August 19th, 2008

Rendell voting for Clinton

Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.
Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.

(CNN) – Perhaps Ed Rendell's name can be officially scrapped from the list of potential VPs.

The Pennsylvania governor and fervent Hillary Clinton backer said Monday he's planning to vote for the New York senator at the Democratic convention next week.

Rendell, who has been credited with helping to deliver his state to Clinton, told a Pennsylvania blog Monday that a vote for Clinton is not meant to show disunity.

"It honors the hard work of so many people who supported Sen. Clinton," he told PolitickerPA. "Many of the Pennsylvania delegates worked their heart out for Sen. Clinton, and they're excited to cast a vote for her. From my vantage point, that will be closure for them."

"Early on, I said I would cast my ballot for Sen. Clinton," he also said. "I'm going to cast my ballot for her, and then the moment I cast my vote, I'm going to continue to enthusiastically support Sen. Obama. It's going to be a good release for all of us."

Rendell has long said he would make a bad running mate, noting in an interview, "If I'm asked a question, I answer it and I tell the truth,” he said last February. "That probably isn't a good idea for someone who is the No. 2 on the ticket."

1. Dean

aware

I have a question, Do you know obama and if so how?

August 19, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  2. Rachelraye- MD

You all are going to be losers come this fall if you keep sticking with Hillary Clinton who by the way is not the nominee. You better wake up and smell the coffee we don't need a Republican in the white house this go around. Yes, I was and still am an Obama supporter but I tell you what if Hillary would have won my vote would be with her. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

August 19, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  3. George from Staten Island

This is what happens whne you compromise so much, without thinking properly. Obama gone with the wind.

August 19, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  4. NMB

Let's see which reporter will have the guts to ask him if he enjoyed his catharsis!

August 19, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  5. ree

Good for you. The only night I will be watching is when Sen. Clinton speaks. I won't be voting for Obama.

August 19, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  6. Karen from Charlottesville

I guess it's politics as usual, but I don't understand why he would throw away a very important vote just to make a statement. I feel that the only reason he would do this is that there is some potential political payoff for him. Obama may be president in 2008 but you can be sure that Clinton will be back in the picture.

August 19, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  7. The Truth

C'mon CNN, two Hillary tickers back to back? And she's not even in the presidential race? Sounds like you guys are just stirring up trouble and attempting to further divide the Dem party.
    Let's see more tickers about Obama or McCain, the two presidential candidates. Hillary is irrelevant.

August 19, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  8. People make no sense

William – that is not what loyalty is about. Ed Rendell supported Kerry in 04 and now he supports Hillary. If he was loyal he'd still support Kerry. Oh, he's not supporting Kerry anymore because Kerry is out of the race! BINGO! Bye Hillary.

August 19, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  9. Tolu

Pathetic. Really. Some people just don't seem to know when to accept defeat. How can you say you'll enthusiastically support someone while voting for someone else. Catharsis, my arse! And I think Hillary Clinton is a lying cow, savouring every bit of this discord smugly, while pretending that she supports Obama. The loser that just keeps right on losing. No grace whatsoever!

August 19, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  10. Longtime Democrat

Thank you Gov. Rendell

August 19, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  11. Renee

Everyday, it seems like I hate the Klintons and their racist folks more and more. Never forget.....

August 19, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  12. Shon

Hillary will NOT defeat McCain, b/c if this nomination is swindled from Obama, Hillary will not be able to gain his supporters and she will lose. I for one wouldn't vote at all.

August 19, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  13. Sour Grapes

grow up, ed.

August 19, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  14. tom

aware

Unfortunatly he won over you star Hillary it is either you get over it or the next 4years your are going to be the most stressed person, because Hillary is not going to be the President this time, Obama or Mc Cain one of them no Hillary, get over it well come to real world, you are just like Bush so hard headed and no sense at all.

August 19, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  15. BR

Oh no, not everyone is falling in line with the Messiah. How could this be? According to Pelosi, he is a gift from God. Are you joking? Keep drinking the kool-aid people.

August 19, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  16. Bob From Pittsburgh

Aware worte:

OBAMA IS A LOSER!

Judging by your childish comments, obviously you have more credentials than senator Obama.. do you?

or simply you have lots of time to write continuosly at your desk in a dead end job.

Get a life

Obama 08

August 19, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  17. RJ, CA

Anyone but Obama for my country!

August 19, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  18. pops

Shree, Aware & William,

With people like you, ...so wonder the democratic party isn't unified! If you can't help sail(being a team player),....get off the boat.

August 19, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  19. Leper Colony of Pariah Hill

William:

Inversely, Clinton supporters have done the same-yet would never acknowledge Clinton's kitchen sink strategy, dishonesty, or lack of grace in defeat as any reason for the present disunity in the party.

Whether it is in 4 years or 8 years, educated, global-minded people are going to rise up again and defeat Clinton again.

August 19, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  20. Miley

I like Barack Obama, but he doesn't help her with her debt, then I will not be casting my vote for him upcoming fall. Statistics may suggest that Hillary supporters are turning over to him, but it's in fewer numbers than people think. Clinton 08...we'll have it after Obama destroys any hope for change. UGh.

August 19, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  21. Very Important

Didn't Warren say they tossed a coin to decide who goes first?
    If McCain wasn't even in the building, did they toss without him?

Such a big gray area! Can someone answer that?

Something is NOT right!

August 19, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  22. real change

1) Another horrible title that doesnt accurately describe the article...not sure how this is news, many of the delegates whose districts voted for clinton will be casting their vote as such, wasnt that the whole purpose of putting her name on the ballot?

2) Clinton isnt going to win, she has lost, there is no big conspiracy to keep her out....she just didnt get enough votes, people need to get over it and find someone else to vote for.

3) I cant believe Clinton wants the public too retire her fund, how bout her and bill sell one of their multi-million dollar houses to pay for it, or take some of that book money.....Clintons are a tired scene in washington...was a huge fan of them until they showed how much more they care about personal achievements as opposed to uniting a party hoping to win a huge election, democrats wont win if she causes trouble

August 19, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  23. Abby

“A woman who wildly mismanages and bankrupts a quarter-of-a-billion-dollar campaign operation, and then blames sexism in society, will dampen the dreams of our daughters.” -MAUREEN DOWD

August 19, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  24. Joyce in Florida

Great, Governor Rendell. Glad to hear it. Yes, the convention will be an emotional one. I still believe the stronger candidate to beat John McCain is Hillary Clinton. She should hold on to ALL her delegates and we will wait and see what happens during the roll call. She has just as much right to this as Senator Obama. Still a Clinton supporter and if she doesn't win the nomination, she should be picked as his V.P. if the Democrats want to win back the White House. GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 19, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  25. Dave in Houston

Hillary and the crazy PUMAs don't think it is over. This isn't symbolic - it is her attempt to override the will of the people and the party.

I predict that idiots like Shree Shrestha will try to release some bombshell about Obama and stampede the superdelegates into nominating Hillary.

Hillary supporters: Go ahead and either support McCain or be very lame in your support of Obama and deal with the McCain Supreme Court. You'll lose control over your bodies and you'll end up stuck back in the kitchen.

August 19, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |