August 19th, 2008

Obama camp announces major weekend event in home state

Obama's event Saturday is at Springfield’s Old State Capitol, where he launched his presidential campaign.

(CNN) – Barack Obama's campaign confirms that the Illinois senator will hold an event in his home state Saturday, kicking off the "roll into the convention" - but would not confirm or deny reports that he might be joined on stage by a running mate.

The event will be held in the Old State Capitol in Springfield - where Obama first launched his presidential bid a year and a half ago.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Joe Kiloz

He needs all the extra hoola he can generate. I can't believe how weak

he came across on the debates. And this guy is a lawyer and taught ?

I hope DNC officials give him a crash course on being a more effective

debater. If the recent debate is any indication, he's going to lose the

elections when the country sees how sheepish, not in control, coward

like, and hard question avoidance tendencies he portrays.

August 19, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  2. M2CW

If Clinton isn't on the VP, I'm writing her in. I really believe the 2 of them could do so much for this country, but I don't feel comfortable with just one or the other. I think they will both keep one another accountable and besides, what a historical ticket that would be! I pray Obama picks her!

August 19, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  3. johnt

spend, spend, spend. please come to the obama extravaganza money is no object, they'll send more. oh by the way let me tell you about my fiscal restraint program we have to stop this spending going on in Washington yada yada yada

August 19, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  4. Freddie, MN

There won't be a slot for Hillary and there will be votes for Barack. I think PUMA people should meet at a bar and cry in their beers. They will not rain on this magnificent parade.

Obama 08

August 19, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  5. Laura

No Hillary no vote!!!

PUMA!! We will give Hillary the RESPECT she deserves. I've given my max in retiring the debt. You Obama supporters need Hillary and Bill. You better realize that before your golden goose lays a big fat egg!

Gallup 45%, McCain 44%....dead heat!!! What's the reason? You need Hillary supporters. The sooner you admit it the better.

August 19, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  6. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

PUMA is a joke. On Saturday, they were trying to raise $4000 and someone posted on their blog that if everyone gave $5, they would make it. Everyone? That means there are 800 PUMAs. No wonder they can't pay down her debt.

Yolanda, it's not going to be Hillary. So I guess we know what you'll be doing come November. Trying your best to ruin this country by giving us four more years of a Republican administration. Shame on you!

August 19, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  7. CanIputInMy02?

No Joshua, you'll vote McCain because you're scared of change, and a crybaby. We don't need you, we don't want you, as you were never going to vote for Obama anyways.

August 19, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |

USA

August 19, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  9. Wayne

Hillary who?

August 19, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  10. DJ Los Angeles

Rush Limbaugh kooks watch out. Obama Nation is taking over.

August 19, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  11. cherrystrawberry

I have such a "crush" on the next POTUS and his wife

August 19, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  12. Otogenarian

No Hillary! Vote your conscience! Who gives a rat's behindwho you vote for?

August 19, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  13. ObamaRocks

This is what you need to do ignore the old man Mccain false attacks and talk about he issues orginary people care about. I have no dout in mind that our next president is Obama.

August 19, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  14. b Jiggy

Some of the Clinton or McCain supporters are so rude. They are the reason their will never be any unity in the democratic party. And i've been asking this question now for the last 3 months of Clinton supporters and havent been answered once: If Clinton was such a great candidate, how did she run such a terrible campaign and get into 22.5 million dollars debt?
    :) Go Dems!!!

August 19, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  15. Filipina

I am soooooo excited,,,go obama whoever you pick is ok with me lol.
    I cant wait to take our country back.

August 19, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  16. Election Watcher

The best speech would be that he's dropping his bid for president.

August 19, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  17. kayla

SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE SEN.OBAMA, SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE..

August 19, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  18. Dean

LOL, it doesn't take much to get Obama supporters excited. Heck we're already through the roof.

Barack the Vote!

YES WE CAN!

August 19, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  19. Republican

Go Obama!

Party Unity, let's change this nation!

No more McLIES!

August 19, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  20. Greg P

This is great move if true, Biden is strong, smart and ready to roar back at the GOP machine. Its the new Democratic party, clinton-less (she better keep quiet or she will have more debt that she can handle).

Obama...Keep riding this till the wheels come off.

August 19, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  21. I'll Be There

DENVER OR BUST, BABY.

August 19, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  22. The Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

I am just soooo excited. Give me a break.

Obama is risky and a loser.

Go for McCain

August 19, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  23. steve

indonesia isn't a state.. i don't get it.

August 19, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  24. Otogenarian

One monkey never stopped the show, but maybe a lot of you monkeys might.

August 19, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  25. Old Fart

"Old State Capital." Sounds more like a McCain kinda place.

Zing!