August 19th, 2008

McCain planning VP surprise?

Ridge and Lieberman campaigned for McCain in Pennsylvania last week.
Ridge and Lieberman campaigned for McCain in Pennsylvania last week.

(CNN) – Republican sources tell CNN that John McCain campaign manager Rick Davis and senior advisor Charlie Black have been calling activists to sound out the pros and cons of several possible running mates – including former Pennsylvania Governor Tom Ridge, a choice that could spark major discontent from the conservative base.

Several campaign officials say they do not believe a final decision has been made – though two sources say McCain may have already decided, and told only Davis. One party insider tells CNN that Davis has called several state party chairs indicating Ridge will be the Republican vice presidential pick this cycle – although it is possible that Christian conservatives may be playing up the former governor’s chances in an effort to raise alarm and prematurely kill off his candidacy.

Several conservative activists say they know McCain’s campaign manager has been warned of possible dire consequences for the Arizona senator’s presidential bid at the convention and beyond if he picks a candidate who supports abortion rights.

"If he picks Ridge, the convention blows up, you will have a base completely demoralized,” said one activist. “And it will be viewed that he is ceding the future of the GOP to a liberal Republican. It would be a disaster."

But the same activist also says McCain is unlikely to make that move, pointing to comments by the presumptive Republican nominee that he would most likely have an anti-abortion running mate, and remarks this weekend that he would have a "pro-life" presidency.

Filed under: Joe Lieberman • John McCain • Tom Ridge
  1. NotFallingInLine.org

McCain's VP choice will be either Pawlenty or Powell, the former being much more likely and the latter being THE surprise of the century if he were to accept the spot on McCain's ticket.

Either way, poor Barack doesn't stand a chance. The best Democratic Party leaders have already turned him down. Bayh might be able to help him, though he'd still lose, and Biden or Judas would likely decrease his chances of winning even more than they already are.

Knoxville

August 19, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  2. ObamaNation

My friends....McCain's pick will be lame. He doesn't want to pick someone that will overshadow him, so the choices are brought down to low-to-mid bland level. Think about it....My friends....

August 19, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  3. Raymond Duke

I do not think either one of these guys would help McCain. He needs to pick someone who will deliver a certain region of the country or the possibilty. He does not need to pick a southern person. The south is conservative to moderate and will in no way pick Obama the most liberal person in the senate. The only states in the south that will be even close is the ones with a large population of blacks or students going to college from yankee states or liberal west coast states.

August 19, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  4. Saad from NJ

It's going to be ME! I am unqualified, uneducated, illiterate, have no experience for this job and biggest idiot for the VP slot..... but you know what, I am better than Leiberman!

August 19, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  5. Joe in Dallas

Who better for Bush's third term than Bush's Director of Homeland Security? I guess Brownie wasn't interested?

August 19, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  6. Laura

Right Helene who cares who Barack Hussein Obama names. Maybe it will be Rezko after all he has economic experience crooked but experience huh?

Maybe he'll name Jeremiah Wright that will certainly help with the blue collar workers huh?

Maybe he name ayers..he's experienced in terrist attacks ...oh wait he is a terrorist. Maybe him huh?

So lay off McCain! Would you want someone treating your father or grandfather with the same type of respect you are showing? I don't think so! As a rule, Obama supporters are the most hateful bloggers I have ever come across. It is sad! If he is your example than no thanks!

August 19, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  7. LS

awhhh . . . McCain is trying to make his campaign out to be somewhat exciting for the Republican party.

Too bad – Bush has permanently stained his devastating trademarks on the Republican name and party, nothing really exciting about it at all come to think of it.

August 19, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  8. Rose

I will never vote for John McCain because he wants to tell the women of America what they can do with their own bodies. I don't care who his running mate is- McCain would be the one who appoints Supreme Court justices for life- and McCain made it clear that Roe-v-Wade should be overturned.

He is going to make criminals out of women and their doctors!

As far as you so-called feminist "PUMA" people, try explaining to your granddaughters someday why abortion is illegal because you were so bitter that you had to vote for someone your knew is anti-choice.

August 19, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  9. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Makes no difference, Obama in a walk, especially after they debate face-to-face on network television and not at another evangelical, GOP-stacked house like last time!

"My biggest failure.......was my first marriage." Talk about pandering to the holier-than-thou crowd!!!!!!

August 19, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  10. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I don't care who it is! I can't, in good conscience, vote for John McCain. He is too likely to put our armed forces in harm's way without just cause. He didn't support the new GI bill and has failed to support 6 of the last 8 military funding bills.

Just like 85% of my military brothers and sisters, I am now a strong supporter of Barack Obama.

August 19, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  11. Richard from DE

I am a registered Republican and for the first time in 42 years of voting, I will be casting for my vote for a Democrat President. I support Barack Obama and I am ashamed of the dirty tricks of the GOP. My father would be spinning in his grave if he knew where his once great party is heading.

August 19, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  12. ran

It will make no diff. OBAMA will win and life for most americans will get much better with OBAMA and a DEMOCRAT run HOR and SEN. Good for the US.

August 19, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  13. Veterans for Obama and Ex-Republicans for Obama!

I think that McBush should pick George Bush as his VP!

August 19, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  14. John

Helene
    I love liberals like you, you are so POLITE and HATEFUL.

August 19, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  15. nitro

Its amaysn how evertime Obama announce something McCain comes behind him and say the same thing. This guy has to be the biggest Get With in the world.

August 19, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  16. brenda

Oh Very COOL CNN!!

I can't leave a comment. Maybe because it is entitled McCain

August 19, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  17. debra

Who is Obama picking. Good ole boy, same ole same ole Washington as always Biden (SOB= Same ole Biden?

August 19, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  18. not surprised

Let the ridicule begin. Let the hate, disdain, and ugliness flow. Any by the way, vote Democrat because the other side are the ones full or racism, sexism, age discrimination and hate.

August 19, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  19. DJ

I'd love to see the right-wing wackos freak out at a Ridge pick. It's so fun to watch them squirm.

August 19, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  20. Lisa from Va

he's just trying to make some type of headline beacuse Barack is all in the news on his VP choice .
    So lame of Mccain

August 19, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  21. Do it!!!

Choose Looserman!!!

August 19, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  22. brenda

John!!

You should ask Hillary to be your VP. She comes with 18 million voters, and with the way her party has treated her, she is likely ready to tell them all to............. well you fill in the blanks

August 19, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  23. DJ Los Angeles

Please, please pick Joe Lieberman. lol

August 19, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  24. Mikey

Can someone please explain to me why, if Cindy McCain received a slight wrist injury shaking someone's hand, she has been walking around with her arm in a sling for a week?

August 19, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  25. greg

Who cares who and when and how Obomanation is chosing another gang member. Al Gore or Judas Powell …

August 19, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |