August 20th, 2008

Change of venue denied for Stevens

WASHINGTON (CNN) – A federal judge Wednesday denied a request by Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens to move his corruption trial to his home state so he could continue his re-election campaign.

His trial is scheduled to begin Sept. 24 in Washington.

Filed under: Ted Stevens
  1. The Slovak

Wondering, when is the trial of William Jefferson, Democrat, LA starting? Will there be a change in venue?

I mean, how often do we find $90,000 or so in cash in a freezer in an elected officials house???????????

I guess he doesn't trust the bank with his hard-earned dollars.

August 20, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  2. Observer

Ummm...as I recall, Stevens was the one who wanted the trial to begin BEFORE the election, not after. He certainly shouldn't complain about the venue when he was the one who wanted the date moved up. He needs to take his chances, just like everyone else.

August 20, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  3. sharon walker

DEAR FRIENDS:
    NO MAN CAN AND IS NOT SUPPOSED TO GET A FAIR TRIAL AND REPRESENTATION EQUALLY OF THE COURTS.

August 20, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  4. Thomas

I completly agree that William Jefferson needs to be tried as well.

There should be no favouritism when expelling vermin from Congress.

August 20, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  5. Peter (CA)

Re-election campaign? Is Ted delusional? Alaska is voting for a Democratic senator this year.

I would not mind seeing the LA DA go down and the same for Rep. Jefferson. I also want to see Stevens, Karl, Rove, Alberto Gonzalea, Tom DeLay and all of the other corrupt "public servants" go.

August 20, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  6. Jimbo

Caroline, good pick. Every circus needs more than one clown.

August 20, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  7. leon levin

Kathleen left off one word.....It should be nightmare !!!!!!!

August 20, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  8. TheTruthHurts

Idiot. The judge ain't THAT stupid. And, no, you can't sell him that bridge . . .

August 20, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  9. Sal

Ha Ha.

Crook.

August 20, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  10. PG

He should not worry. Why? Because if Panamanian McCain wins he will either become part of McCain's administration or will receive a pardon.

WHAT ME WORRY? No, my friend you are one of us!

August 20, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  11. ej

Maybe they should try it in Connecticut where they found a former Republican governor guilty of similar home repairs–he had to resign.

August 20, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  12. Greg

The sad part is that he probably would get re-elected.

What's the whirring noise? Oh, I believe it's the founding fathers in their graves.

August 20, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  13. Joe

Less of people like Moore in the political process would be great. Electing Obama is like electing David Duke. Black or white racism is the same.

August 20, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  14. Cindy, Georgia

Another one bites the dust...

August 20, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  15. Carmon Minneapolis MN

Its been almost a year now and I have had the same home phone number and cell phone number and I have NEVER EVER EVA EVA EVA been polled. So my advice to all you who have not been polled, don’t believe this because after almost a year of campaign polls that the media keeps reporting on you cant tell me AFTER A YEAR they could not have found the time to call either of my phones by now.

As a matter a fact no one I know has been polled. I bet CNN won’t post this because they don’t want people to know that these polls are a load of BS and that they are Media Driven.

CNN STOP INSULTING MY INTELLIGENCE

August 20, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  16. kim hussein taylor portland, oregon

good, put the criminal behind bars where he and the rest of these neoCON repugs belong!!!!!!!

those republicans really are a nasty, useless, pathetic bunch-what a sorry group of "people". and mccain is just another repug loser!!!

August 20, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |