August 19th, 2008

Rendell voting for Clinton

Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.
Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.

(CNN) – Perhaps Ed Rendell's name can be officially scrapped from the list of potential VPs.

The Pennsylvania governor and fervent Hillary Clinton backer said Monday he's planning to vote for the New York senator at the Democratic convention next week.

Rendell, who has been credited with helping to deliver his state to Clinton, told a Pennsylvania blog Monday that a vote for Clinton is not meant to show disunity.

"It honors the hard work of so many people who supported Sen. Clinton," he told PolitickerPA. "Many of the Pennsylvania delegates worked their heart out for Sen. Clinton, and they're excited to cast a vote for her. From my vantage point, that will be closure for them."

"Early on, I said I would cast my ballot for Sen. Clinton," he also said. "I'm going to cast my ballot for her, and then the moment I cast my vote, I'm going to continue to enthusiastically support Sen. Obama. It's going to be a good release for all of us."

Rendell has long said he would make a bad running mate, noting in an interview, "If I'm asked a question, I answer it and I tell the truth,” he said last February. "That probably isn't a good idea for someone who is the No. 2 on the ticket."

1. Diane

It seems like HRC's fans do not care a rat's a... about the party, it's only about her. Wake up people, this is why she did not, and I repeat, did not win the primaries. I am a registered Republican who is definitely going to vote for Sen. Barack. Try as I may, I can not find one single thing that would encourage me to vote for Sen. McCain. He is boring, boring and will say anything to pander to a crowd. Case in point - Saddlebook forums. He wasn't answering the questions with his heart (with the exception of the POW stories), he was answering them as he felt the crowd (definitely pro-McCain) wanted to hear. So much for fair and balanced. I watch Fox news every day, morning and evening and find their "fair and balanced" to be eschewed in their belief. Of course, dems watch their show, everyone should BE INFORMED AND BE ABLE TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SPIN AND TRUTH. Go Barack, bring this nation to be as one again!

August 19, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  2. Chris

Doesn't anyone realize that the president has already been (s)elected by the real voters... corporate interests?? This system is so corrupt, it's scary.

August 19, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  3. mr.g

to aware you are seriously the weakest and dumbest link.

August 19, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  4. Larry, Apex, North Carolina

Why do Democrats always want to shoot themselves in the foot? Obama is a WINNER, and suporting the (legitimate) loser Clinton only causes dis-unity and plays into the hands of the Republicans.

August 19, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  5. Rosa, b'ham al

What a jerk. I guess he would prefer four more years of McSame. He is probably well enough off to handle it but please give the rest of us a break. If Obama loses, there is no way Clinton will ever win the next primary and she will never be president. I'm sick of these childish games when there is so much at stake. ...and I voted for her in the primary!

August 19, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  6. DJ

Well, they decided to put her name out there. They must have known this would happen. I scratched my head when I heard it was "to build unity." Not sure how giving people a chance to swim against the tide is a way to build unity.

As for her debt, I wouldn't give a dime to retire her debt. I hope she's trying to raise money 10 years from now to pay of this arrogant, poorly run, vanity project she called a campaign.

August 19, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  7. Turnabout is Fair Play

aware August 18th, 2008 11:54 pm ET

If the Democrats want to win they will vote for Hillary Clinton 08. Obama is a loser!

aware August 18th, 2008 11:55 pm ET

OBAMA IS A LOSER!

--------------------------------
    Do you have ANY idea how brainless and juvenile you sound? You MUST be 13 and just stupid beyond comprehension. Go back to grade school and actually DO something to earn your next grade level. If Obama's a loser and he still beat Hillary, what does that make her?

August 19, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  8. mcm

Man you democrats are going to lose another one with thinking like this. Such a shame!

August 19, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  9. wycliffe, NJ

Ed, I will remember this in future when it comes to your re-election

August 19, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  10. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

I think it's good that he's supporting her. He should. And so should all her other delegates. She'll fall short in the vote and then they can all get behind Obama. It's no secret that she won so many delegates so lets show it loud and clear how invested all Democrats have been. It's not going to change any of the PUMAs minds but for those that worked hard for Clinton, they should be able to show their support.

August 19, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  11. Wydok

Fast Eddy strikes again

August 19, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  12. Cindy

It's a vote people – there has to be at least two sides for it to be one. We all know that Obama is going to win at the convention. This may be Rendell's last chance to have a choice he feels is easy to make even if he says it's based on that ever elusive trait of loyalty! I am looking forward to November when its my turn to chose!

August 19, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  13. Ernie, WI

Didn't Senator Clinton win PA? Seems to me Gov Rendell should be voting for Hillary. Perhaps the Democratic Party should start practicing some democracy...

August 19, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  14. Ann

Hilary needs to be on the ticket. Obama would be a fool he is did not choose her for VP.

August 19, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  15. Marcus Allen

I would HOPE that delegates REPRESENT their State and vote the way that their State voted. Otherwise, what's the point of sending representatives? At least on the first ballot you SHOULD vote the way that you were sent there to do. If there is not a winner THEN you can debate and come to a consensus.

If everyone is not true to their constituents, then the whole thing is a sham.

August 19, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  16. peace in the future

I like Barack obama and will vote for him but he should have seen this coming. when almost half of the voters picked another candidate – even when they knew Barack had won – then he needed to acknowledge that. Instead he and his supporters have looked everywhere but to that half of HIS party for support - they want new voters, they want independents - they don't want old time democrats and they made that clear in every TV appearance and blog. What did he and his supporters think these people would do at the convention? He should have been reaching out instead of hiring the woman Hillary fired - the one who rented office space till next April at $100,000 a month. I hope he wins the election and I hope he is a better peace maker in the future than he has been up till now. This first challenge has not gone well.

August 19, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  17. richard - Minneapolis

Party unity, my tush!! I am reminded of the slogan you see around that says you cannot simultaneously vote for peace and support war. If Ed Rendell is for party unity, he cannot vote for the "other" candidate! This is political BS!

August 19, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  18. Joseph

Loyalty to a person without a chance in the world to win is called hypocrisy. The good old gang of the Democratic party is going out without style because they never had any. The new Democratic party will be better without the likes of Rendell and his semblance of appearance to John McCain.

August 19, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  19. KC

Another independent thinker... that has been paid off by the Clintons.

HClinton will be the democratic presidential candidate

August 19, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  20. Joe in StL

Rendell voting for Clinton IN THE FIRST ROUND.

So will alot of other delegates (super and otherwise). Then, Obama will win the first round of voting, and ALL of the delegates will vote for him in the second round. This is entirely scripted, and, democratically, matches the results of the primary election.

Stop the DRAMA.

August 19, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  21. LS

Also, all you Hillary supporters (possible Republicans in disguise) who are upset or are acting upset about Hillary losing, quit being so selfish – it's not healthy for you.

I have two young boys whom I fear their future because of the risk of World War III, future drafts (even though I will not allow this to happen and will do whatever it takes to make sure that it doesn't), the environment, and the continuing economic downfall. And I would never make decision to place my kids, or any kids, future in jeopardy.

I see what I see, and McCain is dangerous. There is just something about him that is not right, not right at all. He actually makes me feel ill when I focus on him for too long, which tells me there's something not good about him.

If Hillary would have won, I know Hillary wouldn't jeopardize our children's future, and I would be supporting Hillary, but it was not meant for her to run for President at this time. Hopefully, her day will come and I will have a chance to support her then, but for now, I'm going to think about what's at stake for the kidoes.

August 19, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  22. Peggy

I just heard from my family in Penn. They are planning to vote against Rendell in his next election. Talk about encouraging unity in the party!

A disgrace!

August 19, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  23. mr.g

will you idiots please get over it SHE FREAKIN LOST!!! MOVE ON or are you just to ignorant to accept change and a different way of doing thing the old guard is OVER

August 19, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  24. Marie

No surprise. They are finished politicians that greatly benefited primary from corruption. The problems of the near future is just to great to have politicians playing childrens games and insulting the intelligence of the Progressives amongst us. We need new type leaders to lead for the sake of the country. Not for the sake of entitlement.

August 19, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  25. psv

Yep, that's right, HRC would definitely do better than Obama in the election. Yes, let's vote for a person who squandered half of a BILLION dollars in a campaign that unofficially started in 2004 to a freshman senator with almost no name recognition until late 2007. Let's vote for HRC, who can't take responsibility for her own incompetence in losing the primaries, and instead scapegoats it as 'sexism'. For HRC supporters, even GEORGE BUSH ran a better campaign – TWICE! than she did. "Incompetence in '08 – eight years wasn't enough!"

August 19, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |