August 19th, 2008

Rendell voting for Clinton

Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.
Rendell says he's voting for Clinton at the convention.

(CNN) – Perhaps Ed Rendell's name can be officially scrapped from the list of potential VPs.

The Pennsylvania governor and fervent Hillary Clinton backer said Monday he's planning to vote for the New York senator at the Democratic convention next week.

Rendell, who has been credited with helping to deliver his state to Clinton, told a Pennsylvania blog Monday that a vote for Clinton is not meant to show disunity.

"It honors the hard work of so many people who supported Sen. Clinton," he told PolitickerPA. "Many of the Pennsylvania delegates worked their heart out for Sen. Clinton, and they're excited to cast a vote for her. From my vantage point, that will be closure for them."

"Early on, I said I would cast my ballot for Sen. Clinton," he also said. "I'm going to cast my ballot for her, and then the moment I cast my vote, I'm going to continue to enthusiastically support Sen. Obama. It's going to be a good release for all of us."

Rendell has long said he would make a bad running mate, noting in an interview, "If I'm asked a question, I answer it and I tell the truth,” he said last February. "That probably isn't a good idea for someone who is the No. 2 on the ticket."

1. More

Govt. Rendell, I admire your loyalty and resolve. A true supporter. I would want friends like you. Clinton all the way.

I am a Black 25 year old male and I approve this message...

August 19, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  2. roninphilly

Ed has decided to retire !
    When he said people in 'his' state weren't ready to vote for an AA, he was talking about himself. He basically just endorsed McCain.

August 19, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  3. John

Well as we can see Obama is change you can xerox. The poor design of the democratic primary vis a vi the DNC leadership lead to this. If you want to blame someone blame DEAN and the media who was biased to the point of being co-conspirators in the elect obama coup.

August 19, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  4. marianna

Rendell name should remain on a VP short list.

Clinton/Rendell '08

August 19, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  5. Debby

I have utmost respect for Ed Rendell being loyal to Clinton. I wish there were more politicians like him.

On a second note since CNN didn't post my comment in the Clinton debt blog. Why isn't Obama paying off her debt. Hillary paid off Tom Vislick's, and Deans got paid off also. Under the Ethics Reform Act Obama can't use the money for anything personal like clothes, VACATIONS, dog grooming etc. I was really surprised he used the campaign jet to take his friends and family on vacation. I would think this would be a NO NO under that act.

August 19, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  6. miken

I don't understand this closure thing some people have. I just like HRC much more than Obama the flip-flopper.

August 19, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  7. Tony

AWARE:

Obama is a loser???????????

Just waht would you call Bush and Cheney over the last 8 years.

Sour grapes buddy? The republicans are going to be toast not only in the House and the Seante, but in th big White House to.

Deal with it.

August 19, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  8. Tainopower

Ok to all my democrat friends Clinton will be nominated for president on the democratic convention and the followers of obama will be very happy? Not really but who cares obama , hillary they can't win.

August 19, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  9. Choices

I am a Black 25 year old male and I approve this message…

August 19, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  10. SJ CA

Die Hillary, DIE ALREADY!!!

August 19, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  11. prairieguy

PUMA out in force...get over it she lost!!!!!

She did not lose because of sexism, the media, cheated...she ran a pitful camapign with Mark Penn's losing strategy.

Hillary is a good person and will be a great Senator if she does as Ted Kennedy did when he lost to Carter.

I hope you all watched the Forum Sunday night and heard McCain clearly as he supports everything Hillary is opposed to....if you want that then be stupid and vote for him and suffer the results.

August 19, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  12. John from LA

Good for him-last time I checked-America is a Democracy-Hopefully others will follow to send a message to the bots-that they "selected" the wrong candidate.

Looking forward to some excitement-this is what conventions used to be like-Why were the Dems in such a rush this year??????

Why are the bots on this blog always so angry????-Let it go bots and enjoy the Dem process!

August 19, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  13. Pupster

He's basically calling the potential VP a liar.

Rendell picked his horse and he lost. Time to put him out to pasture.

August 19, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  14. Eric

Am I the only one still waking up with nightmares, dreaming she is still in the race and making those phony arguments about why she is more attractive to hard working white Americans. Give it a break and try your chance again in 2016.

August 19, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  15. D R

Hillary and Ed are going to get McCain elected. The hardcore Clinton folks could care less that she and her husband have already been impeached. They have already been defeated in the primaries, so all that's left is to throw the election to McCain. Senseless, as well as striking a strong message to the world that war is coming!

August 19, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  16. spanky

Hats off to the Rendell. He and Hillary is the reason I switched to the democratic party. Lets get real folks, you change your support/principles because Hillary came in second. Way to go govenor!

August 19, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  17. Karen

Would anyone even begin to wonder why the democrats are losers? To begin with, they are sore losers and will never accept the fact that they lost! Check out the Clintons and their campaign, and now their staunch supporters support this fact too. This is why they will never be able to win the WH, even if Obama does not take it this year, they are again doomed to lose it in 2012 for the party is too fractured and divided to ever win again. This is the kind of politics that has been played by the likes of Clinton and other party members and is no surprise that previous supporters are so fed up that they are not incline to vote for anyone now.

August 19, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  18. Bob Stephens

Obviously, Rendell is a moron, which is why he probably supported Clinton in the first place.

August 19, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  19. LS

Obama isn't a loser. He achieved victory over Hillary and will achieve victory over McCain.

TOO many people need and want something new for this country and for our future generations. I believe McCain is outnumbered by supporters in this area.

August 19, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  20. checkthisout

OBAMA and his supporters will not understand this.

It is OUTSIDE THEIR PAY GRADE !!!

LET THE VOTES BE COUNTED !!!

PLEASE.

August 19, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  21. Scott, Wichita

Why does this remove him from the list of candidates? If anything, it makes him a better vp choice, as he might provide that support the PUMA's are looking for, and it means hes one of the few politicians who follows through with what they say they're gonna do...

August 19, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  22. Norah (Boston, MA)

Clinton and Rendell had better get their act together- enough is enough- grow up! Obama has been exceedingly gracious – can one even imagine how these people would have reacted if Obama had lost and tried to pull any of this nonsense? Obama won, Clinton lost- get over it!
    If Clinton thinks she is a role model for women- she isn't. We have all had to suffer disappointment and get on with our lives.
    However if Clinton, Rendell etc are trying to take over the convention or cause an Obama loss they should reconsider. A McCain victory would be disastrous for this country- if they cause that they will bear the blame and shame for what happens to the US and its citizens.

August 19, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  23. k_los

Really...Sexism can go both ways. How can someone who was a favorite as the candidate and a Rock Star as a husband singlehandily ruin her own chances for the nomination? You can blame on Obama as much as you want, but Hillary Clinton is to blame. Her election staff that she put together was totally dysfunctional; if she was elected she would have been the Democrats' version of George Bush! I would love for a woman president, but I am not going to support Hillary just because she is a woman and because she was married to Bill.

August 19, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  24. ChuckinCT

PUMA's = not a democratic bone in body, emotions overrule logic & reality

August 19, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  25. From HRC to McKinney

It would be disgraceful not to have a floor vote, and it would be cowardly for Dems to switch horses even this close to the end of the race.

Obama won, right? So if he wins by 4% or 14%, he's still the nominee.

The delegates should vote how they originally voted. Obama will look stronger if wins this on his own, without putting baby in the corner.

August 19, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |