August 19th, 2008

Obama camp announces major weekend event in home state

Obama's event Saturday is at Springfield’s Old State Capitol, where he launched his presidential campaign.

(CNN) – Barack Obama's campaign confirms that the Illinois senator will hold an event in his home state Saturday, kicking off the "roll into the convention" - but would not confirm or deny reports that he might be joined on stage by a running mate.

The event will be held in the Old State Capitol in Springfield - where Obama first launched his presidential bid a year and a half ago.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. NO MCBOMA

I wonder if there will be any Bitter Americans, or better yet...................any typical white people at this wing- ding NoBama is having.

August 19, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  2. Kim

Joshua.....I wonder if you look as stupid as you sound?

Childish..............

August 19, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  3. dennis from chicago

VOTE FOR MC CAIN SIMPLY BECAUSE HE IS BETTER QUALIFIED i too supported HILLARY i voted democractic the last two times and loss the LAST TWO TIMES THIS TIME it's john mc cain/////chris/ romney/ pawlenty// huckabee.......be creative vote what is best for AMERICA..... not the glimmer of CHANGE with no direction

August 19, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  4. Mike

I live in Springfield! yay!

August 19, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  5. Mark from Naperville, IL

I will definitely be there! I missed his speech in Springfield when he announced his candidacy, because temps were below zero. This time my whole family will be there!

GO OBAMA!!!!

August 19, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  6. Alice in Florida

Whoop-dee-doo and a WOWOWOW!!!!

Who CARES what the stuttering fool is up to now???????????? I wish he'd go back to Europe or Hawaii and stay there forever!

Oh, and CNN – enough with the typos – what you MEANT was where he launched his "ego trip"

August 19, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  7. Mike, TX

Hopefully he'll resign and let Hillary accept what she won in the primaries, ie. the nomination!

August 19, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  8. J Skeezie

PUMAs need to move on. It's sad that their entire happiness is hell bent on Hillary Clinton. Wow. You tell me what's wrong with that picture!

August 19, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  9. Adrian D'Cruz

This guy Obama is the biggest hoodwinker of our time. he can go to hell, wether or not he selects Hilary as his running mate. He cannot and must not win under any circumstances. I am a Democrat but I will be voting Republican. Watch out this guy is inexperienced and will lead the US to disaster.

August 19, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  10. michael

Go Obama 2008. No matter what they do 'THEIR PURPOSE DRIVEN LIES' will fail.

August 19, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  11. Joe Reg

History in the making.

Only in the U. S. of A.

Obama/Biden 08/12.

August 19, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  12. Sammi from Philly

I wish I could be there.

August 19, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  13. Maggie

It drives me crazy when Obama and his team refer to Illinois as his
    "home state!" HAWAII is Mr. Obama's "HOME STATE" – NOT ILLINOIS!He represents Illinois in the U.S. SENATE but he was BORN in
    HAWAII! I am a fourth generation Illinoian and I can claim Illinois as my home state – NOT OBAMA!!

August 19, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  14. Paul

Obama is upset because he thinks McCain in questioning his patriotism. Gee, tells us about the patriotism of your wife, Michele, please. Oh please, explain this little inconsistency as well as you explain all the others, Barack old boy!! More double talk, please!!! I still don't understand your platform or even if you have one.

August 19, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  15. Accountant Guy

Awesome, can't wait!! Hopefully, it will be Biden, as they would be an amazing team!!

Obama/Biden '08

August 19, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  16. Puffy

Home sweet home!! That where everythinks has begin.
    We love u Barack!!!!!!!

August 19, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  17. Soldier 4 OBAMA

500,000 WILL BE IN SPRINGFIELD. THE New American Unions, Lincoln ushers in OBAMA-CLARK for a New American Union and Covenant with the Poor and Least Among us!

August 19, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  18. jt

It does not matter.

Obama has nothing, he just made a good speech and bam, people think he is ready for President.

I do not think so.

Big Mac is the Man.

Hero versus community organizer. By the way Obama said he used coccaine, I just wonder when.

August 19, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  19. Rohit

It's time to reclaim our great nation from the clutches of the stupid and weak. We deserve greatness, not sameness. Go Obama!!!!!

August 19, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  20. California Gold

Rumor has it John McCain will even show up. Just to see what it's like when a Presidential candidate is popular.

August 19, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  21. CitizenAJ

Ann,

Get off the Hilary for VP thing. Let this candidate, this nominee pick who he wants. If Hilary supporters don't want to support him, well, maybe America can take 4 more years of republican lead, inept policies and decisions. Its your call but you do realize you are making an emotional decision not a rational one. Unity comes from leadership and if Senator Clinton wants a unified party, the democrats will get a unified party. Catch my drift?

August 19, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  22. Houston, TX

Here we go baby!!!!! hehe

August 19, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  23. captain mike

To all PUMAs – live and learn ... go ahead and give this world an atomic war – that is what you will get with ole' Mac daddy.... I really do think PUMA was created by Neocons because they know that they are loosing. I have always been a Clinton supporter But come on folks, Hil friggin has lost! go ahead, change the rules to fit your opinions, that is how the Pumas roll. Remember when we were all kids, and some jerk would cut in line... well I still see people do that today except they are adults and they cheat, just like the CLINTONS

August 19, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  24. Gene

He'll probably have more people there than McCain at his "BIG" Ohio event.

And to the people who have already posted that Hillary is his only choice for VP... answer me one question....

Tell me how Hillary would be more qualified for the position than someone like Biden, or Hagel. This isn't a popularity contest.. this is about who's more qualified to do the job.. so I don't want answers like 18 million votes, or we need a woman.. or any stupid answers that mean nothing when it comes to actually doing the job. Tell me... What qualifies Hillary above these guys who have served much longer, have had MUCH more experience, and so far have NOT tried to stab Obama in the back countless times while begging him to pay off her debt?

I know experience isn't everything.. and Obviously these guys have more experience than Obama.. but Obama is the nominee already and there's nothing you can do about it... so I don't want to hear anything about Hillary having more experience than Obama at this point.

August 19, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  25. alejandro

sen. obama deserves become the president, for many reasons, i hope he become, not that old guy, who is jellos cause sen. obama ideas of prosperity.

dont vote for the old guy, republicans sucks.

Go OBAMA 08