems are stuck in the fix they rigged, blogged..............michelle obama said she would not vote for hill if she were the nominee.......WHEN. proof please or are you just about spreading lies and ignorance.

August 19, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  22. EDW

I am wondering in what manner is Barack Obama a loser. This is the man and his campaign that beat out the Clinton machine. He did so by running a flawless campaign and has made records in online donations. For those of you that call him a loser I am just wondering by what standards you run your life, how successful you are, and maybe you should find a thesaurus to find a better adjective.

Dems '08

August 19, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  23. Chip from Ohio

J from Houston is right on the money on this. Gore is a snake oil salesman.

August 19, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  24. Vinay Reddy

Al Gore IS the VP. I am the text message!!!

August 19, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  25. Hana, Saline, MI

How large a carbon footprint will Al leave when he jets in, on a private jet, for his lecturing of the American people?

August 19, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |