August 21st, 2008

Cross Nunn's name off the list?

It appears Nunn will not be Obama's VP.
It appears Nunn will not be Obama's VP.

(CNN) - It appears Sam Nunn, the former Georgia senator and a leading Democratic expert on foreign policy issues, can safely be crossed off the list of Barack Obama's potential running mates.

Nunn spokeswoman Kathy Gwin confirms to CNN the former senator will be out of the country through Monday - far from Springfield, Illinois, where Obama is expected to hold a rally with his newly-named VP Saturday.

Gwin refused to release further details about the trip, saying only that Nunn was traveling on "international business."

Nunn's moderate political views, Southern ties, and gravitas on issues of national security and nuclear non-proliferation have made him a perennial VP contender, though he said last month it's a job he has never coveted.

"I have never aspired to that office," said Nunn at an Obama campaign event last month. "It is always nice to have your name mentioned - it is an honor - but I have no expectation of being offered any office, and I am not in any way sitting on the edge of a chair ready to go back into government."

Watch: Does Clinton have a chance?

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Sam Nunn

Hillary Hillary Hillary Hillary Hillary Hillary Hillary Hillary Hillary Hillary
    Hillary Hillary Hillary Hillary Hillary Hillary Hillary Hillary Hillary Hillary

Or

Hillary

August 21, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  2. RT Hawaii

Earlier comment about "private beach in Hawaii" ... you are as misinformed as McCain is forgetful. THERE ARE NO PRIVATE BEACHES IN HAWAII!!!

August 21, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  3. Deb

Excuse me words matter...no private beaches in Hawaii.

August 21, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  4. therealist

So much for text messages and emails...

August 21, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  5. Daniel Wagle

Nunn is the one pick that would have lost Obama my vote. I cannot forgive Nunn for spearheading the homophobic "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy about the military. He can pick anyone else he chooses, even though I am a Hillary supporter. I like Bayh, but I am concerned that his seat will go Republican, given that Indiana is a Republican state and has a Republican governor. Biden has experience, but HOW MANY votes can he deliver? Bayh COULD deliver Indiana, and Kaine Virginia.

August 21, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  6. blair

Does not really matter to me. He is unfit to run our country. I would not vote for him no matter who he picks now. Would be great if he picked Powell, then if he makes it in office we can impeach him and get him the hell out of there. But he is not going to pick anyone that would outshine him.

August 21, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  7. Beverly, Houston

The Hypocrite so called Evangelists gave McCain more than one standing ovation on Warren's faith based forum. Even when he said "I will always put my country first. DUH!! If you are a true Christian, you put your God first, then your Country.

What a bunch of phonies!!!!

August 21, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  8. Loyal American123

Macain needs to pick Paul Wolofitz for VP. He is the only loyal American.

August 21, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  9. John

Another Obama's CHANGE – CHANGE campaign from positive to negaive. He will lose with the bigger margin.

President Obama?????? HOW SCARRY???????????????

McCain 08 Cliton 12

August 21, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  10. Loyal American123

Will anyone dispute that Paul Wolfowitz is more loyal than Mccain ?
    Wolfowitz should rule if Mccain is elected.
    Wolfowitz for VP!
    If not Wolfowitz we need Richard Pearle.
    If not Pearle than Senator Joseph Judasman.
    Ref the Wash Post and Fred Hiatt's approval of James Craville vile term Judas man.

August 21, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  11. MLH

Sam Nunn is going to have some excellent input in this administration – you can count on that. The guy has an impressive resume.

August 21, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  12. john williams san diego, ca.

ayers or wright...they have a big influence on him.

August 21, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  13. None of the Above 08

If McCain at 72 is too old to be President, then how is Nunn who is 70 this year not too old to hold the number 2 spot in the line of succession to the Presidential office?

August 21, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  14. aliou FL

My pick will be Gen. Clarke. He is the only one who can shut Mcliar up and make him swallow his half bakes stories.

August 21, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  15. 57 yr old woman

Obama is not smart enough to ask Senator Nunn. He wants a puppet

August 21, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  16. andrew

I feel like I am watching the head cheerleader pick the new member of squad. I know and I am not telling Ha Ha. I am getting annoyed and I am a democrat who is going to vote for him

August 21, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  17. California Girl

Obama needs to leave his ego at home; and shock the nation with the dream ticket: Obama/Hillary! Obama's numbers will skyrocket with Hillary back on the campaign trail! No other candidate can reach Hillary's numbers.

August 21, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  18. Andara

I think...although it may be crazy...that Caroline Kennedy should be considered. The name holds a lot of power when it comes to electability. Not that Hillary doesn't and Bayeh nis also a good choice, but just wanted to throw my support for Caroline kennedy in the ring.

August 21, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  19. Laughable

How can McCain put this country first, he doesn't even know how many homes he owns and this is the reason he doesn't know about the economy because he doesn't have to worry about high gas, cost of food, unemployment, etc.

And his people want to paint Obama as "above the average Amerian"

I THINK NOT!!!

August 21, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  20. None of the Above 08

Mike from D.C. August 21st, 2008 4:42 pm ET

Nunn could still end up having a roll in Obama's administration if he is elected. Hopefully that will be the case.
    ****************************************************************************
    What kind of roll? Kaiser roll? Pillsbury Crescent roll? Cinnamon roll? Egg roll?

Mmmmm, all sound good.

August 21, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  21. Lynn

NO way!!! We will not stand for Obama!! Sorry folks!! I'ts time for everyone to stand up and vote to put a slug like Obama packing! Mr. McCain has worked hard all his life to make this Nation a better place for everyone Family to live! McCain all the way!!!

August 21, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  22. rachel

hmm Obama is acting like a little kid with the I got a secret.

August 21, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  23. MT, Texas

I got my text ... IT"S HILLARY!!!

August 21, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  24. Shane

OBAMA/CLINTON THE ONLY WAY HE GETS MY VOTE

August 21, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  25. Raymond Duke

Great news : Harry Reid the democrat senate Majority leader cannot stand McCain. That settled it . I will be voting for McCain. Nothing as bad as hearing Reids whining voice in the senate . But Harry Reid should not be concerned. He just needs to talk to Nancy Pelosi "GODS PROPHET" she can soothe him. She said "GOD" sent Obama to save America.

August 21, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |