August 19th, 2008

Rendell voting for Clinton

Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.
Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.

(CNN) – Perhaps Ed Rendell's name can be officially scrapped from the list of potential VPs.

The Pennsylvania governor and fervent Hillary Clinton backer said Monday he's planning to vote for the New York senator at the Democratic convention next week.

Rendell, who has been credited with helping to deliver his state to Clinton, told a Pennsylvania blog Monday that a vote for Clinton is not meant to show disunity.

"It honors the hard work of so many people who supported Sen. Clinton," he told PolitickerPA. "Many of the Pennsylvania delegates worked their heart out for Sen. Clinton, and they're excited to cast a vote for her. From my vantage point, that will be closure for them."

"Early on, I said I would cast my ballot for Sen. Clinton," he also said. "I'm going to cast my ballot for her, and then the moment I cast my vote, I'm going to continue to enthusiastically support Sen. Obama. It's going to be a good release for all of us."

Rendell has long said he would make a bad running mate, noting in an interview, "If I'm asked a question, I answer it and I tell the truth,” he said last February. "That probably isn't a good idea for someone who is the No. 2 on the ticket."

1. Erika, KS

What an honorable thing to do! I love it! Go HIllary! HILLARY FOREVER!

August 18, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  2. rachel

Go Rendall!!!!!!! I know that Hillary is going to release her delegates, but don't let DNC and Obama supporters bully you vote with your heart! Now I just wait for all the hate.

August 18, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  3. anna

No kidding, Governor. Being Outspoken gets you nowhere in politics.
    Schmooze Schmooze Schmooze!

Nice to see loyalty out there from somebody!

August 18, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  4. rachae

He is a idiot. Why are they going back on this. I am so sick of Hillary and company. I think we should replace all of them.

August 18, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  5. Clinton Fringer

Wow........a true friend and supporter that follows through with words and actions. No, he would not make a good Obama VP.

August 18, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  6. JOHN

WHO?

August 18, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  7. Scott L

A lot more people than you realize will vote for Hillary. Especially those that are going to get ousted by their states and districts who supported Clinton. Would be hilarious if Clinton actually gets more votes than Obama. Man that would be hilarious...

Still, the DNC convention is going to be a circus and there will probably be some booing by Hillary supporters when Obama gets up there. Only booing at the RNC will be when they talk about Barack Hussein Obama and the winning Republican Machine lets out a collective boooooooo as to how bad a nominee Obama really is. Feel really bad for you Dems on November 5th, 2008....what a mistake you have made.

August 18, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  8. J. McCaskill, Mississippi

That sounds great to me Governor.

Hillary Cliinton or John McCain for President 2008

August 18, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  9. catmom

It is really sad that given any opportunity Obama fans have to insult, degrade and vilify Hillary Clinton they come out in droves. You Obama fans have such an unbalance and biased opinion of Senator Clinton and that is what is destroying the Democratic party. Obama fans have treated her worse than any Republican ever has during this campaign. Obama fans are the reason why there is no party unity. You all need to get over yourselves. Obama and his camp want Clinton donors to raise money for HIM, They want Hillary and Bill to campaign for HIM and they want Hillary supporters to fully support HIM but they truly just want her to disappear. What are all of you afraid of ?

CNN do you think at sometime in my lifetime you will post one of my post?

August 18, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  10. Monica for Obama in Indiana

This convention is not about hillary and rendell only has one vote, just like everyone else. What he should do is retire hillary's debt so she won't be asking people who have less money than she to retire her debt.

August 18, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  11. well well now

OMG....i used to love the Clintons, now she has killed any chance of EVER running again. even with her 18 million supporters she has caused herself any chance of running. i know the pathetic (repubs) PUMA fanatics are going to love this one

August 18, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  12. Cindy

Well... If it makes him feel better, goferit.

And, I'm still withholding my donation to Hillary... cause it makes me feel worse...

August 18, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  13. James

Why is this news? I think that the media is continuing its quests to inspire "what's wrong with Obama? the sky is falling, the sky is falling"! We already know that 70% of the coverage on him has been negative. And yet he is still ahead. There will be no October surprises. The only thing surprising is the koolaid sipping media pals of John McCain are still not vetting him and his past and his supossed "strengths" (his maverick status, his POW cloak he drapes himself in but somehow "never wants to talk about it", his moral values). They would rather fester rifts in the Democratic party with continued stories like this one.

Why haven't we seen any stories envolving McCain's children from his first marriage?

Could it be that they don't respect him? Are they refusing to be interviewed or are McCain's koolaid sippers, the mainstream media, protecting him like they did Edwards by not bringing attention to his adulterous past? Did McCain threaten them not to make any public statements?

Or that they are following the golden rule-

If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all. I think that lack of support says volumes about not only McCain's family values but also his morals and his ethics.

August 18, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  14. James

Or that they are following the golden rule-

August 18, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  15. Chris

Who cares. Obama was smart enough not to pick Rendell anyways, and this ensures that he will not. Besides, the Democrats are not going to lose Pennsylvania.

Biden and Clinton are Obama's best choices (if what I hear about Clark and Bayh not being VP is true).

August 18, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  16. jane

Thank you, I wish I could do the same

Hillary supporter

August 18, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  17. JFK

At least he isnt like the the two faced Richardson! Some people stick to their guns and I think that takes far more guts. While Obama has it locked up I am sure, I applaud Rendell for sticking by his endorsement.

August 18, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  18. Jason

This is another set-up just like the forum on religion was on saturday by the weasel Rick Warren.. When will the Hillarites and those who want to be near the Queen B understand that you are attempting a coup of sorts.. You jaded, bitter PUMAS will get what you deserve. Your precious one will get trounced by the Repubs IF she steals the nomination. There are a few things that the Repubes like less than the Clintons. The turnout of the Repulsicans would be relitively low if Obama is the nominee rather than Billary...

You Pumas will stop at nothing until your anointed one gets the nod.. IF she is such dire straights Pumas, put your cash where your lips are and help your lady friend out. But NO you don't want to help her out. Talk about the kettle calling the pot black.. IF the roll call works like SHE thinks it will, the Dems will not hold the White House for 30-50 years.. Think about what you Pumas want to do!!

Anti-Puma.. Anti-Clinton..

August 18, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  19. Rick from Pa

Rendell is the best!
    He's been around the block and sees right through Obama.
    Obama is a politician from Chicago conning the American people, especially the kids.
    Thank God for people with brains like Rendell!

August 18, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  20. Good Friend

Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.
    Help her with her Debt SIR!!!!!

August 18, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  21. Clinton/McCain

This 29 year old male PUMA will not vote for Obama. The party is NOT united. What the Obama campaign pulled on McCain, accusing him of cheating in order to focus the attention away from Obama's poor showing at the forum reminds me of the tactics they played against Clinton and reinforces why I refuse to support Obama.

August 18, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  22. what I learned since 1980

This is B.S.

There is something incredibly "Clinton"...I mean fishy about this whole frickin thing.....What in the heck are you people up too?

I have a feeling someone is about to get screwed........

August 18, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  23. NoMcSame

Watch him Bill, payback is a MUTHA. He stands by her more than you Bill.

August 18, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  24. Wisest one of All

Everyone should vote for Hillary! Hussein Nobama has proven that he can not unite the party. Plus every time he speaks without a teleprompter telling him what to say he proves he is the most stupid candidate to run for office! Proven fact!

August 18, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  25. James

Rendell can vote however he likes. But if the Clinton supporters think they can sabotage Obama so that she can run again in 2012, they can forget it. No one's memory will be that short. And since all of the Democratic electorit is needed for a Democrat to win, she can forget about the black vote. We have voted percentage wise in the high 80's and better for Democratic (white) candidates for president for years with no reservation. But we will not be taken for granted or disrespected with a sabotaged Obama campaign. If she had had the most delegates within the rules of the DNC (so don't try to bring up FL and MI), we would have supported and voted for her. If we lived through Jim Crow, we can live through more republican rule.

Or that they are following the golden rule-