August 19th, 2008

Rendell voting for Clinton

Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.
Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.

(CNN) – Perhaps Ed Rendell's name can be officially scrapped from the list of potential VPs.

The Pennsylvania governor and fervent Hillary Clinton backer said Monday he's planning to vote for the New York senator at the Democratic convention next week.

Rendell, who has been credited with helping to deliver his state to Clinton, told a Pennsylvania blog Monday that a vote for Clinton is not meant to show disunity.

"It honors the hard work of so many people who supported Sen. Clinton," he told PolitickerPA. "Many of the Pennsylvania delegates worked their heart out for Sen. Clinton, and they're excited to cast a vote for her. From my vantage point, that will be closure for them."

"Early on, I said I would cast my ballot for Sen. Clinton," he also said. "I'm going to cast my ballot for her, and then the moment I cast my vote, I'm going to continue to enthusiastically support Sen. Obama. It's going to be a good release for all of us."

Rendell has long said he would make a bad running mate, noting in an interview, "If I'm asked a question, I answer it and I tell the truth,” he said last February. "That probably isn't a good idea for someone who is the No. 2 on the ticket."

1. JB, Boston

And by the way, to all of you spoiled, crybaby, sore loser HRC supporters:

Do you not realize that you have set the precedent for all things Hillary in the future. Just as you say, you will never vote for Obama, OBAMA SUPPORTERS WILL NEVER VOTE FOR HRC.

I never will, Obama supporters never will, African Americans never will.

So, basically, HRCs poltical career IS OVER. She and her rude supporters (sound familiar : ) ) have destroyed her career. She will be lucky to retain her senatorial post in NY.

August 19, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  2. Accountant Guy

Who cares! It's time to move on to more important things, she lost, get over it!!

Obama/Biden '08

August 19, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  3. Israel MN

You don't vote for an individual, you vote for policies and what they are going to do for the country..don't come on this site and sound like a moron !

My pet at home got more sense than some of you hillary suppoeters on this site. I once suppport hillary but it's time to move on.

August 19, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  4. MARYANN Oswego IL

I am voting for Hillary Clinton also...she should be the nominee..in my lifetime we always had a roll call at the convention. How is it NOW Obama gets to decide that it is OKAY to have Hillary's name and a roll call at the convention. Obama is a nobody that all of the "SO CALLED" change and hope elders in the party want because he is their puppet. Hillary would not put up with being told what to do and what to say...she is the kind of leader that we need.someone who can stand on their own two feet and fight for all of us.Obama is the DEMOCRATS version of George W Bush...thanks DEAN,PELOSI,KERRY and Ricardson..thanks for destroying our PARTY!!!!!( I will give Ted Kennedy the benefit of the doubt that he did not know how naive Obama is)

August 19, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  5. Respect

Govt. Rendell, I admire your loyalty and resolve. A true supporter. I would want friends like you. If I were a superdelegate and had pledged my support for Clinton I would vote for her anyway!

I still think Clinton is the stronger and finer candidate. What a shame. Oh well, such is life. Clinton all the way!

I am a Black 25 year old male and I approve this message…

August 19, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  6. Hello!!!

Clinton/Rendell...would have been unstoppable.
    Obama should be WELL ahead in polls right now.
    What's wrong????
    Could it be, that when he said, "I'm pretty sure I can get her voters, but I'm not so sure she can get mine..." his judgement was off???
    How about, "You're likeable enough, Hillary"
    How about snubbing her at the State of the Union,
    How about calling her the Senator from Punjab...
    How about, "Periodically, she gets upset..."
    How about, "I'll have to see her tone before I say I will support her for President" (Michelle)
    How about, "If she can't run her own house, how can she run the White House" (Michelle)
    How about wiping her offf his shoulder...
    How about calling THE ONLY SUCCESSFUL DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENT WE"VE HAD IN AGES A RACIST?????
    How about, MSM DROOLING over everthing BO did for a year before vetting ANYTHING about him?

And Obama thinks he'll get Hillary's voters????????
    David Gergen is absolutely correct, McCain has heart touching stories, a life time of experience to draw upon, and actually is proving to be pretty charismatic and funny. He'll win the debates, why do you think Bo will NOT DEBATE McCAIN before the conventions????? McCain will do a good job as president, he's worked across party lines all his life.

McCain's the one that gave Hillary support when the lovely reverend (another BO friend) said such vile things about her. He has my family's vote.

August 19, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  7. OhioBama

Obama beat Hilliary. Let us move on people...it's healthier.

August 19, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  8. Seattlites for Obama 08'

All you white people doing what you do. Hillary, Hillary, Hillary. Turn your back on the candidate for your party because he is black. You all lack a conscience and should vote republican because that is exactly what you are. Racist, bigotted, idiots that have ne morals and would rather put someone in office because of their skin color then the smarter more educated person who is surely for all the people. We will see how you reap the rewards of a great president. PUMA$$ jerks.......

GOBAMA '08

August 19, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  9. Angie

Aware-

YOU are a loser and in denial. So obviously you are a Republican, posing as a Democrat. The Democrats will unite. We just have to let Hillary whine a little bit longer.

Definitely OBAMA 08

August 19, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  10. Chris

Contrary to what some people say about 'old guard, sinking with the ship rather than hand the wheel to a new captain' . I would like to say only one thing ..
    Think RATS !!
    who run from HRC to BO (Body Odor anyone :) )
    we need to get rid for BO .. use the
    Mcain '08

August 19, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  11. HRC

I am a Black 25 year old male and I approve this message…

August 19, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  12. Matt-NE

Having mastered the politics of division, the democrats couldn't help but divide their own party.

Hearing Obama speak tells anyone that he plans on furthering the divisiveness in this country.

Hillary could have possibly united the country as she is more of a centrist.

McCain is more like a centrist democrat than Obama is.

August 19, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  13. nibblybits

Hillary can't even get her own campaign out of debt; how can she possibly be expected to handle the economic crisis we're in.

Hillary was never qualified to be President. And she ran her campaign into the ground.

Feel free to vote for her in November, Hill-tards! The rest of us have moved on.

August 19, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  14. demgirl

way to go, Ed. you'll be nominating for many of us.

August 19, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  15. susan

Who is the loser here?? The one who is mired in debt after a failed campaign or the one who is getting millions in donations a day?

August 19, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  16. Black male, young and educated for Clinton!

August 19, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  17. Joe

The media has to get over this. If you really think Governor Rendell is not going to put his full support behind the party's nominee in the fall, you're on drugs. There is something that is all too often lost in today's politics and that is loyalty. I was an early supporter of Senator Obama and I remain a strong supporter today. That doesn't mean that I don't respect Senator Clinton and what she has brought to this race. I suspect, Governor Rendell feels the same way and he feels that voting for Senator Clinton at the convention is both being loyal to her as well as to the voters of Pennsylvania. The only problem here is that it was so clear that the Democrats had great candidates this year. You don't see this problem in the Republican party because they didn't have such great candidates. In fact, Senator McCain had to adopt every single policy that has made President Bush the most unpopular President of the modern era in order to satisfy enough of the party base to get the nomination and that doesn't bode so well in an election when over 80% of the country think we're on the wrong track.

Senator Obama will be the Democratic nominee and he'll have a running mate (don't count out that it is Senator Clinton because there could be huge historic significance of having her accept on Tuesday night) that is also capable of working to bring this country together and put it on the right track. And more over, Democrats WILL be united in the fall because we know that changing the course of our country is sorely needed.

August 19, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  18. pops

NEVER in the history of a presidential race has DUMB comments and actions has been made considering a clear winner for the democratic nominee. Hillary "fans" should put their energy into supporting Obama, global warming, energy and saving the well being of the USA then using their wasted time and energy whinning.

August 19, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  19. Cynthia

Let's hope that Senator Clinton will do the right thing. She lost and that is the bottom line. If Senator Obama had lost – he would have happily supported Senator Clinton and I think that she should do the same thing. Senator Obama's supporters would have gotten behind the Democratic nominee without fail and pulled together to support her no matter what.

August 19, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  20. DW, NY FOR OBAMA '08

Obama doesn't need his help anyway. Like Dan said, let HRC's 18 Million so-called supporters bring a dollar to the convention to clear her debt. So sick of hearing about HRC - barf bag please.

August 19, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  21. geen

why are so many of these clowns who worked for Clinton legends in their own minds? Maybe, I'm thinking, this is a good thing..nominate Clinton, have her losers cast their ballots for her, then support Obama....hmm..yeah, like THAT is the plan. Have no doubt about it–Clinton is and will hope, connive, deceive, plan, plot behind the scenes, until the last ballot is cast making Obama the nominee, to get THAT nomination! the Clinton's long ago decided, it seems, to read the playbook of Nixon and his dirty tricks. Clinton just doesn't get it..it ISN'T because she is a woman that people don't like her...it is because she is a 'slug' like her husband....people who have no use for Clinton would gladly accept someone like Sibelius (whose husband, incidentally, DIDN'T cheat on and humiliate, in front of the world, her.

August 19, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  22. Help Us all

This election is ridiculous. I hope Obama knew what he was getting into with the Mi/Fl delegates this whole thing could just backfire on him and he'll spend a year in court fighting over it :(

August 19, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  23. PAVoter

Shame on you, Governor Rendell.

As a citizen of Pennsylvania, I am completely disheartened that Ed Rendell would show disloyalty to not only his own party, but the citizens of this state who have moved on from the primaries and have thrown their true support behind the nominee.

August 19, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  24. moon mullin

The Democrats are so close and they will lose because of just this type of thing. So sad.

August 19, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  25. Babs

Allowing Clinton's name to be put into nomination is/was dumb move – both Clinton's will do whatever it takes to be the next President and please remember she said she SUSPENDED her campaign not stopped. And in another article it nows says "she is still mired in debt – Clinton seeks cash" HELLO HILLARY... you used YOUR OWN money... tough... go back to work oh wait.. you are still getting paid your senators salary and your husband is still collecting his salary and still getting paid a high premium to speak... Nobody is paying off my debt for money I have spent... PEOPLE the Clinton's do not need a tag day..

August 19, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |