August 19th, 2008

Kaine to campaign with Obama on Thursday in Virginia

Kaine is one of Obama's most ardent backers.
Kaine is one of Obama's most ardent backers.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – With vice presidential speculation reaching fever pitch, Barack Obama's campaign said Tuesday that the Democrat will campaign in central Virginia later this week alongside V.P. contender Gov. Tim Kaine.

Kaine and Obama will host an invitation-only town hall meeting on Thursday in Chesterfield County, a suburb of Richmond. Kaine's sturdy performance in the traditionally conservative Richmond suburbs helped vault him to the governorship in 2005.

Kaine, the former mayor of Richmond, is widely regarded as one of the three top candidates for a slot on the Democratic ticket, along with Delaware Senator Joseph Biden and Indiana Senator Evan Bayh.

Obama has scheduled a campaign event for Saturday at the Old State Capitol in Springfield, Illinois, where he kicked off his presidential bid - but the campaign would neither confirm or deny whether the candidate will appear with his running mate.

Obama will also stump in the commonwealth on Wednesday with Virginia’s other two Democratic stars, Senator Jim Webb and former Governor and current Senate candidate Mark Warner, who is scheduled to keynote the Democratic National Convention in Denver.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Tim Kaine • Virginia
  1. Sebastian

Take the gloves off .... and keep them off Barack ....

August 19, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  2. well well now

I've only read the first link so far, and already have a comment. The author attempts to portray McCain's actions in Vietnam as somehow heroic. They weren't. According to McCain's own words in his autobiography FAITH OF MY FATHERS - within four days of being captive, he offered and then gave valuable and valid military information to his captors in return for medical treatment he wanted but which other POWs in his position didn't get. I have seen reports (one from a man who was the chief Republican investigator for the 1992 committee on POWs on which McCain sat) which indicates that McCain was the "star" of upwards of 30 propaganda broadcasts for his captors. I have seen reports from men who were Senior Ranking Officers at the prison camp in which McCain was purportedly incarcerated who said that, at a time when McCain claimed he was tortured, no torture was happening at that camp (they said they couldn't comment directly about McCain, since no POWs were present when one of their number was being questioned, but they spoke generally about the camp's activities and nature).

August 19, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  3. Ron

who the heck will it be...i can't see how Kaine or Bayh helps Obama on foreign policy...if it isn't Biden i don't know what to think!!

August 19, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  4. jeanette

Jim Webb is going to be the VP choice.
    Anyway, polls are not always right – too many variables.
    Also, does anyone find it strange that just before the election, when democrats are polling through the roof and the white house is within reach, that all of a sudden, out of nowhere, we're suddenly getting ready to possibly invade Russia??? Would the Bush Administration go so far as to back a Russian invasion of Georgia to get the American public back into war mode????
    Makes one ponder the possibilities.
    Anyway, Jim Webb is the man – wait and see. ;)

August 19, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  5. Nancy, Washington, DC

Kaine is the least qualified candidate on Obama's short list. Kind of works–the blind leading the blind.... over the abyss.

NObama!

August 19, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  6. jeanette

Kaine is a great guy – he would be excellent!
    BUT, Jim Webb will be the choice – wait and see.

August 19, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  7. Jim

Kaine who?

August 19, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  8. I miss Hillary

Mark Warner would be a much better VP choice than Kaine. I will be disappointed if he picks Kaine.

August 19, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  9. DAISY FROM NY

why every person who is name as potential vp are declining. It is a sign that being Obama running mate could be a hot potato nobody wants to hold...

August 19, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  10. Marge Hibbing Mn

Since the very day obama squeaked in to the nomination thru his manipulation of the caucus those who KNOW have said over and over. The DNC always snatches defeat out of a certain victory. And in obama's case that is exactly what they have done. I hate to see a republican win but WE TOLD YOU SO WHEN THE CABLE TV GOOD OLD BOYS, AND THE BLOGGERS SLURRED AND FLAMED AND LIED AND HAD TO DRAG UP 30 YEAR OLD INCIDENTS about Hillary , we told you obama wouldn't win he is all flash in the pan.

August 19, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  11. Barbara Brown

I am a Obama supporter i dont care what any poll says. CNN has to have rateings so I dont expect any more from them. Some of their anouncers has prejudice written all over their faces. One Lou Dobbs mainely. He is a total prejudice biggot,against spanish and blacks. Obama has the deck stacked against him from the day he decided to run for president.,and we all know why. The color of his skin!! Sad to say but true. He will prevail however. I have no doubt. All the Lou Dobbs in the world can't prevent it.

August 19, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  12. GrannyRyan53

Welcome aboard Vice President Kaine! He is an excellent choice. He's young and smart and not a part of Old Washington. Yeah! We are about to turn the page y'all!

Obama/Kaine 08

August 19, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  13. Critical View

Don't be stupid! You need Hillary to win Ohio and the presidency.

August 19, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  14. rory ryan

I am leaving my opinion here as you (CNN) close articles subjectively. CNN you really do not report objecively. If you did you would lose the mindless types that react to your simple psychology you call reporting. How do you get your poll results. And God forbid, the numbers were not close you would lose viewership.THe crawley article on the Rick Waren interview on your blogs was tilted toward McCain as you needed to bring the polls closer. How do you get your numbers? 1 million 2 million surveyed. Really now, who do want to win? Manipulate your articles so as to skew the vote in the direction that brings you ratings. A true disservice to Americans.

August 19, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  15. The Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

Hey he looks just sweat. wonder if they will meet Larry Craig. You know both Obama and Larry won in Idaho I am quite sure that was a fluke if you know what I mean. Can you imagine Obama carrying Idaho?

But that is one of the states that counted when Dean and the DNC gave the nod to Obama.

I was shocked as I 'm sure you were as well. Don't you know Hillary won the east coast, the west coast and the midwest along with MI and FL. She kicked Obama's butt all over the map.

I ask you,. what more could you ask for in a candidate?

Obama is risky and I don't want to gamble with my country and my values.,

August 19, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  16. VA Chris

Kaine is a very good Gov. and he practices what he preaches. He works hard for solutions. There was a bit of a stalemate on the roads and transportation issue here due to gridlock. Kaine maybe not the best to win over voters because he, himself, will receive some of the same charges Obama gets (experience, military and terrorism know-how and ability, etc..) It is a shame too, because Kaine would make a GREAT VP. If Obama wants to win this election, I sadly must say he has got to pick someone else. Somebody to appeal to Republicans who are angry with their party, someone who can appeal to anyone who is tired of high gas and food prices. That is my take on it anyways, I hope I am wrong, Obama picks him and he wins, but then we'd be losing a great Gov. and wouldn't have a good replacement.

August 19, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  17. Joe

Anybody in their right mind knows that if Obama wants to win the election by a landslide that he must choose Hillary for VP. I hope to God that he don't pick her. After seeing and hearing how lame he acted after the Russian invasion...No way I'd trust him on that 3 am phone call!

August 19, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  18. tedious898

What is America? I'm so tired of the Pumas and fake democrats (really republicans) saying Hillary should be the VP pick. I saw a blog today that made perfect sense. If Hillary had the 18 million plus supporters, where are they when her debt needs to be retired? Could it be many of her supporters were Repubs causing mischief? That would explain why she always had money issues during the primary. Think about it and get back to me.

August 19, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  19. kristy

If Obama stands any chance of becoming president, he will need to have Hillary as his running mate.

August 19, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  20. RE, MI

Better choose Hillary as VP if he wants to get elected. She brings excitement, experience to ticket.

August 19, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  21. jerry25

False about Biden.
    Biden IS THE GUY.

I just saw Mark Halperin on CNN say don't listen to Biden.
    Biden later came back after golf and basically said nervously to reporters he didn't know what was going on.
    Seems Biden is forcing himself to "not blow it" by saying too much.

Halperin thinks Biden is 1st choice, Bayh 2nd choice and 3rd choice is someone not mentioned and Halperin is still trying to figure out who that could be.

Halperin doesn't consider Kaine a top choice anymore.

Of course earlier, Sebelius (and Hillary) were accidentally eliminated when Barack say "He" in reference to his VP.

August 19, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  22. Kay

Obama lacks foreign policy experience in my opinion. He does not even have that much time logged in politics, period. I really think people need to look at who they are voting for. Do they really know who Obama is? What he stands for? What will be his response to Islamic countries? I will not vote for him. He lost my vote a long time ago.

August 19, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  23. pv

Who is Kaine you need Hilllary Obama

August 19, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  24. Jeff

Don't blame me I voted HIllary!

Go Hillary!!!

August 19, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  25. GO OBAMA

Obama needs to take hillary for vp he needs a big boost, if he dose not gat a big boost in the pools after the convention he is done.

August 19, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |