August 19th, 2008

Rendell voting for Clinton

Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.
Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.

(CNN) – Perhaps Ed Rendell's name can be officially scrapped from the list of potential VPs.

The Pennsylvania governor and fervent Hillary Clinton backer said Monday he's planning to vote for the New York senator at the Democratic convention next week.

Rendell, who has been credited with helping to deliver his state to Clinton, told a Pennsylvania blog Monday that a vote for Clinton is not meant to show disunity.

"It honors the hard work of so many people who supported Sen. Clinton," he told PolitickerPA. "Many of the Pennsylvania delegates worked their heart out for Sen. Clinton, and they're excited to cast a vote for her. From my vantage point, that will be closure for them."

"Early on, I said I would cast my ballot for Sen. Clinton," he also said. "I'm going to cast my ballot for her, and then the moment I cast my vote, I'm going to continue to enthusiastically support Sen. Obama. It's going to be a good release for all of us."

Rendell has long said he would make a bad running mate, noting in an interview, "If I'm asked a question, I answer it and I tell the truth,” he said last February. "That probably isn't a good idea for someone who is the No. 2 on the ticket."

1. Anonymous

Rendell is a jerk and a bigot and always will be. This is not a surprise

August 18, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  2. p. gordon from floriida

i would like to see the super del and others change their vote at the convention and vote for clinton. She is a fighter and would win the election. for myself i now will cast my vote for mcCain

August 18, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  3. Rittenhouse Square

OK Fast Eddie... I hope you don't need the votes of anybody that supports Obama...

It is not the right message for the Governor of PA, a state Obamwould like to win to do this.

Real dumb. Don't believe the hype that your state is ga-ga for Hillary.

August 18, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  4. VLuciano

Will someone please tell Rendell to show how much he loves and supports Hillary Clinton by asking all of her 18,000,000 supports to each give $1.00 to help her clear up her debt. They don't love her, love is an action word, they are simply trying to keep themselves in the spot light, and cause trouble at the convention.

August 18, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  5. Mitch

. . . and so should everyone else, if they're smart and want a democrat elected.

August 18, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  6. Art Dodger

Ed Rendell...there's a word for people like him. It starts with an A and ends with an E, and it's not artiste...AD

August 18, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  7. Informed Voter

And this is News how??? ...

isn't he a Clinton SD ... who do you expect him to cast his vote in the Convention

August 18, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  8. Joe

This man must be a Joke.
    He is for him self, they are many other ways of thanking Hillary
    for her services to humanity. But it should not be at the expenses of Obama. or Dc.
    -Who knows if he is from kkk district.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! other than that what else can I tell U.

August 18, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  9. Pat

Good for Governor Rendell! I'm peeved that Obama remains aloof and indifferent where the Clintons are concerned. He needs to be sent a message, and Rendell's vote for Clinton at the convention will be a reminder to Obama that the Clintons and their supporters matter.

August 18, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  10. BJ

ALL Hillary supporters should cast their votes... and wouldn't it be a surprise if she gets more delegates than Barack... what will they do then?

August 18, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  11. Go Hillary Go!!!

Good for Rendelll. He knows the true winner.

Even if Hillary isn't on the ballot, I will write her name in...as all supporters of her should do.

I don't dislike Obama, I just don't think he has the experience.

Go ahead, write remarks that I am an idiot or stupid for doing such.

As for a remark I had read earlier today on another article by someone calling themselves "Over the hill for Obama" or something similar:

You said Hillary would lose the black vote if she got the nomination. Sure, around 90% of the black vote was for Obama. I have to ask why that is. Whites are accused of being prejudiced when they favor whites. So, what is the difference here?

Hillary '08 and '12

August 18, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  12. Scott Alexander

Yeah, this is the governor of a state that had its residents interviewed saying "I won't vote for Obama because he's black and Hillary is white" or "Obama...his name's Hussein isn't it? That can't be good".

Hillary put out hateful ads against Obama in Pennsylvania. For the governor to back her shows what kind of person he is. Sometimes being loyal doesn't mean you're also good.

August 18, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  13. Desmond Sequeira

Undiluted rubbish! It is pathetic that some of these people are so bitter and, therefore, so unmagnanimous and ungracious. These kind of rationalizations fool nobody. The time to show unreserved solidarity was right after the primaries, in fact long before they were finally over.

August 18, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  14. Unbelieveable

Way to Divide the party genius. Glad you'll get your release – and make others question themselves.

August 18, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  15. john williams san diego, ca.

The guy has been a buffoon all his life and if it wasn't for the regressives in Pennsylvania he'd be like Howard Dean and looking for a real job.

August 18, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  16. Vig

To Hillary Clinton: We ask that you NOT give your delegate votes to Obama at the convention. We ask that you make a statement of valor and regard to your 18 million supporters. Just like the individual who stood in front of the tanks in Tiananmen Square in China in 1989 to give voice to the oppressive and repressive treatment of it's citizens – we ask that you find your voice again, your voice that was silenced by the gender bias, the sexist smears, the repressive and oppressive media conglomerates and their mouth pieces that snickered and smirked at the possibility of a female President.

This is especially significant since there is NOT one female being seriously considered as a vice presidential choice. We've had enough of this exclusive male club whose only purpose is to keep the political status quo male dominated.

August 18, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  17. Donkey Party

All this does is fuel the false hopes of the PUMA girls club but proves that Hillary only cares about herself and her legacy, or lack thereof. Her name on the roll call is defiant, divisive, and polarizing, and does nothing to solidify the party. When will this egomaniacal woman realize that SHE LOST??? Thanks to Hillary's sense of entitlement, and her rabid, sore-loser supporters, It'll be a long time before I even consider voting for a woman as President. I don't want the Def-con level to change each time some post-menopausal liar like Hillary has an emotional meltdown, or catches Bill doing something naughty. I used to like the Clintons. I voted for Bill. Now I'm just tired and disgusted with them.

August 18, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  18. dallasiteforhillary

Woo hoo -2250 more to go!
    Go Hillary

August 18, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  19. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Rendell will probably vote for McCain, we all know who the real Rendell is because he exposed himself.

August 18, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  20. Susan

If all her supporters would vote for her, she could win! If Obama picks her for veep, the two can win!!

Obama/Hillary 08

August 18, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  21. Gene

Rendell.. you piece of garbage. Ok... you want to vote for Clinton at the convention.. no problem.. you of course have the right to vote for whoever you like... and if you feel you have to vote for Clinton either because you believe she's the best candidate.. or just because you want to make a symbolic statement... nothing wrong with that.

But.. to say that you are then going to support Obama, and then say that you're not being divisive.. and then make a this comment:

What exactly are you trying to imply? That Barack is lying to people? And how is this not being divisive?

August 18, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  22. old boy

excellent decision by Ed!

i just read some UGLY comments posted by Obamaphiles on another CNN post. the hatred they spew at anything Clinton-related is utter ignorance and very very scary!

Obama has divided this country LIKE no Other Pol, ever! He has wounded us and brought out SUCH hate.

This man will never ever get my vote. And i'm very sorry he was engendered such hatred.
    His decision to run was deeply flawed! He has divided the US for a long time to come!

August 18, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  23. Raymond Duke

I always said that if Clinton would use her brain she would run as an indepedent like Joe Lieberman did. I am an indepedent and I think she could beat both of these two guys in a three way split. If not she could at least beat the liberal democrats and retire them from being a potent political force for probably a good fifty years. She owes nothing to these left wing nuts and the democrat party leadership which is comprised of these snakes. They shafted her so why not shaft them back. She could easily take care of Pelosi, Reid, Howard Dean and the ones who turned on her. What better vigiance. I noticed she shoved Judas Richardson away when he tried hugging her in New Mexico. She will probably not be able to exact her punishment on Fat Ted. I think God has beat her to the punch there. Probably for the young girl he killed years ago.

August 18, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  24. Obama- Next Stop.. White House

Whatever!!

August 18, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  25. Ann

Finally someone who stands for his principles. Thank you Governor Rendell. Anyway Obama will not win in November but if this is what the Dems want, , let it be.

August 18, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |