August 19th, 2008

Rendell voting for Clinton

Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.
Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.

(CNN) – Perhaps Ed Rendell's name can be officially scrapped from the list of potential VPs.

The Pennsylvania governor and fervent Hillary Clinton backer said Monday he's planning to vote for the New York senator at the Democratic convention next week.

Rendell, who has been credited with helping to deliver his state to Clinton, told a Pennsylvania blog Monday that a vote for Clinton is not meant to show disunity.

"It honors the hard work of so many people who supported Sen. Clinton," he told PolitickerPA. "Many of the Pennsylvania delegates worked their heart out for Sen. Clinton, and they're excited to cast a vote for her. From my vantage point, that will be closure for them."

"Early on, I said I would cast my ballot for Sen. Clinton," he also said. "I'm going to cast my ballot for her, and then the moment I cast my vote, I'm going to continue to enthusiastically support Sen. Obama. It's going to be a good release for all of us."

Rendell has long said he would make a bad running mate, noting in an interview, "If I'm asked a question, I answer it and I tell the truth,” he said last February. "That probably isn't a good idea for someone who is the No. 2 on the ticket."

1. andrea

I LIKE ED !!!

August 19, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  2. Kansas for Obama

I will be laughing loudly when the reality hits the fan on all these HIllary whiners & sore losers.

They'll realize that a good portion of the 18 million that they thought were Billary supporters when they were Rush Limbaugh minons doing their best to sink the party.

GET OVER IT, GROW UP AND SUPPORT YOUR PARTY'S NOMINEE!!!

Obama and Clinton were almost identicle twins on 90% of the issues, so what's your problem other than acting like 5 year olds and not accepting your legitimate loss like adults?

Obama won HIllary lost - move on!

August 19, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  3. Charles Douglas Lemay

Every single time I see or hear Hillary Clinton, I feel like a snake
    has just crawled across my foot.

August 19, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  4. rishi

Obama is dangerous for the country. Wake up America, choose NOBAMA. Go Hillary or McCain. Experience and wisdom only can guide you through this mess. For a guy to have "57" states in his own country, shows how big a dufus he is.

August 19, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  5. JB

My 3 year old child doesn't whine, cry, and moan as much as these immature adults.

Go ahead, vote for McCain, we don't care and don't need your votes.

Obama 08

August 19, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  6. Kevin in PA

I love how PUMAs on this comment board are running around calling Obama a loser & that people should still vote for HRC. Wasn't anybody paying attention to the primary? I'm pretty sure Obama was, in fact, the winner.

Please, wake up people. Come back to reality. Obama is the party's nominee. Let's start focusing our energy on defeating McCain to win the general. There are too many problems facing America to still be fighting amongst ourselves.

August 19, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  7. Lady

=======people of PA,

====================use your brian next time selecting a governer plz==============

August 19, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  8. Terry from VA

This is so sad. All this time they have been calling for unity and respect. They whine that Obama supporters are not paying off their debt ( and why should they?). They talk about winning in November. This election was over in February when HRC lost 11 in a row. Why do they wish to lose another election. I though this was a about loyalty to the Country and the Party and the principles they stand for and not loyalty to a person.

This is all starting to sound like Monica Goodling's profession of loyalty to W. Which is exactly why we do not need their kind in office any longer.

The best interest of the United States should come first.

August 19, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  9. bob

to william: loyalty cause dictatorships

and everyone else: if obama is a loser, how come he won against clinton?

August 19, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  10. Cindy

Again here we go...It saddens me that all you Clinton supporters with the attitude of Clinton or else are not thinking of the big picture. No Clinton will not win and by voting for her you are handing the presidency into the hands of McCain. Do you have any idea what your bitterness is going to do to the democratic party not to mention this country? We will have more wars, a worsening economy and the rights of women will take a big turn backwards. Before you let this all happen think of everything we as americans will loose if we don't vote for Obama (democrat). Maybe he isn't your number one choice, but again I say, every write in for Clinton is a vote for McCain,,,,,Please don't say you don't care, because in a year or two, you will.

August 19, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  11. Stan

The Media generated Obama-Hillary soap opera was lame 8 months ago – now it's just pathetic.

Obama is the nominee, the economy is tanked, gas prices are sky high, people can't afford healthcare, and oh yeah, there's still 2 wars going on you never talk about.

Get a life CNN.

August 19, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  12. DR. Stoner

Gov .Rendell, is no different than me, I'm voting for Clinton as a write in. I think, No I know both McCain and Obama are the worst candidates neither one is the total package on their own. McCain is one dementional ( the surge), and Obama is just the cool black dude with little to no EXPERIENCE, thats why they both have to get a VP that gives them appeal and some other experienced background.

Hillary though not perfect was and is the better choice....:-)

August 19, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  13. Molly

Gee. Have we learned nothing? During the primaries, Hillary was seen as less than trustworthy... understatement. Is she trying to backdoor this thing? What a joke. And the reason she has so much debt that her supporters can't retire? Her prime demographic were poor, white and uneducated. This translates into having no money. Anyone who thinks Hillary Clinton has any chance of uniting the party let alone the country is seriously delusional.

August 19, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  14. Otogenarian

Face it all you Obama haters, Hillary fought a good fight, but she lost! Sometimes negativity can backfire. Even if she runs in2012, she won't win my vote. She has truly proven that she can't, won't be a loser. She is still playing dirty and so are her cronies. She must be holding something over Rendell. If all these people who are Hillary's supporters, then why haven't they paid down her debt? Winners take all and Obama will and have conquered all the smear tactics

August 19, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  15. Roofin Reality, Houston, Tx.

William, from 11:56
    I think the Obama folks are showing much loyalty to the party. And quite frankly are bending over to accomodate Senator Clinton.
    I hear all the time about how his people slammed her people BUT WITHOUT SPECIFICS.
    Look, there will be one of two people in teh White House come January 20, 2009. Either Senator Obama or Senator McCain. No one else.
    The sooner you come to realization the better able you are to cast a vote which serves your platform (which by the way, Obama and Clinton people wrote the Dem platform so I'm thinking it would be Obama who best champions your positions).
    If you want to vote against yourself by writing in Hillary, well, you're voting against yourself. While you'll feel good for the moment, perhaps even the day, the rest of us will feel the severe pain of a McCain presidency. You will too. But you'll blame it on the rest of us for NOT voting for someone who isn't on the ballot while the millions of us who are trying to get the same policies she champions votes for the one guy on the ballot who was trying to get what she wanted.

August 19, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  16. Nick

LET IT GO RENDELL, LET IT GO! TIME TO MOVE ON

August 19, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  17. Mims

ed should help her with her debt since he's such a big supporter..

August 19, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  18. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Hillary is going to get the roll-call vote. Rendell was committed to her and is going to vote for her. What's the problem?

Either Hillary or Obama will beat McBush because the country is fed up with the GOP.

I believe Hillary was the best candidate given her experience during Bill Clinton's terms. She is the only one with experience at the Executive level of government because he's the only one of the three who's been there.

However, Obama has emerged as the presumptive candidate, and I will now be supporting him. It's nicce that Hillary is getting the roll-call vote, now she has to face the fact that she has been beaten and pull ranks. If her supporters pull the "I'm going to take my bat and go home" mindset, then you are voting for McBush. If they do that and it is proven to be a significant facot in helping McCain win, then I suggest they examine the ramifications of their egos and ask themselves if they are Democrats or political opportunists?

August 19, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  19. Tim in NC

it makes sense,

His priority is his state, which is where it should be. National polls don't mean anything to him as far as his reelection chances are concerned. He'd be taking a big risk in NOT back a state that was as pro-Hillary as Penn. was.

August 19, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  20. DiAnne

Can we say unity or do we say Just Us. (justice)

We need a people president, one that can touch the people.

They talked about Jesus in a very bad way also.

Stop Hating Hater's......

August 19, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  21. jeffrey

The clinton have rich friends. Why they dont pay her debt.
    OB should not give HRC the VP. He rather lose the election than win it with the Clinton on his back. Let the REP wins and take us to another war and misery. I hope all the clinton backers will shut up than.

Jeffrey

August 19, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  22. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Can't wait for the chaos in the Democratic Convention. Hope it makes 1968 look like a love fest.

August 19, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  23. Universal Citizen

There is one major difference between Democrats and Republicans -

Republicans are always united even as they drag the drag the country underground.

Democrats are always divided even when the have good ideas to ressurrect the country.

United, Republicans ruin the country.

Divided, Democrats miss a glorious opportunity to revive the country and restore its credibility.

Either way, America loses. It's just sad.

God Bless America.

August 19, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  24. Michael

If Hillary's supporters believe so much in their canidate why won't they donate to reduce her debt? These losers are all talk and no action. Clinton lost what was a slam dunk and ran a terrible campaign. But of course this is America where nobody takes responsability for their failings. She blames everyone but just needs to look in the mirror at that old, wrinkled face to see why she lost.

August 19, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  25. Lynn in NM

And this changes my life...how???

August 19, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |