August 19th, 2008

Rendell voting for Clinton

Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.
Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.

(CNN) – Perhaps Ed Rendell's name can be officially scrapped from the list of potential VPs.

The Pennsylvania governor and fervent Hillary Clinton backer said Monday he's planning to vote for the New York senator at the Democratic convention next week.

Rendell, who has been credited with helping to deliver his state to Clinton, told a Pennsylvania blog Monday that a vote for Clinton is not meant to show disunity.

"It honors the hard work of so many people who supported Sen. Clinton," he told PolitickerPA. "Many of the Pennsylvania delegates worked their heart out for Sen. Clinton, and they're excited to cast a vote for her. From my vantage point, that will be closure for them."

"Early on, I said I would cast my ballot for Sen. Clinton," he also said. "I'm going to cast my ballot for her, and then the moment I cast my vote, I'm going to continue to enthusiastically support Sen. Obama. It's going to be a good release for all of us."

Rendell has long said he would make a bad running mate, noting in an interview, "If I'm asked a question, I answer it and I tell the truth,” he said last February. "That probably isn't a good idea for someone who is the No. 2 on the ticket."

1. Canadian

Give it a rest already. Hillary shouldn't even get a count. It's sad that she puts her ego before everything else... and that idiots like Rendell will follow her around like a puppy dog.

August 18, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  2. Joe

Hillary made Obama.He is a bi-product of Clinton haters.Thank you Republicans.And if Bush was quaified,then any part of Obama ,including the trash he takes out,is qualified.

August 18, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  3. Viva Obama

I heard so much about the reverend and Farakan when some try to discredit Obama but nothing about Rendell who is a true Farakan follower and never hesitated to declare it with solemnity in his speeches. Is it because he endorsed Clinton?

I don't know how long I will await moderation this time. Do You?

August 18, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  4. David in Illinois

That's not unity. It's the same old divisive politics Sen. Obama is trying to eradicate. The primaries are OVER governor!! You're just playing into the hands of the McBush camp: "See, Pennsylvania's own Democratic govern won't even vote for Obama! What are you REALLY trying to show your state's residents? Hillary knows you've been loyal... but that's history. She LOST, fair and square!

August 18, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  5. Neutralizer

I hope so Governor Rendell, if you don't, the people of PA will throw you out of office next election. A lot of democrats all over USA will be voting a lot of incumbents out of office this election who did not endorse Hillary when she was the winner in their district. PAYBACK IS A BIATCH!

August 18, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  6. go away mongers, Ventura, CA

As long as he turns around and votes per Hillary to make the nomination unanimous. I am imagining that he has done his part to also retire her debt.......pumA's shout alot, but don't seem to really "support" their candidate.
    Hillary should have stepped aside in MARCH- and after seeing all these memos from her campaign coming out- I KNOW the debt situation would not be what it is. She had bad Counsel, loud but non-supportive backers, and turned off many of us former admirers by her actions in the primary.
    Go ahead Gov. Redell- but put your money where your mouth is as well.

August 18, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  7. Shirley-Ohio

He will be a governor for life if reelected.

August 18, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  8. Ken

This is what I call loyalty! Rendell is a man of honesty and knows that Hillary Clinton is the right choice to be the nominee, not Obama.

The only way that Obama will get my vote is to put Hillary Clinton on the ticket, or better yet, have the delegates vote to give the nomination to Hillary Clinton, and then put Obama on the ticket as her VP. That we it would be a slam dunk on beating McCain in November. Then the White House would stay in the hands of the Democrats for the next 16 years.

It would give Obama the time to get the experience and skills to then AFTER Hillary Clinton serves for 8 years, he should be ready to lead our country.

August 18, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  9. TerryDo--Puma +40

So, what you are trying to say Ed Rendell is that, Hillary;s name which

is placed in Nomination on the First Roll Call, is nothing but a facade,

a symbolic piece of patronizing to Senator Clinton.

If that is true, that the vote will only be symbolic, there will never be

unity in the Democratic Party and in effect that will be the demise of

the DNC, which is too rife with corruption.

August 18, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  10. David in Illinois

And you fools reading "Obama Nation," please vote for McCain, because we don't want such hatred in the Democratic Party...the GOPers can have you ALL to themselves.
    If you think 4 more years of Bush (McBush) is really what this country needs...more bloods spilled in unnecessary wars, more $4+ gasoline, no more money for schools, education, bridges, highways, airports... all that infrastructure stuff McBush will build in Iraq but calls it "pork" here that we can't afford.
    All this joblessness, food inflation, the energy crisis, crashing stock market....it's all a MENTAL recession.
    Get over it!!!!!!!!! Go read "Obama Nation." Fill your minds with lies and distortion. You're half brain dead already.

August 18, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  11. R.O.B.

All I'm hoping is that the Republicans don't take back the White House in November. If that happens all of us average American citizens who make less than 250,000 dollars a year may as well say goodbye to life as we used to know it.

August 18, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  12. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

I think Rendell is doing right thing, he is a real gentleman and honest politician, not like Judas Richardson. I can smell that Obama makes a huge mistake for VP and lose to McCain easily, anyway McCain is a whole lot better and pure American Candidate. I am very happy as Independent after lifelong Democrats. Bush didn't lead us well, but Republican is much better than Democratic Party, DNC is the most stupid idiot I have ever known, I wish CA voters rid of Pelosi next term, she is the most cunning and crafty woman in Washington. I couldn't watch she plays tricks with Obama.

August 18, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  13. Larry

Dude, she lost.

August 18, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  14. jm from sc

How can people support one candidate and vote for another. I really think this is just another attempt to divide the party. This is a sad day in America.

August 18, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  15. The Vote

Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.Bill had better watch Rendell........Ed help her with her Debt

August 18, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  16. bibek

I had more respect for Rendell before I read this Ticker.

Obama '08

August 18, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  17. Vigla

OK, where are all the PUMAS saying that Hillary will win? All you jerks need to get a life. Voting McCain and installing an unstable, conservative, angry man into the whit ehouse out of spite is not only moronic, but childish.

As for McCain...what a liar. He lied about the cone of silence thing. He then accuses Obama of being ambitious. So what exactly is McCain...unambitious? Yeah, right, he's only running for POTUS. What an idiot.

August 18, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  18. CNN loves Hillary

Rolling in the mud with Hillary is the perfect place for that pig Rendell.

August 18, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  19. jrzshor

integrity

August 18, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  20. Diana Soler from Puerto Rico

Governor Rendell honors the democratic party with his respectfulness, honesty and loyalty. It still baffles me that a woman that has prepared all her life for this historic moment, with her experience, professional background, intelligence and sensibility has to concede to this flash in the pan man senator that came out of nowhere, has virtually no experience and lacks depth, content and scope in his message and actions. He has shown a condescending attitude towards senator Clinton and those who are not in agreement with his views. Sorry Mr. Obama but you still don't convince me and many millions who are waiting to see your true colors...

August 18, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  21. mel

Rendell, why are you being so sore at Obama,a man that have
    consider you as his running mate and you are still Hillary.
    What happen to party unity on your part. Let's get this thing
    together we are democrates.

August 18, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  22. Honesty Matters

Way to go... thou need not fear Obimation of this country...
    Love your guts Rendell...
    HILLARY 08...For our nation's sake

August 18, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  23. papau

the only closure will be either Hillary on the ticket as Pres or VP nominee, or the election of McCain. Arrogance and "no place to go" must be dealt with – and with Democratic Congressional control to continue, there is no "fear" (be it judges or choice or whatever) that will stop PUMA. First time in 60 years my money, time, and vote with go GOP rather than Democratic – but the Democratic Party muct be made democratic again.

August 18, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  24. LETS BE HONEST

HAVE YOU NOTICED FOR EVERY 5 VIDEOS CNN HAS OF

OBAMA

CNN ONLY HAS ONE OF MCCAIN....

JUST LIKE CNN DID WITH HILLARY

CNN AND NBC....PATHETIC...THIS IS NOT OBJECTIVE

REPORTING BUT BIAS REPORTING...

AND THIS IS COMING NOW FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS

VOTED DEMOCRAT ALL MY LIFE AND NOW INDEPENDENT

THANKS TO MEDIA

August 18, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  25. linda

Gov. Rendell I admire your decision to vote for Hillary at the DNC in Denver. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the delegates would see the light and everyone would cast their vote for Hillary? It would be the best thing that could happen for our country. Needless to say, I will certainly be waiting for 2012 when I can again support Hillary's run for the presidency, and I know that at that time, she will be the victor!!!!!!!!! HILLARY FOR 2012! I can hardly wait.

August 18, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |