August 19th, 2008

Obama camp announces major weekend event in home state

Obama's event Saturday is at Springfield’s Old State Capitol, where he launched his presidential campaign.

(CNN) – Barack Obama's campaign confirms that the Illinois senator will hold an event in his home state Saturday, kicking off the "roll into the convention" - but would not confirm or deny reports that he might be joined on stage by a running mate.

The event will be held in the Old State Capitol in Springfield - where Obama first launched his presidential bid a year and a half ago.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Mary (Texas)

Yeah – I guess this means everyone will be rubbing elbows with Obama' s pal – Tony Resko?? Or is he in jail??? Obama probably threw him in front of the bus!!

August 19, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  2. ObamaNation

The nation is behind you all the way, Obama!

August 19, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  3. Mark Cary, NC

Wasn't Hillary born and raised in Illinois? Just food for thought.

August 19, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  4. Terry, NJ

Pick Hillary, then I will vote for u. Don't pick Hillary and I will vote for McCain as many others will come November.

August 19, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  5. ELLINGTON7

It's gonna be funny when in 5 months barack is sworn in as president, and the republican party is in disbelief because there attempts to steal the election didn't work, and the rage hillary will have because with all of her sabotage attempts she still couldn't keep barack from winning. I'm gonna cherrish that date along with the rest of the educated americans and the international world, because we finally did something that should have been done long ago, and that's taken power for the ignorant, stupid rural, appalacian lowlifes of the country

August 19, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  6. Octogenarian

Seven decades + 4 decades= disaster. I prefer less. This is the modern age, not the Milldle ages

August 19, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  7. Jean

Dems celebrate stop hateing PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

August 19, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  8. pat C.

THANK YOU OBAMA FOR STEPPING UP TO THE PLATE AND DO WHAT YOU DO BEST....ENERGIZE THIS COUNTRY. McCAIN HAS NOMINATED THE NEWS MEDIA FOR THE LAST TIME WITH LIES AND SLANDER AGAINST OUR MAN THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!!!
    WE LOVE YOU OBAMA

August 19, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  9. Tony Z- MD

To HRC Supporters,

A vote for McCain by you is ending her political life. How can she gain a leadership position in the Senate? Will she be re-elected. There is no 2012 for her if you vote against Obama.

Lets agree that she ran a bad campaign.

August 19, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  10. Willow, in Iowa

Whoever Obama picks as VP will be good enough for me. People don't vote for VP anyway. they vote for the POTUS. I'm waitin' for my email!

August 19, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  11. Cheryl Tx

Lisa August 19th, 2008 2:55 pm ET
    Barack,I know whoever you selected will be an excellent choice and I'm so excited about the ticket already.
    Go Barack, Go America!We are taking our country back!!!!
    **I know there is a GOD ......LISA is that You **You feel ok ???

August 19, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  12. Jon, Pittsburgh, PA

Lifelong Democrat – now Independent.

Will NOT vote for a candidate with little experience at anything other than IL state politics for President of the USA.

Do not want to vote for McCain and probably won't.

Guess I will stay home in November...

August 19, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  13. gm

This is the greatest thing since Oreo cookies and cold milk.
    Sen Obama has taken the high road and not given into the negativity that the Republican canidate has stooped to. It is hard not to speculate who Barak's VP choice will be but keeping itunder raps until a few days before the convention is a great move.
    GOD BLESS YOU SEN OBAMA AND GOD BLESS THE USA

August 19, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  14. Felly

Obama is the real deal. What a breath of fresh air!

August 19, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  15. Octogenarian

Seven decades-4 decades=disaster. I prefer less. These are modern times, not the middle ages.

August 19, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  16. Nnamdi

Alice Brinkley, please get a life!

August 19, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  17. Raymond Duke

It is neither here or there to me .I would not vote for that snake oil salesman no matter who he picks. A non-news event for me.

August 19, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  18. carlo

Why is it that the tickers about McCain hardly have any posts? Because all of his supporters are on the Obama tickers. Go and support your candidate and stop bashing ours. If Obama is so insignificant to you, why are you on his tickers?

August 19, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  19. Matt

Obama
    Biden
    2008!

Obama and Biden would make a great team, coul easily crush a McCain/Romney ticket. It would make the media shut up about Obama's lack of experience of foriegn policy

August 19, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  20. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Personal to Kevin:

He studied at the feet of the masters.....and came back and bit them where it hurts!

You mean the Bush family didn't use any tricks?!?!?! And McBush is starting to copy them now!

August 19, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  21. Nnamdi

PUMA

PUMA
    PUMA

IF NO HILLARY THEN KILL BILL

August 19, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  22. Joe Cheese Milwaukee WI

All of you who want to justfy what Hillary said during the primaries and what she continues to do leading up to the convention keep it up. Those of you who want to take your country back continue to do your noble deeds. nuff said. We'll talk in November.

August 19, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  23. pam Eugene OR

As long as his choice is NOT Hillary I will be happy. I will be forced to stay home on election day if there is a Clinton on the ticket.
    Obama 08/12

August 19, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  24. JJ

Debbie, NY August 19th, 2008 3:02 pm ET

I'd like to teach the world to sing
    In perfect harmony
    I'd like to give the world a chance
    And keep it company

Peace Out

O/08

LOL! That's the best comment I read all day! Good one! :-)

August 19, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |