August 19th, 2008

Rendell voting for Clinton

Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.
Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.

(CNN) – Perhaps Ed Rendell's name can be officially scrapped from the list of potential VPs.

The Pennsylvania governor and fervent Hillary Clinton backer said Monday he's planning to vote for the New York senator at the Democratic convention next week.

Rendell, who has been credited with helping to deliver his state to Clinton, told a Pennsylvania blog Monday that a vote for Clinton is not meant to show disunity.

"It honors the hard work of so many people who supported Sen. Clinton," he told PolitickerPA. "Many of the Pennsylvania delegates worked their heart out for Sen. Clinton, and they're excited to cast a vote for her. From my vantage point, that will be closure for them."

"Early on, I said I would cast my ballot for Sen. Clinton," he also said. "I'm going to cast my ballot for her, and then the moment I cast my vote, I'm going to continue to enthusiastically support Sen. Obama. It's going to be a good release for all of us."

Rendell has long said he would make a bad running mate, noting in an interview, "If I'm asked a question, I answer it and I tell the truth,” he said last February. "That probably isn't a good idea for someone who is the No. 2 on the ticket."

1. Don

CNN u are orchestrating disunity. This is a not unusual. Obama will be the nominee, but Clinton delegates can still cast votes for her. This has been said all along.

August 19, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  2. Joe - Missouri

Good for you!! Show those Dems that they can't steamroll everyone. I'll be casting my vote for Hillary in November!! My vote, my choice, who cares if I'm in a swing state. Let the chips fall as they may, if the Dems lose it's their fault!!

By the way, if the Obama supporters are so confident then why do they get SO bent out of shape and resort to spewing hate about Hillary...guess it doesn't take a deep thinker to be suckered in to supporting someone with all talk and no substance.

August 19, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  3. joey

How about Obama 08 Clinton 2012!! that way the puma's can be happy and the obama camp can be too!!

August 19, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  4. Charlotte

I plan to write her name on my ballot in November and feel good about it..

August 19, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  5. Bert

Thank you, Ed. Finally, someone with a backbone. And a brain.

August 19, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  6. BJ, Texas

Perfect reason why not to vote for the libs. Their party is in total disarray and that's just how they would run our country - right into the ground. Wake up you libs, WHY would anyone in their right mind want to vote your candidate into office. You're all a bunch of mindless nimwits.

August 19, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  7. Jake

Something's afoot here Watson...

August 19, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  8. Alice Brinkley

What drivel! The democrats are badly divided but are publicly pretending that all is well. Typical democrat hype.

August 19, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  9. tim

I don't think Rendell will lift a finger for Obama at all over the next few months... he seems slimy and in love with the Clintons.

Obama, don't hang your hope on getting him to help you!

Closure!?!?! Im sorry, but why are we pandering to Hillary so much.... yeah, Bill did a decent job, but we are treating her like she is a godsend and we need to pander to her feelings.

CNN.... why do you allow "aware" to call Obama a loser.... I thought this was moderated? If "aware" has a problem with Obama, at least don't call him or allow him to call Obama a loser.

How about this.... Aware.... you are a loser! Gotcha!

August 19, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  10. Billy

Don't get me wrong, I would vote for Hillary over McCain anyday if there were no other choices. But I find it hard to vote for her when she smiles like the Joker from Batman. Hmmmmm...

August 19, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  11. Jerry

Want these people who supported Clinton give up and back Obamaif you guys were a true harded demoncratic you will back Obama, why you dont hear the republican not supporting McCain. This is so sad to see the demoncratic party not united behind the nonimee.

Obama 08

August 19, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  12. Mike - Texas

When they start tallying the votes by state at the convention, it will come in alphabetical order and Hillary will build a fairly large lead at some points. Since Obama was good enough to include Florida and Michigan with full vote counts, it will make the final vote even closer and neither candidate currently has enough votes to win the nomination out right. The is where the super delegates come in and this may make some of Obama's super delegates reconsider their vote.

With Bill and Hillary each having a day to speak at the election, it could get interesting.

Hillary might just be the nominee when it is all said and done.

August 19, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  13. Katie

I am saddened that some dems value power over actually helping to change our country. If either Rendell or Clinton truly believed in what they spout, they would help get Obama elected to get things done. But they don't care about anything but themselves. It's truly sad.

August 19, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  14. Linda from Prescott AZ

I agree with swalker3.
    This is just too darned much, do people really know what is at stake here. In all my years of voting, my candidate of choice in the primary was not always the nominee; however, I fully supported the chose person. You don't say, oh I'm going to vote for the loser, hell no...you get behind the nominee and you certainly don't throw your vote away and take a chance on electing someone as horrifying as john mccain who is still buried in the past and has been dishonest (Keating 5), UNFAITHFUL and is not a supporter to any women's issues.
    Get smart, vote Obama 08.

August 19, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  15. Chad, Wisco

Obama = Socialism

August 19, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  16. Alex

This is absolutely ridiculous. A ROLL CALL IS NORMAL AND TRADITIONAL at conventions! This is all just the media and some Clinton haters trying to stir up trouble. Give me a break! Shame on you CNN for propagating such nonsense!

August 19, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  17. Gary

All of you Clinton supporters are incredible. Stop your wimpering and support the candidate that won.

August 19, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  18. Abby

LOL llok, You panseees, think about it!!! Lets say the SDs collectively change their minds and nominate Clinton….what you think are her chances with furious base of young people, activist groups and African-Americas sitting it out? It would be the biggest blowout in election history. She would be humiliated. Face it.

August 19, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  19. Bill in DC

What a rat.

August 19, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  20. Lawrence Usher

all of you die hard Clinton fans are looking so pathetic. Get it through your heads!!!,, SHE LOST!!!!, fair and square. I personally think highly of her, but she still lost. Unify please and lets not have 4-8 more years of a Republican administration

August 19, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  21. bellabella

Birds of a feather, stick together, right????? This is NO big surprise!!

August 19, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  22. Citizen Ruth

Hillary and Rendell are both losers.

August 19, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  23. loose

Go Rendell!!!

Obama will loose without HRC. Hillary is the only right candidate either for president or VP. Obama cannot win by himself

August 19, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  24. S. Shay

Dan – you are funny.

Why would Ed Rendell even broadcast this? I hope Obama changes his mind and goes, 'Ya know what? I changed my mind, your wide, whiny butt can't speak at MY convention after all, and take your senile, philandering, pseudo-husband with you.'

Now that's a catharsis...

August 19, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  25. Keith

If Clinton was such a winner why did she LOSE the democratic nomination. CLINTON supporters are just STUPID. They can't get over that CLINTON lost Obama is the better candidate. Why can't you just let it go.

August 19, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |