August 19th, 2008

Rendell voting for Clinton

Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.
Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.

(CNN) – Perhaps Ed Rendell's name can be officially scrapped from the list of potential VPs.

The Pennsylvania governor and fervent Hillary Clinton backer said Monday he's planning to vote for the New York senator at the Democratic convention next week.

Rendell, who has been credited with helping to deliver his state to Clinton, told a Pennsylvania blog Monday that a vote for Clinton is not meant to show disunity.

"It honors the hard work of so many people who supported Sen. Clinton," he told PolitickerPA. "Many of the Pennsylvania delegates worked their heart out for Sen. Clinton, and they're excited to cast a vote for her. From my vantage point, that will be closure for them."

"Early on, I said I would cast my ballot for Sen. Clinton," he also said. "I'm going to cast my ballot for her, and then the moment I cast my vote, I'm going to continue to enthusiastically support Sen. Obama. It's going to be a good release for all of us."

Rendell has long said he would make a bad running mate, noting in an interview, "If I'm asked a question, I answer it and I tell the truth,” he said last February. "That probably isn't a good idea for someone who is the No. 2 on the ticket."

1. Cathy R., Philadelphia, PA

Thank God, I did NOT vote for Rendell for Mayor and did NOT vote for him for Governor.

I don't believe he can run for Governor again - his eight years are up - however, it does not matter, because I will never, ever vote for him again and will work tirelessly against him if he runs for anything here in Philadelphia.

I guess he's waiting for 2012.

Wait on Fast Eddie

August 19, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  2. Charlotte

The other post was closed, I have donated to retire Hillarys debt. One of the posters ask if Obama had paid anyone elses debt? He paid off Richardsons and bought his support, why not Hillary? He wants her support does he not?

August 19, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  3. Brian, NJ

You Democrats really know how to screw things up don't you. This election is being handed to you, an African-American is most likely going to be President, a truly historic moment many of us thought we would never see in our lifetimes. And you all are going to screw it up for some spoiled brat named Hillary. Why should I vote for any of you to run this country when you can't get your own act together.

August 19, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  4. rlp-politcal

white folks get over it....

she lost – are you surprise about rendell

the loser is clinton – because she lost

August 19, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  5. Nick

Dan-
    "Ed Rendell sure knows how to pick a loser. Never has it happened in American politics where someone drops out of a difficult race, to get elected as a party's nominee. It doesn't happen… we like winners."

This comment is incoherent. What are you trying to say?

August 19, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  6. william

You Hillraisers have you ever though what would happen if the shoe was on the other foot. If Clinton was the nominee, do you think Obama supporters would act you all. I think not. We would honor the process and throw our support to Clinton. What you all are doing is suicide. If Obama wins, Clinton supporters will not have any jobs at the Whitehouse, not even garbage removers. Go ahead, make our day!

August 19, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  7. Anonymous

Go CNN! Keep trying to push the disunity meme. Should make for great ratings next week.

There was a time when news organizations actually cared about reporting news, and ratings considerations were secondary. Seriously. I'm not making this up.

August 19, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  8. FOLLOW THE LEADER

The real leader is Clinton.
    Open your eyes America, this election is in OUR hands.
    Even if Obama Hussain is handed the nomination, a write in vote for Clinton overturns what the blind have done.

August 19, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  9. Lee

Why is this news? Has anyone else noticed that this network manages to headline Clinton at least 2 or three times a day? What is the obsession with Hillary Clinton? She lost, get over it already! Now I see why they call this the Clinton News Network.

August 19, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  10. Anthony

At the beginning of all this I was a Hillary supporter. Somewhere along the line i switched my allegiance to Obama as it was clear he would suit my tastes a bit better than Clinton.

I'm also a Pennsylvanian who supported Rendell for governor.

They've both left a bad taste in my mouth after all this. And they STILL can't just get behind Obama without opening their stupid mouths about Hillary coming in 2nd. Who cares about 2nd? Why enter her name in the nomination? It won't make her run any more or less memorable... I bet she's still hoping for a Robert Kennedy scenario...

Bill Clinton? Lost lots of respect for him.

Here's hoping for Biden.

August 19, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  11. S Callahan

I think it is an absolute shame that Clinton , yes Clinton, has allowed this to drag on. She has shown her stipes as a sore loser and has dragged who ever she could for her cause to complain. This infueriates me because it shows a lack of respect for our citizens and for our political process. She alone has the power to stop this nonesense and needs to do what is right. She pays a great price for failing to do so.

August 19, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  12. Dean in Florida

HRC is ready to lead...from day one. Obama needs about ten more years of seasoning.

August 19, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  13. Hussein and proud of it, FL

When all of you Hillary supporters, who have decided that it is better to cut your nose off and spite your face by not voting for Obama, help get McCain elected...please do not come later on and shed in crocodile tears about the gas or your lots in life. I will hear none of it. If you vote for McCain then you deserve everything you get. It would be wise to pick up a book or a paper or do some research, instead of voting against the black man that supports nearly every issue your failed candidate stood for. You are a bunch of sore losers, unlike any I have ever met before. It is confirmed, Obama spoke the truth, when he said that you were bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter. Now add poorer and dumber to that group.

August 19, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  14. ex democrat

Its incredible to think that the democrats are blowing another presidential election. Mcain by a nose, believe me.

August 19, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  15. Steve

Stick to your convictions Ed!

August 19, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  16. Anonymous

I just want everyone to know, I also am mired in debt and am seeking cash.

Thank you.

August 19, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  17. SDunn

Hillary wouldn't be able to beat McCain and I don't know why you all keep peddling that ridiculous mistruth. McCain and the Republican machine would've pulled out everything regarding Hillary and Bill. Remember none of that stuff came out during the primaries. Obama was very gracious and is still being very gracious towards Hillary after all the stunts she pulled in the primary. It's time to move forward and elect Obama as President of the United States.

August 19, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  18. Wanda, elgin, texas

I KNOW IT'S HURT FEELINGS FOR THE CLINTON'S, BUT CAN ANY SMART PERSON OUT THERE TELL ME WHAT DID SENATOR BARACK OBAMA DO TO THE CLINTON'S OTHER THAN WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PRESIDENT OF UNITED STATES BARACK OBAMA 08

August 19, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  19. LET IT GO

This is a disgrace, They are doing everything in they power to have Hillary run again in 2012. If Obama loses this nomination because of sore grapes Hillary won't win in 2012 you can take that to the bank.

August 19, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  20. Jos/TN

sore losers, it is shameful, it is close to what happpened in Zimbawe

August 19, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  21. dave in RI

to aware, Think to yourself why the rebugs wanted Hillary to win, answer it would bruing out and motivate their base and they would win. Half of the democrats would not vote for her, she is too polarizing. Look outside of your blind loyalty to see what Obama is really about. Is he perfect? No he is not, but he is better than McCain. Visit his website and start speaking intelligently with items outside of what Clinton and her camp told you. Take off the blinders, I know your are more intelligent than to follow blindly, without question.

August 19, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  22. David

Clinton has her surrogates doing her dirty work. She is a bitter, white woman and must be stopped.

August 19, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  23. SHARON-MN

U-N-I-T-Y! Regardless, Obama will be this country's choice, now and in November. I applaud the Clinton fans but after her role call at the convention...it is time to unify if you are a true and just democrat.

August 19, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  24. Bob Alade

Rendell is a loser. Hillary supporters need to support Obama for the sake of the country. Obama will be the next president not Hillary Clinton. Clinton era is over.

August 19, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  25. Nina

So he's going to cast a "feel-good" vote for Clinton to make her feel better? This is the kind of stuff that makes me ashamed to be a woman. She plays right into the stereotype of women that need to be coddled. Man up, and move on Hilary!

August 19, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |