August 21st, 2008

Cross Nunn's name off the list?

It appears Nunn will not be Obama's VP.
It appears Nunn will not be Obama's VP.

(CNN) - It appears Sam Nunn, the former Georgia senator and a leading Democratic expert on foreign policy issues, can safely be crossed off the list of Barack Obama's potential running mates.

Nunn spokeswoman Kathy Gwin confirms to CNN the former senator will be out of the country through Monday - far from Springfield, Illinois, where Obama is expected to hold a rally with his newly-named VP Saturday.

Gwin refused to release further details about the trip, saying only that Nunn was traveling on "international business."

Nunn's moderate political views, Southern ties, and gravitas on issues of national security and nuclear non-proliferation have made him a perennial VP contender, though he said last month it's a job he has never coveted.

"I have never aspired to that office," said Nunn at an Obama campaign event last month. "It is always nice to have your name mentioned - it is an honor - but I have no expectation of being offered any office, and I am not in any way sitting on the edge of a chair ready to go back into government."

Watch: Does Clinton have a chance?

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Sam Nunn
  1. Mack

Obama supporters need to embrace Hillary..she is the only choice that will push Obama past McCain. The democrats need an experianced fighter. Hillary Clinton has and always wil be the key to democrat victory in November. If Obama is not wise enough to note this by making this a true historic choice...then he will lose my support and vote..We need and Obama and a Clinton.

August 21, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  2. Brian

McCain owns 7 houses….. he wants the people of this nation to give him Number 8 at tax payer cost!

McCain also is going to use Tax Payer money to convince Tax Payers to put him in his 8th house which is paid for by Tax Payers!

Just say NO to giving McCain an 8th home!

August 21, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  3. C!

I agree with Spencer.. Colin Powell is the way to go! =)

August 21, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  4. John Smith

In American, unlike places like Britain and France, there are so many morons that we always end up electing more and more morons to high positions such as the Presidency- Just look
    -Bush I
    -Bush II
    -Regan
    and the list goes on. Now, we are looking seriously at John McCain

May God bless ONLY America!

August 21, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  5. Lorraine

I like Joe Byden because of his sensible answers to problems, he is quiet in his own way, but very very savvy on issues. But my choice for Obama's vp is Hillary

August 21, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  6. Lisa

Everyone knows it's Hillary!

August 21, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  7. Buddy, OR

I would like it to be Hillary, so that nothing is left to chance, but I could live with Biden, Bayh, Powell or Gore, However unlikely it is. I am just worried that McCain will select a middle of the road running mate and take more indies and conservative dems. Yikes!
    So I guess deep down I really want it to be Hillary and no one else!

August 21, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  8. TonyS

Obama will pick someone who supported the Iraq war, just to hedge his bets with the electorate.

August 21, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  9. Loyal American123

Senator Obama needs to pick Senator Clintorus.
    She will refuse on the advise of of her Judys, in my opinion.
    Obama should then select Senator Judas Joseph Lieberman. (Note: I would not have used the Judas word unless it had been apporved by James Carville, Senator Clintorus and Editor Fred Hiatt at the Washington Post.
    It is only upon their approval that I feel confident to use their politically correct term.
    I. Senator Joseph Judasman will also decline, in my opinion.
    Senator Obama's next chioce needs to be Gov Richardson, the Hispanic who was labeled a JUDAS by a Clintorus apprachik and neocon, named James Carville.
    Pick me! Nixon seleced Agnew.

August 21, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  10. J.C.

Obama must have asked his VP candidate first before he can make up his mind. I hope it's Biden, Reed or Richardson.

August 21, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  11. Ki-Jana Carter

Please, if Obama said that he didn't know how many houses he had the right wing nut jobs would be all over him. McCain is out of touch!

August 21, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  12. The Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

Obama is a loser. please please don't pick Hillary as the VP.

and now for the real news:I can't stand Harry Reid from Nevada," I flatly told my hometown paper, the Journal in comments Thursday.

I cannot now nor will never stand this back biting senator, Mr. Reid. The only one worse is Obama. Obama is risky and Reid doesn't understand heartland of the Mid West issues. He is stuck in a state of "legal prostitution, gambling and abortions." Yes that is what Harry Reid is all about in his state of Nevada or should we say sinstate.

Remember Reid is a do nothing senator, and 'bama is a risky choice;. Both should be defeated because they gamble with our values and our country's security.

August 21, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  13. Vicki Webster

I know is MICHELLE OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!OH MAN what a dissapointment! Maybe will be Mickey Mouse. REALLY WHO CARES....

August 21, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  14. IAMWMD

Since we're not at war with Bosnia, there's no use for Hillary either since we won't need to teach the military "Dodging Bosnia Sniper Fire 101" or the art of lying when getting the crap kicked out of you in an election she's already tutored McWealthy.

Change 08

August 21, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  15. Sean, Boston, MA

Obama "I know something you don't know" is truly displaying his true colors. By letting this drag out, he is further sinking.

August 21, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  16. Loyal American123

Nun is a catholic no op. Remember his defense of the Social Cecurity Tax Cheat named Bobby Ray Inman a Texas joke!.
    But Inman and Nunn bonded!
    Don't ask don't tell.

August 21, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  17. California Matriarch

Biden is the man who can complete Obama's platform. Obama is weakest in the area of foreign policy and state business. Who better to fill that gap than the senior senator from Delaware who has headed the Senate Foreign Relations Committee for several years? But I bet my last dime Obama picks Bil Richardson. That endorsement was a quid pro quo for the vice-presidency. Idiot!

August 21, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  18. Chris, PA

No doubt he has picked the usual fair of a white, middle-aged, pot-bellied MAN!!! So much for political change. Women can go back to the pavement pounding, phone calling campaign tasking while the big boys keep their place up front. The DNC is a disgrace. They turned a golden opportunity into disaster as we stay on the same miserable path.

August 21, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  19. Griff

He's decided? Him Decide? The Flip-Flopper Decide!
    By the time he decides anything, the War is Over...

August 21, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  20. Sean, Boston, MA

Why Biden? He probably didn't get 1 million votes. Hillary got 18 Million. There are 18 million supporters guaranteed to vote for him if she is on the ticket. That is 8.6 million that haven't moved over to Obama. A lot more people than the total Biden got.

August 21, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  21. Mike from D.C.

Nunn could still end up having a roll in Obama's administration if he is elected. Hopefully that will be the case.

August 21, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  22. think outside the box people. remember change?

it wont be clinton or biden or richardson.

Hagel or Kaine
    you can bet on it

August 21, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  23. Proud to be American

Well.... I can not wait to hear who he picks.... he got my vote regardless it is time to have an intelligent person for President you know... some one smarter then a 3rd grader (no disrespect to our 3rd graders 

August 21, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  24. Loyal American123

Senator Lieberman needs to be confirmed for both Sec of State and Sec of Defense. Dep Sec at Def should be Saul Wolfowitz and Def Sec of State would be the former Chair of the Def Policy Board, Richard Pearle.

August 21, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |