August 19th, 2008

Rendell voting for Clinton

Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.
Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.

(CNN) – Perhaps Ed Rendell's name can be officially scrapped from the list of potential VPs.

The Pennsylvania governor and fervent Hillary Clinton backer said Monday he's planning to vote for the New York senator at the Democratic convention next week.

Rendell, who has been credited with helping to deliver his state to Clinton, told a Pennsylvania blog Monday that a vote for Clinton is not meant to show disunity.

"It honors the hard work of so many people who supported Sen. Clinton," he told PolitickerPA. "Many of the Pennsylvania delegates worked their heart out for Sen. Clinton, and they're excited to cast a vote for her. From my vantage point, that will be closure for them."

"Early on, I said I would cast my ballot for Sen. Clinton," he also said. "I'm going to cast my ballot for her, and then the moment I cast my vote, I'm going to continue to enthusiastically support Sen. Obama. It's going to be a good release for all of us."

Rendell has long said he would make a bad running mate, noting in an interview, "If I'm asked a question, I answer it and I tell the truth,” he said last February. "That probably isn't a good idea for someone who is the No. 2 on the ticket."

1. Terri

Big Suprise :) and this is breaking news how?

August 18, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  2. Voter

Obama is behaving ungraciously toward Hillary Clinton because he is not a gracious man.

He continues to raise obscene amounts of money for himself, and he ignores the situation faced by Clinton.

If we are to continue to have a choice of candidates after the dust settles on Obama and his arrogant crusade, winners MUST help losers with their debt. This is way beyond the personality issues of Obama and Clinton. It's about ensuring that people will run for office. It is ROUTINE, it is BUSINESS AS USUAL for winners to help the others with staggering debt.

Our system now requires outrageous amounts of cash, and good people will simply refuse to run for office if they can be wiped out financially in the event they lose.

Let this be a lesson to all who consider running for any level of government. The days of real choice for electorate are numbered, and Obama is singularly responsible.

A vote for Obama is a vote for Big Money Politics – a shame for a nation that prides itself when they say anyone can grow up to be president.

August 18, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  3. John Air Force Vet

Well that's vote that only helps Mc Bush. I hope he losing his next election as he is a traitor to his Party and own values IF he is a true Democrat.

August 18, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  4. Obama 08

Just another "good ole boy" being loyal to his race.

August 18, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  5. Billion

You are a ridiculous man who's lost in this deeply disturbed mind of yours. Get with the program and stop trying to create problems. What a loser.

August 18, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  6. McCain=the draft

No surprise.
    I am in PA, and Bill Clinton appointed Rendell's wife (a judge) to the U.S. Court of Appeals. All part of the Clinton machine.

August 18, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  7. Reality check #1

Horray for Rendall, one honest delegate amoung a bunch of crooks.

August 18, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  8. d-nice

Why do HRC continue to perpetuate a fraud.

August 18, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  9. maggie

Bravo, Mr. Rendell!! Finally... A politicician with testicular fortitude!

August 18, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  10. cas

Good for him! He is supporting the will of the people of his state and isn't that is what his role is as a delegate anyway! THANK YOU!!!

August 18, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  11. Adam

Thank you Ed, for being a real stand up guy and faithfully representing the will of your constituents. I'm proud to have you as the governor of my home state. Shame on others, like Kennedy, Richardson, and Kerry, for not voting the way their states went.

August 18, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  12. Obama For President

The man would not know "truth" if it smack him in the face. This is not surprising...this goes to show Rendell, Carville, and others would prefer disunity at the convention. Obama had no intention of picking Rendell for #2 that was clear after his comment about "America is not ready to elect a Black president" I will laugh come November when Obama is elected president, and all the hypocites will crawl back into their holes. THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES.............

August 18, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  13. Tom

Just another Clintonite living in the past. Let em have their moment in the spotlight at the convention and then let them ride off into the sunset with memories of yesteryear because as far as I am concerned Obama and his supporters played by the rules fair and square. I just think Clintonites still are in shock that their woman did not get the nomination. For those Clintonites that will vote for John McCain, well just tells me how uneducated these folks are when its been almost 2 months and still your pouting over the loss. Get over it because if you don't and we end up with this old school jerk, your going to wish you had a democrat in the white house. I used to be a Republican myself folks and the party never represented what was best for my interests. Obama is not perfect, but listening to him sure makes me more and more to want to go with his camp, than go with McCain's. For those that say that Obama is inexpierienced, well for those Clintonites, you half to remember back in the early 1990s when your man Bill was in his first term, he made mistakes along the way, well you half to remember something, were all human, Obama is very intelligeant and gifted I think and I think that he may not have all the answers and make mistakes along the way, you look at Bill Clinton or Ronald Reagan, or John F. Kennedy or any great leader, and mistakes are made, but eventually look at how all these leaders came out, stronger and better than ever.

August 18, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  14. MIKE J.

Hey ED,

STAND STRONG
    for CHANGE

OR

FALL HARD
    for the SAME!!!

Given your comment about whites in your state not supporting any black candidates, I doubt that you will be working hard to get OBAMA elected!!!

August 18, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  15. Baron

Good for Governor Rendell! I hope he starts a trend!

August 18, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  16. rodeodance

Good for you Guvner Rendell.

DO IT FOR THE LADY!!

I hope the OBAMABABIES don't riot and burn Philladelfia down.

August 18, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  17. Another MamaforObama

The Democrats will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. How can we mount good offense when our own would harm us first and we're wasting time and effort defending ourselves.

I will always appreciate the Clinton Administration for putting forth good, sound policies and for the benefit of Americans but I will never forgive them their selfishness now at our expense. We've got alot of work to do and we need everyone on board. Graciousness is priceless.

August 18, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  18. Sherry, Atlanta

NO SUPRISE!

August 18, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  19. paresident

The next time Rendell tells the truth will be the first time.

August 18, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  20. Matt, PA

Great Ed...me too. Even if I have to write her name in come November.

August 18, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  21. K, Florida

Thank you Governor Rendell. You make my home state proud!

August 18, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  22. carlo

I must agree with Rendell: He'd make an absolutely rotten running mate.

August 18, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  23. John

At some point you would think the Clinton's might consider doing something other than grandstanding, whatever happened to the gracious loser? Now we have the loser that won't go away, it's like a bad dream.

August 18, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  24. Oregon4Obama

Great......ok, she was put on the ballot to satisfy all those disenfranchised Hillary supporters by giving them a voice at the convention......but the plan is, maybe Rendell didn't get the memo, to rally behind the winner, Barack Obama

Hillary was beaten fairly....there was no sexism on Obama's part and no Racism on Hillary's part.......besides both of them shared 95% of the same ideas.......Unity is what we need, because McCain cant be president and Obama needs all the help he can get....

August 18, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  25. Barbara

At least you say you tell the truth – how can you support a liar like Ms Bosnia Sniper Fire?

August 18, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |