August 19th, 2008

Rendell voting for Clinton

Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.
Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.

(CNN) – Perhaps Ed Rendell's name can be officially scrapped from the list of potential VPs.

The Pennsylvania governor and fervent Hillary Clinton backer said Monday he's planning to vote for the New York senator at the Democratic convention next week.

Rendell, who has been credited with helping to deliver his state to Clinton, told a Pennsylvania blog Monday that a vote for Clinton is not meant to show disunity.

"It honors the hard work of so many people who supported Sen. Clinton," he told PolitickerPA. "Many of the Pennsylvania delegates worked their heart out for Sen. Clinton, and they're excited to cast a vote for her. From my vantage point, that will be closure for them."

"Early on, I said I would cast my ballot for Sen. Clinton," he also said. "I'm going to cast my ballot for her, and then the moment I cast my vote, I'm going to continue to enthusiastically support Sen. Obama. It's going to be a good release for all of us."

Rendell has long said he would make a bad running mate, noting in an interview, "If I'm asked a question, I answer it and I tell the truth,” he said last February. "That probably isn't a good idea for someone who is the No. 2 on the ticket."

1. DPerry

Hey William, aware, and Shree, how about shut it and help pay off her debt if you really care.

August 19, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  2. Barr 08

Well Rendell and all of you sore losers, put your money up! I love how you guys get on all of these comment boards crying and whining, but never put any action behind your words. This is why demcrats have such a bad rep as the party that talks a good game but never gets anything done! While BO has over 2 million people donate to his campaign, HRC folks talk a good game, but the proof is in her debt, that you ARE NOT THAT SERIOUS about "your" candidate, lol!

If HRC can't even get her own supporters (18 million supposedly) to come together and help her pay down her debt, than how is she going to bring together the country?

August 19, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  3. TWT

As long as hate rules emotions the Rep. Party will be there for another 10 years. Grow up people or shut up after you get what you asked for. See you at the soap line.

August 19, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  4. NO OBAMA

GOOD!! I hope all of Hillary's supporters follow the Governor's lead. Obama is a disaster waiting to happen! He is so not qualified to be President of this country. We do not need another 4 years of an unqualified President. That is all Obama will be.

Hillary should be the nominee!!!

August 19, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  5. Barr 08

Your comment is awaiting moderation. CNN PLEASE POST!!!

August 19, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  6. Kevin, Austin TX

William – this has so little to do with loyalty, though I admire (to an extent anyways.)

This has to do with the best method for governing our country. And the Republicans over the past eight years have shown complete contempt and incompetence for governance.

It is time to let another party – the Democrats – take the wheel. I support Obama. I would have voted for Clinton had she won. What about all the supporters of the other primary candidates. Should they vote for their candidates?

"If Obama should lose, C'est la vie" – I am saddened that you have such contempt for my children who will suffer the fallout of your "C'est la vie" attitude and another Repbulican adminstration bent on spending us into economic oblivion. Shame on you for your misguided loyalty. Your country should come first, William.

August 19, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  7. simple thought

a man of his word, i respect your decision.
    and this democrat vote will go to mccain in nov.
    bowling green mo.

August 19, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  8. Natasha

Who cares............ He was not an option really.

August 19, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  9. Michelle, PA

I had a few dogs in the Democratic primaries before settling on Obama, but I was never a Hillary supporter and this whole convention soap opera is why. She squanders her brilliance and connectivity (with Bill cheering her on) in self-service and a sense of entitlement. Some of her supporters are far worse, throwing tantrums like spoiled children and threatening to destroy what their candidate could not win and they cannot steal. All I can say to Rendell (and those far worse) is: Be Careful. If Obama goes down in history as losing because of the hijinks of the Clintons and their brat pack, the Clintons will be permanent pariahs in the Democratic party.

August 19, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  10. Ed

Can we get a round of applause for a politician who is going with his conscience rather than merely doing what is politically expedient? We need many more Ed Rendells in this party. 2230 of them, to be precise!

August 19, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  11. Sophia,23-OBAMA VOTER

He's a sore loser just like her PUMA supporters.....OBAMA WILL WIN IN NOVEMBER....FACE IT AND LIVE WITH IT!!!

August 19, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  12. Richard

A vote for Clinton is a vote for McCain/4 more years of Bush. We will know who to blame, and while you're so up in arms now, you'll be hoping it doesn't get brought up at that big Christmas dinner later.

August 19, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  13. Ontaya

If McSame wins the white house we can blame the bitter democratic party! And that will be so sad! I'm still hopeful that the majority of Clinton supporters will come to their senses.

Time will tell!

August 19, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  14. Joseph

Rendell is an unpopular lame duck governor of Pennsylvania. Enough said!

August 19, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  15. Crush Rush

I think Rush has a crush on her,he wants her elected so he has at least four years to pick on her for his own job security and in hopes she and Bill will get a divorce.

August 19, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  16. JC North Carolina

It is funny to me how divided the Democratic party really is, yet they do not see it as such.

Everyone get ready for Bush Part III in November because Hillary and her supporters are vindictive and will do anything to "let their voice be heard" even if it means not seeing a dem get elected.

This will surely set her up to run again in 4 years on the platform that Sen Obama couldn't beat him, but she could.

Such a shame.

August 19, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  17. sophiek

good!!!! now lets hope more will follow rendell's lead.

August 19, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  18. v.a.

oh, gosh. way to stir up drama and fuel the retarded PUMAs.

August 19, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  19. Sophia,23-OBAMA VOTER

WHY DON'T HIM AND HER OTHER 18 MILLION SUPPORTERS DONATE A DOLLAR TO GET HER OUT OF DEBT????

SOME REAL SUPPORTERS

(VERY SARCASTIC)

August 19, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  20. Bill Charlotte, NC

Whoooooopppppeeee!
    Maybe together they can finally defeat Obama by turning the DNC into a Hillaryland.
    What a croc!

August 19, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  21. dEMOBRAT

Write her in.....

August 19, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  22. KR

Hillary will surely defeat McCain but Obama has no chance at all.

BUT HE BEAT HER DIDN'T HE

If Obama should lose, C'est la vie.

YES, IT'S NOT REALLY ABOUT THE DIRECTION OF THE COUNTRY IS IT? IT'S MORE ABOUT WORSHIPPING THE CANDIDATE. HAVE WE LEARNED NOTHING? CLINTON & OBAMA'S POLICIES ARE IDENTICAL BUT YOU WOULD RATHER SEE BUSH'S THIRD TERM THAN ACCEPT THAT SHE LOST FAIR & SQUARE. HOW NOBLE OF YOU.

August 19, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  23. Jano1234

I totally agree with William and express my admiration for Gov. Rendell. Obama will loose because of his arrogance and lack of experience. Of course, all you people bad mouthing Rendell are so "hooked" on Obama, you will say anything. PUMA lives and I and my husband will be voting for McCain–the lesser of two evils.

August 19, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  24. Baxter, TX

OBAMA has no chance against McCain. You Dems better start supporting Clinton again.

August 19, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  25. ATLian

Obama is a bad choice. Superdelegates need to wake up and smell salt and vote for real candidate Hillary. Hillary will surely defeat McCain but Obama has no chance at all....

The Democrats can't win without the black vote and Hilary has killed any chance of getting that.

August 19, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |