August 19th, 2008

Rendell voting for Clinton

Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.
Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.

(CNN) – Perhaps Ed Rendell's name can be officially scrapped from the list of potential VPs.

The Pennsylvania governor and fervent Hillary Clinton backer said Monday he's planning to vote for the New York senator at the Democratic convention next week.

Rendell, who has been credited with helping to deliver his state to Clinton, told a Pennsylvania blog Monday that a vote for Clinton is not meant to show disunity.

"It honors the hard work of so many people who supported Sen. Clinton," he told PolitickerPA. "Many of the Pennsylvania delegates worked their heart out for Sen. Clinton, and they're excited to cast a vote for her. From my vantage point, that will be closure for them."

"Early on, I said I would cast my ballot for Sen. Clinton," he also said. "I'm going to cast my ballot for her, and then the moment I cast my vote, I'm going to continue to enthusiastically support Sen. Obama. It's going to be a good release for all of us."

Rendell has long said he would make a bad running mate, noting in an interview, "If I'm asked a question, I answer it and I tell the truth,” he said last February. "That probably isn't a good idea for someone who is the No. 2 on the ticket."

1. A. Boston, MA

This moron makes no sense. Enthusiastic support, oh that helps.
    He's right he'd make a horrible VP. He's already a horrible governor.

August 19, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  2. Dem for Unity

I see it this way. We have to have closer to this. I would love to see unity towards the democrats. Obama has the same stance as all of us democrats. We must unite

August 19, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  3. paul

I am tired of people calling anyone out for who they plan to vote for or being their energy behind in this race for the White House. In the beginning Obama was the candidate of "change". He was america's savior, THE ONE. And his followers would literally look at anyone who was for Clinton and Edwards with such a look of disgust that you would want to slap them to wipe the look off their face.

Now Obama, well, he is still their savior but he is also just like everyone else in the race ... the same old POLITICIAN who thinks bringing down his oponent is the right way without talking about what he stands for.

If Rendell wants to throw his vote behind Clinton, then let him. She is a great woman, a great person and a great politician. AND 18 million people, more than the present nominee voted for her!

August 19, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  4. Makes me sick!!!

When will this be over??? These people are totally crazy! All of this energy concerning Clinton should be exerted to retiring her debt. Do not ask any Obama supporter to pay this debt. This is a joke and her supporters are not handling their responsibilities that are incurred with this campaign. Obama and his supporters have handled the responsibilities that are incurred in a campaign.

August 19, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  5. Dave from Gainesville

If Clinton won 39% of the delegates in the actual election, and now 29% are saying that they'll vote for her when her name is placed in nomination - then, gosh, fellas, isn't the real story here that the disunity she's been fanning for all these months is melting into the background? ...But then that wouldn't be a juicy ratings-grabber, now, would it.

August 19, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  6. Proud to be Canadian

I wasn't a Hillary supporter in the Primaries but I really think an Obama Clinton ticket is the way to go. She does have a lot to offer and with Obama at the top of the ticket it makes sense. Is this the suprise announcement we will hear in the next 72 hrs?

August 19, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  7. Stacy

This is in mild reference to "Seattlites"....I have recently come to a realization regarding this whole ordeal. From everything I have read and watched, I have had an awakening of sorts. If I do NOT vote for Obama (regardless of the reason), I am labeled as a racist, bigotted idiot. If I DO vote for him, I am only doing so due to my excessive "white guilt." I can't win for losing on this one. I know plenty of people who are white who voted for Obama because of his ideals and message....and plenty of blacks who voted for him SOLELY on the basis of his skin tone. Where is the racism? You based your vote solely on the color of someone's skin?? Hmmm. I'm so tired of this debate. In my opinion Rendell is to be admired. Loyalty never goes out of style. He will support Obama in November, but is supporting "his" candidate at the convention. What's wrong with that? Loyalty is an important quality to possess. I'm just glad someone is standing up for Clinton when everyone else seems to want to just cram her face in the dirt and step on her back as they cross. When did we become such a nation of hateful people? When did loyalty go out of style? Manners and good graces are important...even in 2008. Maybe even more so now.

August 19, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  8. Pumas support Depends

Why don't you help her retire her debt ED. While you are at it have the rest of those PUMA Hags pony up.

August 19, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  9. Zman

I hope all the Hillary supporters realize that by their behavior they are making it very and pratically impossible in this life time for her to ever be president one day. I like hillary but her supporters are making me just disgusting her. That said I will never ever again support that woman because of her dumbs, stupids, soars, loosers supporters. About her debt; if they are so dedicated to her why the hell in the world haven't they give a just $1.00 each to pay it off. I'm sick of that bunch of hillary ignorant supporter that are still in the miasma morbid of notoriety existence.

August 19, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  10. M GREEN

Thank you Gov Rendell for remaining true to yourself. It is to the democratic party's demise to not commit to their own philosophies of their platform. People are/were drawn to the party because the individuals felt it best represented their views. You soon feel confined to the party's views – it doesn't work too well for most of us. The superdelegates "changing their minds" do not feel much like family. Donna Brazile lost any respect I once had for her in her "objectively transparent neutrality." I have always been a free thinker, now more than ever, I am encouraged to reach across party lines and vote. I deduct that McCain will perform better than Obama and sometimes we have a proud moment when we can stand for what we believe. I honestly believe, inclusive of our candidate choices, my message I send to our party outweighs the nonconsequence of my presidential vote.

August 19, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  11. Gary

Dan bring out a very good point about Hillary's debt. Where are her supporters when she needed them. Why is it that she had a huge lead in the polls and then did not win. I don't want to hear about Florida and Michigan. Everyone knew the rules going in to the primaries. Move on and take a look at the big picture. My wife and I changed party affiliations before the last election because we couldn't support the right wing Republicans. After all this, I think we are going to change to Independent. This in-fighting is stupid.

August 19, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  12. Rickymo

Thanks Ed! That's what it is all about...help the GOP anyway you can. I sure hope they help you with your re-election!

August 19, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  13. Dexter in Houston TX

Rendell is a joke...he's acting like a litte school girl who didn't get nominated for prom queen, so he is going to rebel. This is not a game...Rendell needs to save his emotion for his little pink diary he keeps under his pillow...GROW UP!

August 19, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  14. PA voter

Rendell has been the Clinton's lapdog for years. I'm not surprised at all by his voting. What happened to his statement that he'd do whatever he could to get Obama elected?

August 19, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |