August 19th, 2008

Rendell voting for Clinton

Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.
Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.

(CNN) – Perhaps Ed Rendell's name can be officially scrapped from the list of potential VPs.

The Pennsylvania governor and fervent Hillary Clinton backer said Monday he's planning to vote for the New York senator at the Democratic convention next week.

Rendell, who has been credited with helping to deliver his state to Clinton, told a Pennsylvania blog Monday that a vote for Clinton is not meant to show disunity.

"It honors the hard work of so many people who supported Sen. Clinton," he told PolitickerPA. "Many of the Pennsylvania delegates worked their heart out for Sen. Clinton, and they're excited to cast a vote for her. From my vantage point, that will be closure for them."

Rendell has long said he would make a bad running mate, noting in an interview, "If I'm asked a question, I answer it and I tell the truth,” he said last February. "That probably isn't a good idea for someone who is the No. 2 on the ticket."

1. El Kababa

I think that Clinton's delegates should cast their votes for her. Obama will still win, we presume. Clinton's supporters invested a lot of energy and emotion in her campaign. Let them cast their votes and cheer their hearts out. It will do them good. It's the democratic way. Everyone has their say, everyone casts their votes, then all good Americans come together to work for the benefit of our nation.

August 19, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  2. cathy

Of course it does not show party disunity to vote for a candidate other than the nominee...what were we thinking?
    BTW CNN why are you and the rest of MSM (other than NPR) not covering the Cindy McCain invisible sister story??:??
    I know... this one will be awaiting moderation.....forever.

August 19, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  3. Candy West Virginia

Clinton and her wicked supporters have doomed her chances of ever winning another election for anything and I say it serves them and her right. She ruined her political career with her ego driven self and her demented supporters. Its called Karma folks.

August 19, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  4. Kenneth F

What happens if Clinton gets more delegate votes on the floor then Obama, can she then be the nom? Would the DNC allow that to happen?

August 19, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  5. Shrill for Hill

I really really hope that McCain is elected. A woman's place is in the home, not in the workplace.

August 19, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  6. JB, Boston

And so it begins!

For anyone who lacks the psychic abilities I have, let me share some information.

HRC does not think this is over. That would explain the suspension of her cmpaign, the inability to wholeheartedly backing Obama, the less than receptive response from her husband.

They are going in to steal this thing, and this is just the beginning. Hillary and her sexual predator husband do not care fo this country or for anyone other than themselves.

THIS IS A STRAIGHT UP POWER GRAB. If she could, she would organize a coup. They are awful people, and someday, EVERYONE will be aware of that.

August 19, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  7. Greg Pottstown, Pa.

If everyone is planing on supporting Obama then why the dog and pony show. What a good use of money the dem convention is turning out to be.

August 19, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  8. s

WHY SHOULD OBAMA PAY FOR THE LIAR'S DEBT?

Let the billionaire pay her debt. He loves her so much.
    Let the 18 million pay off her debt.

LET HER RED-NECK HUSBAND PAY HER DEBT

August 19, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  9. McCain Lies!

If I never see this wicked, evil, ego driven, power hungry woman again it will be too soon! Enough of her and her demented supporters for life!

August 19, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  10. 18 Million minus One

Why don't all the delegates who are voting for Clinton do some fundraisers to help her retire her debt?

August 19, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  11. John in Ohio

' "Early on, I said I would cast my ballot for Sen. Clinton," he also said. "I'm going to cast my ballot for her, and then the moment I cast my vote, I'm going to continue to enthusiastically support Sen. Obama. It's going to be a good release for all of us." '

All this "good release" stuff sounds kind of sexual.

Before people go "one more Obamabot changing his mind!", Rendell has always been solidly Clinton and probably will always be solidly Clinton. No big surprise.

For everyone who is going to say that Hillary should be VP or the nominee, what do you base that on? She was completely incapable of running her campaign. She couldn't manage the message, she couldn't budget or manage her finances, and she kept going after it was clear she couldn't get the delegates. Complain all you want about caucuses, each state has the right to choose how it will select a nominee, and the Clinton camp had no problems with caucuses until they started losing in them. With all the problems we have in the US with budgeting and the national debt, do we want somebody who generates millions in debt just in her primary campaign to be anywhere near the national economy?

And really, the Republican party is just as fragmented as the Democrats, if not more so. all the faux bickering and arguing in the "Democrat" Party, courtesy of Republicans posing as Democrats in the internet's anonymity, the fact that the Republican Party is dying is going largely unnoticed. The Republican brand this election year is toxic. McCain can only define himself in his opposition to Obama, he doesn't have anything of his own, he has nothing going for him. And on the state and local levels, it's not much better. Punditry aside, the country is angry at the Republicans, angry at Bush, and the Republican party is split between moderates, militant neoconservatives, and religious fundamentalists.

August 19, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  12. Mike

Don't blame me, I voted for Lynn Swan.

August 19, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  13. Toby

And if he wants Clinton as No. 2 on the ticket, does this mean that he acknowledges that she lies?

August 19, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  14. Phil, Ashburn, VA

It's not about Hillary anymore but ofcourse, the Clinton's can't accept that.

August 19, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  15. Olegringo, NM

This is someone who wanted to take care of our money? That was a close one!

August 19, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  16. Dave in VA

Rendell, you meathead, can't you and your hare-brained pals put your sore-loser status on hold until AFTER the general election? She LOST! Get over it!

I've been an independent voter all my life, and one reason I would NEVER consider officially becoming a Democrat is because again and again and again you idiots do whatever it takes to lose elections. Give the Repubs credit for at least having common sense enough to rally behind the nominee once he's been chosen.

August 19, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  17. Dennis Philadelphia

He is annoying... I wish to G-d he would have fixed the hunting park housing mess before he left office as mayor in philly. Plus he is a McNabb hater... Obama doesnt need him to win PA.

August 19, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  18. KM

Why don't we just hand the election over to Sen. McCain now since it appears that is what some Hillary supporters want to do.

August 19, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  19. bakersfield

way to go rendell

August 19, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  20. Kenneth F

Hillary looks just like Glen Close in this picture. She is like a fat cloud over this election. She reminds me of the over the Hill lady at the club that wants you to kiss her.

August 19, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  21. voter

Rendell was never on the list for V.P. According to the people in P.A., he is doing a bad job for their state. Second, I agree with the ex Clinton administrator that the clinton supporters have a sense of entitlement. I believe they are using the excuse that she is a woman and lets celebrate her accomplishments to undermine the historical nature of Obama's nomination. This is sad because Obama is the first bi-racial candidate to ever be the nominee for a major politcial party. The clinton's sense of entitlement is taking Obama's moment away. I am speaking as a woman.

August 19, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  22. watching from the sidelines

A Clinton conspiracy as usual.....She is gonna attempt a coup at the convention for sure. Nothing is beyond this woman's lust for power

god save the dems

August 19, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  23. Karbry

You go Ed! Vote your heart, not the popular census.....my husband and I are writing in Hillary on the ballet if she is not VP

August 19, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  24. Indy for OBAMA 08

She lost... get over it.

OBAMA 08

August 19, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  25. watching from the sidelines

maybe she will buy off some superdelegates using her $109 million and then cry for money from her supporters again

August 19, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |