August 19th, 2008

Rendell voting for Clinton

Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.
Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.

(CNN) – Perhaps Ed Rendell's name can be officially scrapped from the list of potential VPs.

The Pennsylvania governor and fervent Hillary Clinton backer said Monday he's planning to vote for the New York senator at the Democratic convention next week.

Rendell, who has been credited with helping to deliver his state to Clinton, told a Pennsylvania blog Monday that a vote for Clinton is not meant to show disunity.

"It honors the hard work of so many people who supported Sen. Clinton," he told PolitickerPA. "Many of the Pennsylvania delegates worked their heart out for Sen. Clinton, and they're excited to cast a vote for her. From my vantage point, that will be closure for them."

"Early on, I said I would cast my ballot for Sen. Clinton," he also said. "I'm going to cast my ballot for her, and then the moment I cast my vote, I'm going to continue to enthusiastically support Sen. Obama. It's going to be a good release for all of us."

Rendell has long said he would make a bad running mate, noting in an interview, "If I'm asked a question, I answer it and I tell the truth,” he said last February. "That probably isn't a good idea for someone who is the No. 2 on the ticket."

1. Debbie

I am so disappointed in how the Democratic primaries turned out. I am probably one of the few African American woman who does not support Sen. Barack Obama. I frankly do not feel that he is qualified. There is no history on this guy. If he wins the presidency, I am afraid we are going to have another Jimmy Carter era. ( I am not wasting my vote.) The media is taking up for him. I have never seen anything like it. I will see news articles on various websites about comments made against Obama and the articles defend Obama and crushes anyone who opposes him. Let him defend himself like everyone else.

I saw on one news commentary where two newsmen were just drueling over Obama. They were comparing him to Rev. Martin Luther King and Kennedy. Give me a break. He gives a good speech but what about the content? If he wins the presidency, he will not have earned it. The media is saying he is raising so much money, my question is if we are in a recession and people are losing their homes and with people in some parts of the country standing in food lines, how is he able to raise so much money and where is it coming from?

We are in perilous times and this is not the time to take a chance on a freshman senator from Illinois. Hillary Clinton worked her tail off while Obama was taking vacations. Hillary and Bill Clinton would be a 2 for 1. They were smart then and they are smart now. I can't understand why people have turned against Hillary and Bill ( or the media) I am for the 2 for 1 deal.

Signed,

Disgusted in Texas

August 18, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  2. Rave

She is desperate and still has hopes that a miracle would happen and she would win. Rendell is a JerK..no more words to define him.
    She can go and beg her 18 Million and she wont get a dime.
    OBAMA (2008 -16)

August 18, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  3. Obama supporter:White, 60 year old woman

...and then he is going to support Obama...isn't that the point of the rollca;ll...to recognize Clinton's run formally in the DNC history...only the media wants to keep this going or the few who would rather vote for a Bush third term so Clinton MAY have a chance in 2012...

August 18, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  4. DR. YES

traitor to the party.he owes clinton.that's all.

August 18, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  5. k6438

Rendell You are a MAN OF WORD

August 18, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  6. The Oracle

I never really liked Rendell anyway.........Fat boy!!!!!!!

August 18, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  7. Not This Time

What do you expect a stupid governor from a stupid state

August 18, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  8. Barbara

Hoping for a spot in 2016?

August 18, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  9. Barbara

At least you say you tell the truth – how can you support a liar like Ms Bosnia Fire?

August 18, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  10. What?

First let me get this out, I am voting for Obama. I must say that democrats like Ed Rendell will test your party loyalty. They have shown a GREAT amount of attention to a canidate that has LOSS and have made it so public with no SHAME. Get OVER it, SHE DIDN'T WINNNNNNNNNNNNN.

Question to those that think like Ed Rendell : I would love to know how LONG do you think Bill Clinton would have agreed for his losing nominee to dominated his win as our nominee and his camp demanding things that would have not been if he was the loser? What's so sad about this is I bet every democrat can't even remember his opponent democrat who loss in the primaries against him?

Obama

August 18, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  11. susie

Dean, Kennedy, Kerry and Pelosi did a disservice by dissing Hillary from the beginning. If I was a delegate, I too, would vote for Hillary. Hillary can win over McCain, something Obama can't do.

August 18, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  12. CM

At least he's honest, I can respect that.

Lets get that roll call over with and move on with the campaign to get Obama in the WH.

Hillary knows she won't be the nominee after all this time or she would have been campaigning.

August 18, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  13. Kris K in CA

We knew that all along. They are planning to tak eover the convention and Rendell will be her VP. Plan o it.

August 18, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  14. Miss something?

What a twerp!

This is the same guy that told Peter Paul to lie to protect Clinton...

Disgusting...

August 18, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  15. Bernie Moore-Knowles

Is this guy a prick or what?

Bernie Moore-Knowles
    Kea'au, Hawai'i

August 18, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  16. JB. Il.

Ed this shows that you are a man of your word unlike Richardson ( Judas ) Thanks for standing with her, Ill remember.

August 18, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  17. Jabloo

I hope that all these people know what they are doing, cause lots of people might turn away from Hillary if Barake loose. I hope that they are thinking hard, real hard.

August 18, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  18. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

I'm okay with this. I'm okay with everyone voting the way they were pledged to vote. It's not like it's a big secret that the race was close. The roll call should reflect the vote and then we can all move on to elcting Barack.

August 18, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  19. Puck

Oh, Ed – you're such a bloody genius.
    Well, in response to that, I'm going to
    shoot someone with a gun, and the
    moment I shoot them, I'm going to
    continue to advocate gun control.

Its going to be a good release for me.

August 18, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  20. Joe Kiloz

R E F R E S H I N G ---–T H A T 'S --–L E A D E R S H I P

August 18, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  21. GerryM

Laugh it up now, Hillary 'cause you are on your way to the Senate when Barack becomes president. Obama will be the next gen president that will put an end to eight years of the Bush/Cheney autocracy. You and your pals like to laugh it up at our expense but the last laugh will be on you.

August 18, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  22. Kevin,FL

Thank You Governor Rendell! I hope a lot follow, Do it like 1932!

August 18, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  23. Common Sense

PUMA. You Ed Rendell at least somebody still has some sense.

August 18, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  24. CARL PA

NOW I KNOW WHY THIS REPUBLICAN VOTED FOR RENDELL. GUESS I'LL HAVE TO VOTE REPUBLICAN THIS TIME.

August 18, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  25. election watcher

Goo for him! Hillary was shafted by the DNC. They just made matters worse by giving Obama Michigan delegates, though not a single vote was (or even could have been) cast for him.

August 18, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |