August 19th, 2008

Rendell voting for Clinton

Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.
Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.

(CNN) – Perhaps Ed Rendell's name can be officially scrapped from the list of potential VPs.

The Pennsylvania governor and fervent Hillary Clinton backer said Monday he's planning to vote for the New York senator at the Democratic convention next week.

Rendell, who has been credited with helping to deliver his state to Clinton, told a Pennsylvania blog Monday that a vote for Clinton is not meant to show disunity.

"It honors the hard work of so many people who supported Sen. Clinton," he told PolitickerPA. "Many of the Pennsylvania delegates worked their heart out for Sen. Clinton, and they're excited to cast a vote for her. From my vantage point, that will be closure for them."

"Early on, I said I would cast my ballot for Sen. Clinton," he also said. "I'm going to cast my ballot for her, and then the moment I cast my vote, I'm going to continue to enthusiastically support Sen. Obama. It's going to be a good release for all of us."

Rendell has long said he would make a bad running mate, noting in an interview, "If I'm asked a question, I answer it and I tell the truth,” he said last February. "That probably isn't a good idea for someone who is the No. 2 on the ticket."

1. MD in GA

Gov. Rendell, REALLY?? I don't for one minute believe he would be cast his vote for Hillary Clinton if Biden or Dodd or even Edwards had gotten the nomination. All I can say is if people like Ed Rendell cause the Dems to lose this election with all this division and bigotry then they get what they deserve. No energy plan, no end to the war, continued tax breaks for the wealthy, etc., etc. etc. We know this won't affect them personally but I hope it ends up getting a bunch of them voted out in their next elections...

August 18, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  2. Judy R

Would that more SD's would vote for the candidate that carried their state. Unfortunately, people like Kerry, Kennedy, Richardson, etc., refuse to honor the will of their people.

August 18, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  3. swalker3

Sad. The old guard would rather sink the ship then hand the wheel to a new captain.

August 18, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  4. dittohead with forty names

Can you spell "crime boss"?

August 18, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  5. RK

"am asked a question and I tell the truth" – code for loser with bad past.

August 18, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  6. Dan

Ed Rendell sure knows how to pick a loser. Never has it happened in American politics where someone drops out of a difficult race, to get elected as a party's nominee. It doesn't happen... we like winners.

As far as Hillary's debt goes, if each one of her loyal 18 million fans brought one dollar with them to their catharsis episode at the DNC... her crying game would finally come to and end, forever.

August 18, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  7. aware

If the Democrats want to win they will vote for Hillary Clinton 08. Obama is a loser!

August 18, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  8. aware

OBAMA IS A LOSER!

August 18, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  9. Jay

Who cares? Rendell is just a bloviating Clinton shill. He has been beholden to Bill and Hillary since he was DNC chairman in the 1990s. This isn't news.

August 18, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  10. William

Good for you Ed, this is what loyalty is all about. The Obama supporters that constantly slam Clinton and her supporters would have us abandon our loyalty to her and pledge it to Obama, well this Clinton supporter won't do it. Come Nov. If Hillary is not Obama's choice for VP, I will cast my vote for her anyway, be she on the ballot or not. If Obama should lose, C'est la vie.

August 18, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  11. Shree Shrestha

Obama is a bad choice. Superdelegates need to wake up and smell salt and vote for real candidate Hillary. Hillary will surely defeat McCain but Obama has no chance at all.

August 18, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  12. A Dem for Unity

I think the convention is going to be an emotional one.

August 18, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  13. fortheparty

where's the unity? still comparing votes, let them fall where they may.

Some will do the right thing for the party! We need someone to take us out of debt!

August 18, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  14. Edith Arkansas

Ed Rendell is voting for Clinton at the convention. Then let Rendell retire Clintons debt. I am a Barack Obama supporter and all the money I have to give will go to his campaign with all the negative underhanded thrown at Obama from McCain he needs all the funds he can get to fight the negative ads from McCain. I also find it disturbing that the Clinton supporters would impose upon the Obama supporters to help retire Clinton debt and stating all she have done for him forgetting that all the Obama supporters have been doing for him from day one. What are they going to get for all their hard work. I hope at least him President. Another thing no one owe Clinton anything for he bad judgement to stay in the race when it was mathematiclly she would lose. She allowed her ego to drive her then that is her little red wagon problem I live from month to month She have millions why should I take from my family to give her money. Anyway what she is trying to do take from Obama so that he will lose to McCain?. Anyone that would vote for McCain must be just like him. I would never vote for McCain in a hundred years. All he is doing is pandering for votes. Once he is elected he will carry out Bush Third term. I won't be deceived. No on VAIN McCain!!!!! OBAMA 1 20 09.

August 19, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  15. When will the insanity end?

Yes Gov Rendell, it's best that you aren't in the #2 spot. After all, you were the one who said during the primaries that the good hard working blue collar folks in Penn just aren't ready to vote for a person of color. I hope they prove you wrong in Nov.

DEMS 08

August 19, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  16. Lana, California

Here is a simple test to see if Senator Clinton (her family and former supporters also) are truly sincere in helping and doing everything they can to elect Senator Obama: Go on Sunday talk shows and DEFEND him vigorously.

Senator Clinton has been conspicuous in her absense from these venues since her "suspension" and after the convention, it would be appropriate and show solidarity to the cause if she ventured forth.

August 19, 2008 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  17. Ted

Well. Someone's made of failure.

August 19, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  18. Take The Bus Eddie Boy!

"My guess is that Eddie boy will not be riding on Air Force One for the next four years!"

Correction.... Next Eight Years!

August 19, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  19. Lucas, Nashville TN

Breeze, meet steam of urine.

August 19, 2008 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  20. dittohead with forty names

Hes not a crime boss.

August 19, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  21. The Main Man in Kentucky

Why would Rendell do this when Senator Clinton even said that she's not voting for herself.

Rendell can't really be trusted. I mean when you admit that your state may not be ready for a Black president, you are basically calling your constituents, racist and backward bigots.

I bet if there was a black surgeon and he was the only one who could save the life of one of your children, I bet my Chocolate Chip Cookies and Milk that a person's color wouldn't matter.

August 19, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  22. Please Love Me and Post My Stuff

Liar..LOSER! What more can be said?

August 19, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  23. Judgement over experience

Rendell is my governor and crooked as they come so it is no surprise he is voting for her. BTW why would people want a person who couldn't even manage her campaign finances to run their country? It is baffling and disturbing to say the least.

August 19, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  24. Jozee

This entire cast your vote for Hillary crap has no place at this convention. The Clintons make me ill and I wish they would go away. That's why Bayh, another Clinton crony, should not be placed in contention for VP.

GO OBAMA/BIDEN!

August 19, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  25. Houston, TX

Why are we still talking about this, god the Clintons need to let this go I can’t believe we are still debating this Hillary lost get over it and unite this is crazy....Hillary ran a ugly campaign, it was very nasty towards Senator Obama and they gave McShame all his talking points!!!let’s not forget!!!! Enough already the Clintons should fall in line and unite and stop trying to force their way onto his ticket. Why am I not suprised Mr Rendell!!!!

August 19, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |