August 19th, 2008

Rendell voting for Clinton

Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.
Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.

(CNN) – Perhaps Ed Rendell's name can be officially scrapped from the list of potential VPs.

The Pennsylvania governor and fervent Hillary Clinton backer said Monday he's planning to vote for the New York senator at the Democratic convention next week.

Rendell, who has been credited with helping to deliver his state to Clinton, told a Pennsylvania blog Monday that a vote for Clinton is not meant to show disunity.

"It honors the hard work of so many people who supported Sen. Clinton," he told PolitickerPA. "Many of the Pennsylvania delegates worked their heart out for Sen. Clinton, and they're excited to cast a vote for her. From my vantage point, that will be closure for them."

"Early on, I said I would cast my ballot for Sen. Clinton," he also said. "I'm going to cast my ballot for her, and then the moment I cast my vote, I'm going to continue to enthusiastically support Sen. Obama. It's going to be a good release for all of us."

Rendell has long said he would make a bad running mate, noting in an interview, "If I'm asked a question, I answer it and I tell the truth,” he said last February. "That probably isn't a good idea for someone who is the No. 2 on the ticket."

1. Michaelene

All of the candidates names should be in a role call. That is how the democratic process has worked for hundreds of years.
    Delegates must vote according to the VOTE of the constituents.
    Any delegate like Kennedy who votes against the will of his or her people will be voted out of office by the true democrats.

I will not vote for Obama. By selecting Obama at the RBC compromise in MI, the DNC lost my help and my vote. Many democrats that are running for seats in Nov. have received no help from their party if they supported Obama.
    He caused his own troubles and his shady past and friends are the reason for his downfall.
    If he had some experience to counter all the poor judgement, he may have had a chance to get my vote.
    But he has done NADA!

Thank you Rendell for casting your vote according to the election.
    Don't join the Obama train!

August 19, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  2. wayne

Rendell could still be a VP running mate.....IF HILLARY GETS THE NOMINATION.....Hmmmmmm...

August 19, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  3. Bulldog

That's fine, Rendell was a staunch Clinton supporter. He is in their pockets. As for these so called "Clinton supporters" we have a bunch of Republican impersonators here trying to make people believe there are more Clinton supporters than their really are. How many of those 18 million voters were Republicans voting for Clinton to keep the primaries going longer as a strategy. Rush Limbaugh was a big proponent of having Republicans vote for Hillary and he has one of the largest audiences on radio. Hillary may have had 18 million votes but a good chunk of that were not true supporters they were Republican impersonators and infultrators making a mockery of the the election just they are continuing today.

August 19, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  4. sophy

god, what is with all the sore losing, crying and purging and release and catharsis? the dnc convention seems to be more of an exorcism!!!

August 19, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  5. Mark VA

Obviously Bob Stephens is a moron. Oh, I sorry. I made a comment about something I do not know about, just like Bob...

August 19, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  6. nannie bouroughs, Kenosha, WI

Democrats have almost always picked losers; with Obama they have simply done it again...

HILLARY all the way!

August 19, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  7. joey

ill just be happy to have a democrat in the office

August 19, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  8. Allen from NY

A combined total of 36 million voters supported Obama and Clinton. Of the 36 million, 8 million women voted against Clinton. Her perceived strengths to an Obama ticket are vastly over estimated due in large part to her sadistic supporters and some in the MSM. A Obama-Clinton ticket is a sure loser in the fall.

August 19, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  9. ainnj

Good. Gov. Rendell shows not only loyalty but plain old common sense. Sen. Clinton is the only democratic candidate that can take back the White House in November. Let's hope many other superdelegates act accordingly.

August 19, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  10. Demola

Isn't it funny... God already knows who will be president. Please don't stress yourself over who will be president. Will Obama or MCcain being president add a single dollar to your pocket?

You better get real and focus on how you will survive. Become a better leader in your home, love your family and stop worring over who will be president.

August 19, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  11. Anita

I cannot believe what I am reading. First, you people blame Obama for not helping Clinton pay off her debt. She should have dropped out of the race weeks before she did. She did more harm than good by staying in the race and it should also be noted that her mismanagement of her campaign is the reason she still has this debt. Yet with all that said you can't let it go. She lost, how many times does that have to be said until it sinks in. I have never seen a bunch of losers in my life. I am a lifelong democrat but this takes the cake. You would rather see John McCain win than Obama. You need a psychiatrist.

August 19, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  12. MaryJo Bruce Surprise, Ariz

Hillary might just get in there. Putting her name in at the last minute. Shes very popular and honestly knows so much more than Obama about all that intails in running a country. Go for it Hillary, go fo it... I wouldn't vote for you. But do it...

August 19, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  13. Morgan

Who is he kidding. Politics is not about loyalty and serving a constituency, it is about the next election. Or- about keeping the skeletons in your closet- in your closet.
    Let the old angry women have their Clinton Brohaha at the convention, but the party "faithful" (whatever that means) should know how important it is to be unified behind Obama. This tedious Clinton campaign is over. I was a Clinton supporter early on but now I am so absolutely sick of her self-absorbed and interminable campaign.

August 19, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  14. David S

This is what a real democracy is. Delegates standing up for their constituencies! This race has totally turned me off to Obama and the Democratic Party.

August 19, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  15. yvonne

Since he see that there is no chance of him becoming the vp, then you jump to the other side.

August 19, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  16. mary

I'm sorry, but I really don't see the point in this. I never supported Clinton, so I guess I don't understand this notion of how this would acknowledge how hard people worked for her. I also have been wondering about her avid support, since if half of her voters (not necessarily supporters) put up $1.50 or so her debt would be paid off. How strong was/is her support really?

August 19, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  17. Erma

I will be sooo glad once this is over with !!!

August 19, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  18. Tom in New Hope, MN

If Hillary has so many supporters why can't she retire her debt? It is because Republican's crossed over to get her the nomination. They knew McCain would have an easier time with her, because of her BAGGAGE. All she has done is cause herself more baggage that she doesn't need. She grossly mismanaged her campaign and campaign funds, blatantly lied about being shot at (believe me you don't forget it if you are shot at)

I truly believe a woman's perspective as president would be good. Hillary is not the right woman. I don't want to relive the past Clinton antics for the next 8 years. This country needs to move dramatically forward.

Hillary and her supporters have to realize they LOST, it is OVER!

Hillary you need to find another way to soothe your ego.

August 19, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  19. Maurice

While I appreciate the emotion that comes with losing....she still lost, why can't these people just let it go!! Somebody had to win and somebody had to lose, for PUMAs out there – grow up, get a life and hope for the best in a few years, but all of this is just going to hand victory over to McCain, and I know NO ONE wants that.
    Once again, the democrats pull a loss from the jaws of victory.

August 19, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  20. Tara

"Obama is a loser!" Wow, you must be a very highly educated group. PUMA is for people who can't get a grip on reality. Senator Clinton had her shot at the Presidency, but obviously felt it should have been given to her. While she played games, Obama went out, raised finances, enough to pay for his campaign, and ultimately is going to win the nomination.

Just because you feel you are ENTITLED to something doesn't mean you don't have to work just as hard as the young, fresh, new comer to the scene. If only she would have worked a little bit harder....

OBAMA '08!

August 19, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  21. Oh Boy!!!???

Vegetarians for STEAK!!!!!!

sounds about as rational as a Dem voting for McPOW.

August 19, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  22. Anonymous

Very democratic of you all. You just can't accept that you lost the primary. Yes it was historic, but come on, you lost. Mr. Rendell ought to reconsider his vote. Vote for Clintion and say your for Obama? Run a better campaign next time instead of whining.

August 19, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  23. bob

Obama is loser and big fliper
    Beware of him!

August 19, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  24. Kevin

Clinton only won the popular vote when you count states where Obama wasn't on the ballot.

At one point she lost 10 states in a row.

She coudn't even win Iowa, which is 98% white.

After Bill left office, there were fewer Democrats in the house, senate, and in governorships.

Hillary used Karl Rove tactics to fight agianst Obama.

Hillary supporters won't even help her pay off her campaign debt.

The media bias claims are subjective. I don't think Hillary has to deal with what Obama has been put through:

He's had his life threatened.

When supporters go door knocking, they've had racist comments made, including an old lady who wanted Obama to hang from a tree.

There are non-stop anti-Obama editorials and stories in the media every single day.

These are all things we need to remind ourselves about.

August 19, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  25. Beth from Virginia

How can he think that a vote for Hillary is NOT a vote against party unity? Hey, I admire Mrs. Clinton very much but lets get our act together, people!

Obama '08!