August 19th, 2008

Rendell voting for Clinton

Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.
Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.

(CNN) – Perhaps Ed Rendell's name can be officially scrapped from the list of potential VPs.

The Pennsylvania governor and fervent Hillary Clinton backer said Monday he's planning to vote for the New York senator at the Democratic convention next week.

Rendell, who has been credited with helping to deliver his state to Clinton, told a Pennsylvania blog Monday that a vote for Clinton is not meant to show disunity.

"It honors the hard work of so many people who supported Sen. Clinton," he told PolitickerPA. "Many of the Pennsylvania delegates worked their heart out for Sen. Clinton, and they're excited to cast a vote for her. From my vantage point, that will be closure for them."

"Early on, I said I would cast my ballot for Sen. Clinton," he also said. "I'm going to cast my ballot for her, and then the moment I cast my vote, I'm going to continue to enthusiastically support Sen. Obama. It's going to be a good release for all of us."

Rendell has long said he would make a bad running mate, noting in an interview, "If I'm asked a question, I answer it and I tell the truth,” he said last February. "That probably isn't a good idea for someone who is the No. 2 on the ticket."

1. Sharonf rom Dumfries Virginia

So what, this is not news we can use. Please, this should be a celebration for the DNC and Barack Obama. Hillary Clinton, her family and friends need to get a life.

August 19, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  2. Letha, SD

It's nice to see a politician with some honor and hold to his word and pledge. As for the bitter, nasty, Obamanation groupies, suck lemmons just because you have been brainwashed with rhetoric does mean everyone has to play the silly game with you. I will vote my choice and who I think is the best person for the job and it is not the inexperienced person you praise and bow down to. Obama does not have the experience I want to see in office.

August 19, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  3. Debby

Hey JB Boston Obama hasn't won the Presidency yet and if he loses his political career is over. Hillary still has one come 2012. If Obama can't win now with all his donations, his rock star status, and the 75th. people he draws at rallies means people aren't ready for an empty suit who is JOE COOL.

August 19, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  4. Loyalty is important

I believe in loyalty. I admire Governor Rendell for his loyalty to Senator Clinton. If Obama had the same loyalty to his friends, maybe he would not throw people under the bus so fast like he has in the past.

August 19, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  5. PG

How many fundraisers has Rendell done for his flunky?

August 19, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  6. cr

Only the democrats can create this absurd debacle.
    Casting convention votes for the loser, paying the debt of the loser, speaking time for the loser, a catharsis for the loser – are you kidding me?

Way to go Rendell, you just delivered Pennsylvania – to the REPUBLICANS!

August 19, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  7. ANGIE

So why doesnt rendall help hillary with her debt???????????????

August 19, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  8. Xavierism

It's good to see that people are standing behind Hillary. BRAVO!!!!

August 19, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  9. greenfun

Thank you Ed-you are my hero!!!
    Richardson will forever remain a backstabbing traitor.

August 19, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  10. Peggy Lucas, Middletown, Pennsylvania

I am proud to have Ed Rendell as my Governor. He has the courage to do the right thing for our Country. I also agree with the Governor that Hillary is the stronger of the two candidates. There are still a lot of hurt feelings in the United States for what our party and the media did to Hillary. I certainly don't want a Republican for President; therefore, I will suck it up and vote for Obama. I can only hope that he selects Hillary as his #2.

August 19, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  11. Christina

This talk of "catharsis" and actions like Rendell voting for Hillary as a "release," just serve to keep open the wounds, not unify the party. The convention is now all about Hillary and Bill and their appeasement.

August 19, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  12. Omar

I don't see how a meaningless vote for Hillary would provide a feeling of catharsis for anybody. It's not going to have any real benefits for Hillary, and it can do nothing but hurt Obama's candidacy. Hillary lost the nomination because she supported the Iraq War from the beginning and would never apologize for her vote. That's her doing; it's a calculated political risk that she took and lost. It's over. Let's move on with our candidate, Barack Obama.

August 19, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  13. Christian

I have all but abandoned the DNC after nominating Barrack Obama who, if I could use his own words. "he doesn't have enough exp, auh um – I don’t think that he was a strong enough jurist or legal thinker at the time, for that elevation, setting aside the fact that I profoundly disagree with his interpretations of a lot of the constitution,”

August 19, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  14. Ed

This is called character and a backbone. Good for Ed. unlike people like Judas (bill richardson) he doesn't sell out.

August 19, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  15. RB

Hello!!!!

Boy it must really suck to have all of that bouncing around in your little brain. Maybe, you're just one of those republican idiots who think we are going to fall for your "puma/no deal" nonsense?? Not gonna happen. Go over to Fox and spend your time blogging about how great you think McBush is. Or, is that you have nothing good to say about McBush, so you bash Obama in hopes no one will notice??

McCain has old war stories that everyone loves to hear. But, that's about it. That's all there is to John McBush. No vision, no ideas, no solutions....just war stories. And, that's fine for a war hero. But POTUS material, he is not.... Sorry. Sometimes the truth hurts.

August 19, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  16. Tony

Holy crap, looks like the Democratic party has at least one member who isn't a complete backstabbing scumbag. The party could use more people like Ed Rendell if they wanted to get any respect from me, but it's hard to respect a party that stays in power by keeping the people they're supposedly helping down.

August 19, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  17. A. Little

Ed Rendell….. I respect him for sticking with his constituents, only in part due to his own hypocrisy. He is one of those all talk no action kind of guys...Backing Obama outwardly, but in his action, with his vote, completely contrary. A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways. Pennsylvania will realize and he will not be re-elected.

August 19, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  18. Thomas

Hillary for VP!

Hillary 2012

August 19, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  19. Jim Beam

Can't wait until this fringe is completely demoralized.

August 19, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  20. Anonymous

How can Obama fans still spew such vitriol. Obama will be the Democratic nominee, in spite of his inexperience and arrogance. McCain may be the Republican but Obama is the Bush-like candidate. Obama has even less experience than Bush had and is just as arrogant. Bush was so arrogant he believed he could invade Iraq and it would turn out exactly as he wanted it to, simply because that was what he wanted. Obama is so arrogant he believes all he has to do is make a few speeches and the voters will fall at his feet. So far the young voters have done just that and even now they continue their campaign of hatred, animosity, and vitriol. God help this country; neither of these candidates will be effective leaders.

August 19, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  21. Disguted

GO AHEAD HRC SUPPORTERS. WE SHALL RETURN THE FAVOUR.
    YOU ARE GRADUALLY RUINING HRC'S CAREER BY YOUR IRRATIONAL THINKING. HRC WILL NEED US OBAMA SUPPORTERS IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE WATCHING YOU MORONS
    CLOSELY BECAUSE AS IT IS HRC WONT GET ANY VOTE FROM US FOR ANYTHING, NEVER AND YOU RACIST HILLARY SUPPORTERS WILL BE TO BLAME.

August 19, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  22. Anonymous

August 19, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  23. PELOSI SUCKS

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 19, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  24. white female

LOL, LOL, You're so right if the Hillary supporters would just put their money where theor BIG MOUTHS is and give up just one dollar to help her out of her debt, we Obama supporters would respect them SOOOOO MUCH more as true DEM"S, so i say they must RUPUBS
    oBAMA 08/16

August 19, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  25. Sarah, Northern Colorado

I think this is quite honorable of Rendell. He's being loyal not only to HRC, but to his state's Democrats. They voted for Clinton, and by not supporting his state's wishes, he wouldn't be being for the people he represents.

That said, go Obama!!!!