August 19th, 2008

Rendell voting for Clinton

Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.
Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.

(CNN) – Perhaps Ed Rendell's name can be officially scrapped from the list of potential VPs.

The Pennsylvania governor and fervent Hillary Clinton backer said Monday he's planning to vote for the New York senator at the Democratic convention next week.

Rendell, who has been credited with helping to deliver his state to Clinton, told a Pennsylvania blog Monday that a vote for Clinton is not meant to show disunity.

"It honors the hard work of so many people who supported Sen. Clinton," he told PolitickerPA. "Many of the Pennsylvania delegates worked their heart out for Sen. Clinton, and they're excited to cast a vote for her. From my vantage point, that will be closure for them."

"Early on, I said I would cast my ballot for Sen. Clinton," he also said. "I'm going to cast my ballot for her, and then the moment I cast my vote, I'm going to continue to enthusiastically support Sen. Obama. It's going to be a good release for all of us."

Rendell has long said he would make a bad running mate, noting in an interview, "If I'm asked a question, I answer it and I tell the truth,” he said last February. "That probably isn't a good idea for someone who is the No. 2 on the ticket."

1. Aaron in TW

You must all be on drugs! Obama won, and their positions on almost everything are virtually the same. The difference is the war. Way to play into republican hands. Fine if you like Clinton, but for the love of Christ unify for the country's sake. The country can't take four more years of republican rule.

August 19, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  2. Realistic

But will Ed give Hillary any money to reduce her debt?

Think about it people: We lost the opportunity to have a candidate who seriously mismanaged her campaign, who would now be fighting McSame by having to borrow even more money, and whose most loyal supporters would rather spend the quarter they found in the couch of their doublewide towards a pack of smokes than sending it to their most beloved candidate.

August 19, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  3. Dan

It just goes to show you when Obama talks about changing our politics – it will just happen on its own! It goes for both Repubs and Dems – no job is safe. Watch to see if Rendell has a job in the near future. We are going to see a bunch of new faces in charge of our country soon, revamping the status quo, ousting incumbents, and regaining control of our country without entrenched money interests. Experience=able to pull the wool over the eyes of the American people.

August 19, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  4. PA for Obama

Maybe Fast Eddie can put his money where his mouth is and help his loser candidate settle her debt. Now THAT would be showing support. One wonders if Democrats like Rendell would treat a white male candidate with the same disrespect he's shown Obama. I'm white, for the record.

August 19, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  5. Redneck from Kentucky

I'm sick of hearing about Hillary Clinton. She lost! Its time for her to get off the stage and out of the way for the candidate who won the primary. In the Olympics, we don't carry on about the Silver and Bronze medal winners. Obama won the Gold and Hillary needs to take her rightful place on the podium and let him have his.

August 19, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  6. Turnabout is Fair Play

William August 18th, 2008 11:56 pm ET

Good for you Ed, this is what loyalty is all about. The Obama supporters that constantly slam Clinton and her supporters would have us abandon our loyalty to her and pledge it to Obama, well this Clinton supporter won't do it. Come Nov. If Hillary is not Obama's choice for VP, I will cast my vote for her anyway, be she on the ballot or not. If Obama should lose, C'est la vie.
    --------------------------------
    You say we Obama supporters constantly slam Clinton but it's okay with you that Mr. aware up there can call him a loser and you don't expect us to retaliate? Come on now. It's not about "loyalty" to Hillary, she's not a Queen or something, wake up. My loyalty is to my COUNTRY and its needs first, not to an individual JUST BECAUSE SHE'S A WOMAN. You go ahead and cast your vote for her, you should know however, that if Obama loses this election, she WILL be thought of as being the cause due to her devisiveness and polarizing during the primaries and even now to some degree and she will NEVER have a chance in 2012. You need to think ahead more than one election at a time, "my friend".

August 19, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  7. Gubby Rao

WE Love RANDELL. Infact, I am a Hillary Supporter and I show my loyalty to Clintons with my vote to McCain.

Hillary 2012

August 19, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  8. Karina

Hillary is not a loser and neither is Obama. This is American elections at play. This is why the system is set up the way it is but nobody until now, has had the guts to exercise them. There is nothing wrong with Ed following his heart and casting his free vote his way anymore than Richardson doing the same for Obama. We live in a free country and our right to our vote is personal. Personally, I doubt that Obama will win without Hillary as VP because the polls are too close between McCain and Obama right now and without Hillary as VP, you can bet, most of her supporters are going for McCain. Obama will be solely responsible for losing his election and it will depend on his ability to realize what's in front of his nose. What Hillary brought into this election with the millions that came out to vote for her and many for the first time, is crucial to Obama now. Does he really think that the bucket full of people who voted for the other possible picks is going to help him win? He'd have to be pretty dumb to think that. No Hillary as VP, no Obama as president. I can bet my full tank of gas on that one!

August 19, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  9. maryann

This is what friendship and loyality is all about. This is what having a brain that is functioning properly is all about. The rest of the democratic party swooned over the chosen one and slapped Hillary Clinton is the face. Well the chosen one is not running away with it in the polls. Wonder why" Just watched him on Cnn this morning. Seemed a little crabby to me talking to the veterans. Is it because he has taken a hit in the news since his terrible night on Sat. with the Pastor. The democratic party is a joke.

August 19, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  10. Brooke

I hope a lot of other delegates vote for Hillary so we can put this whole Obama nightmare behind us.

August 19, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  11. Gerald

I really would love to see all you Hillary supporters faces when Obama DOES win the presidency and real progress and change happens with the diverse talent that he will have in his administration. Obama 08!!!!1

August 19, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  12. Former resident of PA

Do we really care what this man does or says? Look at the condition of most of the major cities in PA, most of them are near bankruptcy and they can't even provide quality jobs for the people in that state, that is why the younger generation is leaving the state and PA has one of the largest elderly population. Nothing is going to change any time soon for the state of Pennsylvania, especially if he continues to put his own self interest (his love the Clinton machine) before the good of the Democratic Party and his own state!

August 19, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  13. JB, Boston

And so it begins!

For anyone who lacks the psychic abilities I have, let me share some information.

HRC does not think this is over. That would explain the suspension of her cmpaign, the inability to wholeheartedly backing Obama, the less than receptive response from her husband.

They are going in to steal this thing, and this is just the beginning. Hillary and her sexual predator husband do not care fo this country or for anyone other than themselves.

THIS IS A STRAIGHT UP POWER GRAB. If she could, she would organize a coup. They are awful people, and someday, EVERYONE will be aware of that.

August 19, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  14. Josh

HELLO!!,

Clinton would of have retired her debt if all the PUMA noise was true. More proof it's just a republican smoke screen. Grow up.

August 19, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  15. alvin

Change is coming and Obama will win. If Clinton runs again before 2016 she will lose for sure. Dont forget its Obama`s support base that helped put Bill in the whitehouse. I dont think she will even make it past the primaries.

You PUMAs are a bunch of republicans trying to fool Clinton supporters.

August 19, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  16. Loyal to Country First

Loyalty to your country and to Democratic ideals trump loyalty to the has-been Clintons. They're finished politically

August 19, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  17. Bob in Rochester

What a moron.

Vote for the obvious loser her had to bail out, lost all her money, and can't grasp the reality that she didn't win. If I was a voter in PA, I would want this guy out in a hurry. I wonder what state will be "punished" when Obama becomes president? What state will be sent to the back of the line when it needs anything?

Its just politics. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. There is nothing to gain by voting for a shadow.

August 19, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  18. Jennifer Miller

good for him, I still do not understand the Obama supporters, how can try to elect to a man with no experience, the only ones is few years at the Senate and a community organizer, if you elect him, it will be disaster. Elect Hillary Clinton.

August 19, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  19. fella from Chicago

No Comcast rental movies during the four days of this Convention. This is going to be soooo different than past boring conventions. It's going to be very interesting how Gov. Rendell and the rest of Hillary's die hard supporters re-act after Hillary asks for a unanimous vote for Obama once her name has been put on the roll call ballot. As Arte Johnson would say....verrrrrry interesting.

August 19, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  20. Cindy

I think Hillary is a disgrace to real women everywhere.

I am a Black 56 year old female and I approve this message..........

August 19, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  21. energy

CNN: Look for quality news items!! Your heading is misleading, suggesting disunity that is no where reflected in Gov Rendell's statement. This is exactly how some of you unfairly analyzed the last meeting of the two candidates to favor Barack. Let's stay objective so that viewers and readers can lean and appreciate the process and its politics

August 19, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  22. Gary

If Hello wants John McCain as President, what about how he just dropped out of site after the 2000 race and then was let back in to "the fold" after he caved in to supporting Rove/Cheney/Bush and the rest of the croney's in DC?? Now he tries to say, he is separate from The "Bush way of thinking"??? Come on and smell the coffee!

August 19, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  23. welches, oregon

Hey Rendall, if you vote Clinton at the Convention, you can forget any re-election for yourself. Party Unity – right!

As for you PUMA's voting for McCain – the ONLY reason you can't bring yourself to vote for Obama is because you are RACIST – admit it.

Obama 'till 2016

August 19, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  24. What?

Clinton supporters looking and sounding good, now put your money where your (mouth) commit is. Send it to your Queen of last chance, she needs it..............you send $100 a week, by November she will be somewhat out of a DEBT you BEGGED her to continue to LOSS. She is waiting your money now.

You’re showing that those 18 million + voters were not the real voters supporting her as she thought, if they were her debt should have been paid in full by the end of JULY.

It amazes me how Hillary supporters think she is some type of last hope for a cure of this mess the republican party has caused us for the last eight years. But we know you are full of air because we know who is BEATING McCain, and his name is Obama, not Clinton. If he doesn't, it's because of those hater that call themselves Clinton supporters (republicans on a mission to pretend to be democrats), The only Clinton name in history as President will be BILL, we will dominate the blogs for the next four years supporting the other democrats that will be candidates running for the Commander and Chief........that's a PROMISE

She will continue to be a millionair for years to come and your LIFE will GO ON as it is.......

August 19, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  25. Bridgett Moralis

This type of division will ensure that McCain wins. If people prefer McCain over Obama then they should continue to support a candidate that doesn't have a chance of winning. Hilary lost the nomination but that doesn't mean she contribute to Obama's candidacy. BUT she doesn't have to be VP in order to help her countrymen. Should she give anything less then perhaps she was not chosen to lead this country rightfully so. The greater good, that’s what we all should strive for.

August 19, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |