August 20th, 2008

The subtle art of campaign humor

Burton’s Wednesday e-mail to reporters.
Burton’s Wednesday e-mail to reporters.

(CNN) - Pity the poor Obama beat reporter – sleeping with their blackberry within arm's reach and their cell phone tucked under their pillow awaiting the looming vice presidential announcement, their job description expanded to include Talmudic-style dissections of vacation itineraries, campaign logistics and grammatical slips.

Having trouble working up any sympathy? So is Barack Obama's campaign. Wednesday morning, as VP speculation reached fever pitch, national spokesman Bill Burton sent reporters an e-mail titled “Vice Presidential….”

First line of the message: “Just kidding.”

It'll probably be a lot funnier after the convention.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. hillybilly

that is funny!

August 20, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  2. Jesse - San Antonio TX

What arrogance.

August 20, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  3. Chris L.

LOL! Those punks! :o)

August 20, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  4. Bulldog

That's funny!!!

August 20, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  5. America the Dumbest

CNN thanks for giving out more useless information instead focusing on real issue. Like policy.

August 20, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  6. Linda from Prescott AZ

Oh Please!

August 20, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  7. Lost (maybe) in CNN Moderation

"I didn't decide to run for President to start a national crusade for the political reforms I believed in or to run a campaign as if it were some grand act of patriotism. In truth, I wanted to be president because IT HAD BECOME MY AMBITION TO BE PRESIDENT. I was sixty-two years old when I made the decision and I thought IT WAS MY ONE SHOT AT THE PRIZE."

– John McCain, "Worth the Fighting For: A Memoir" (2002)

Sounds pretty arrogant to me!

August 20, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  8. MLH

Suck it up. It was a joke, and if you didn't take yourselves so seriously, you'd be laughing too.

August 20, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  9. Lost (maybe) in CNN Moderation

The only beat reporter I pity are the one's in the McLame campaign. I beat they all take speed just to stay awake. Maybe that explains why they don't report on any of his gaffes.
    They're sleeping!

August 20, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  10. dgal878

I'm an independant voter and my vote is absolutely not going to B-O!

August 20, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  11. Michael

Yes, Humor is important. When I think about President McBush starting WW3 and puting the American Economy into the next Great Depression. I just get the Giggles!

August 20, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  12. Jan/Michigan

Obama IS a joke!

August 20, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  13. Whew...almost 10 minutes without a pointless CNN update...

Gosh, I almost had to surf over to Enquirer to have useless info. Thanks CNN for working so hard to maintain your readership base.

Report on Real news!!!!

Like why McCain said in 2000 <i"We all know that the Berlin wall is down . . . People should be able to get on the ballot in states . . . Everybody knows that I am a legitimate candidate. I should be on the ballot."
    –and then he sues to have Bob Barr removed from the Pennsylvania ballot...McCain=Hypocrite.

And for you Obama supporters, same to you!! Obama sued to have his opponents in Illinois removed from the ballot before election!! Not hard to win if you're the only one on the ballot!!!

August 20, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  14. Rudy NYC

I wonder if they sent it out at 3am.

August 20, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  15. Judgement over experience

Love your sense of humor Obama, shows you are a well rounded guy. John McSurge on the other hand is hot tempered, shoots from the hip, is a war monger and makes bad judgements. BTW where is mccain's gas tax holiday? He didn't even show up for the vote that he pandared you guys on. hahaha, now that is funny!

August 20, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  16. bij

ahahahaha...i just punked my coworkers and told them he chose clinton...u should see the uproar!

August 20, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  17. skh4450IL

I'm not a reporter and I'm doing the same thing, constantly waiting for my phone to churp with a text message, making sure the phone is within reaching distance when I sleep. This is pretty funny!! I know I would have laughed had I received that email. I'll continue to be patient and have a sense of humor at the same time!

Obama/Bayh 2008

August 20, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  18. MT

So.......why can't McCain close the deal? McCain reminds me of another “overwhelmingly-experienced” politician that’s unable to overtake an “amateur.” I find this fact very interesting.

August 20, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  19. Debby

CNN this was a stupid blog and its so childish what the Obama campaign is doing with this just kidding crap.

August 20, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  20. Toni - Atlanta

I love it!

August 20, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  21. Chips

Oh! I just love it.

August 20, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  22. Deb, Allentown, PA

Jesse and Debby, get over yourselves. If the McCain camp had done this, you'd think it was soooo clever. I don't think this belongs on the Ticker, but it was a cute little "break the tension" joke.

August 20, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  23. Dan, Ohio

To Debby,

Yes, because McCain's sense of humor has been just perfect throughout the campaign.

Or are you forgetting his "joke" about killing Iranians by selling them cigarettes? I hardly think a little jibe at the media is anywhere near equivalent to implied genocide of a sovereign nation's citizens. A President has to know where to stop and it's obvious that McCain does not.

August 20, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  24. Kathleen, Calgary

Too funny. I have mine on chirp as well (but not at night) – Joe Biden is for me but I would really in my heart of hearts love to see Donna Brazil. They both are fairly awsome people.

August 20, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  25. Polls mean nothing at this point

It's nice to have humor every once in a while!

Go Obama!