August 21st, 2008

Disclosure reports show Clinton still deeply in debt

Clinton is still carrying a sizeable campaign debt.
Clinton is still carrying a sizeable campaign debt.

(CNN) - Well over two months have passed since Hillary Clinton formally abandoned her White House bid, but newly-released Federal Election Commission reports show the New York senator has made little headway in paying off her sizeable campaign debt.

According to an FEC report filed Wednesday, Clinton's debt as of the end of July stood at just under $24 million - a decrease of only $1.2 million since the end of June. More than $13 million of that total is owed to the New York senator herself, while close to $11 million is owed to individual vendors. Clinton has suggested she is not seeking to pay back the money she owes herself.

The report also shows Clinton was only able to raise $2 million in the month of July - down from close to $3 million in June. By comparison, Barack Obama raised over $50 million for his White House bid in the same time period.

The report comes as some high-profile Clinton backers have expressed disappointment Obama has not made more of an effort to help his onetime rival retire her campaign debt.

“He has provided her with a pittance compared to what the Clintons have given Obama,” prominent Clinton backer Lynn Forrester told the Times of London. “Her debt could have been cleared within 10 days. It’s ungracious.”

Obama and Clinton have appeared at a handful of joint fundraising events, and the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee has publicly urged his supporters to donate to his former primary season rival - though at a joint appearance with Clinton at a July fundraiser, the Illinois senator forgot to call on his backers to contribute to her. (He later went back on stage to correct himself.)

According to Clinton's disclosure forms filed Thursday, she owes the most ($5.2 million) to her former top advisor Mark Penn's polling/political consulting firm, Penn, Schoen and Berland Associates.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Extra • Hillary Clinton
  1. Michael

Why can't Obama pay off her debt? Seems a fair trade for her support.
    For a guy that doesn't like rich people, he sure is tight with his millions and millions of campaign money.

I hear Hillary poeple have been meeting with McCain people, including her brother. Maybe they're making a deal. McCain pay off her debt and she undermine Obama.

Mitts going to Denver for the convention. Maybe he's bringing the payoff money. Maybe in her DNC speech Hillary will tell Obama where he can stick all his money, I'm taking my supporters and I'm outa here.

August 21, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  2. Jennifer

How many times does this have to be said...
    Clinton's debt is her responsibility, not Obama's. He has a campaign to run. Hers was mismanaged big time, hence her current financial mess.
    Why aren't her $18 million loyal supporters coming to her rescue?

August 21, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  3. Peter E

Hillary has conceded. She explicitely and repeatedly told her supporters to unite and vote for Obama. She has campaigned for and raised more money for Obama than all of his other rivals combined. (whom you don't seem to criticize at all) Still not satisfied? But then again you don't care about your own Obama's call for unity and positive hope either. You don't listen to your own candidate. All you care about is hate, hate, hate...

August 21, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  4. drz

I will send her a donation if she and her husband do the right thing at the convention.

August 21, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  5. Chris

I think a lot of people, Hillary supporters as well, were a little disappointed with the careless way Hillary spent money during her campaign. She was wasteful in the early months and did not plan for a long fight.

I support her, but I will not give my money to someone who made careless finanical mistakes.

August 21, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  6. Leah DiMarco, Texas

To Alex:
    I guess you didn't hear that Bill Richardson DID have a couple of fundraisers for Hillary to help her pay off her debt!

August 21, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  7. Joseph, Los Angeles California

Why aren't her 18 million supporters helping her? If they all pitched in $2.00 each, that would solve it. Instead, they are on these blogs with threats of voting for McCain, being outward nasty and hateful and wanting to bring down a good democratic candidate for President of The United States.

August 21, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  8. Chanda-Cincinnati

I am not understanding this. IF she had 18 million supporters, and they each gave just $1, then that would be .........say it with me.......$18 million of this debt gone. Where is PUMA and this site's infamous Still For Hill at with the money to help their girl out? Maybe it stands to reason that Rush's operation chaos may have actually played a part in those 18 million. Makes you wonder doesn't it!!! The way her campaign was run speaks VOLUMES to her leadershop ability!

August 21, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  9. OBSERVERING

H A V E-W A R R E N--B U F F E T T--G E O R G E ---S O R O S--

G E O R G E--C L O O N E Y--A N D--T H E I R----------

C O N N E C T I O N S----G O-–I N T O-- T H E I R--$ $ $ $ $ $ $

August 21, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  10. Hillary Clinton

OK, I've decided. I'm going with McCain.
    Don't tell Barack. He still thinks Bill and I are out campaigning for him.
    :-)

August 21, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  11. dee

what happened to that PUMA..did they not raise $6 million???

August 21, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  12. Beto

First, Hilliary's debt is her own. She incurred it and now both Clintons have to pay the part that is not her loan to the campaign. It is very hard to believe that this debt cannot be paid down by both Clintons with their large earning powers.

On Mark Penn – Let him whistle for his money. He gave her a lot of bad advice and that is mainly the reason she is not the nominee.

August 21, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  13. anonmouys

if hillary vp how will her and her puma pay of her debt

August 21, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  14. Lesley

Why are you running this again, in the top spot or even at all? Is it just to stir up trouble before the convention? Obama is busy trying to fend off the McCain machine in case you didn't notice, and doesn't really have time to tend to Hillary Clinton's problems. Besides, he's giving her top billing at the convention, letting her put her name into nomination, etc. He is certainly helping her. Please get together there in the newsroom and come up with some news.

August 21, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  15. Dan J

Wasn't Obama supposed to help her out? Like when I met Obama, I told him I was a medical student at U of Chicago, and that student debt was important to me. He said for me to let him know if I ever needed any help. Yeah right!

She's been unrelenting in her support. Where's the loyalty, Obama? That really scares me.

August 21, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  16. jack

Lynn Forrester's comments that Barrack could have paid off Hillary's debt in 10 days, ungracious. What I find ungracious is Hillary's trying to "look Presidential" at the convention. The lights shinning, balloons falling from the ceiling, her image being shown on the Jombotron's and her name being placed in nomination? What's that about??? It looks like someone (HIllary) can't get over loosing the nomination.

Where are all of the Puma's? Those so called 18 million voters who were her supporters? Remember, $ 1. ea. and she would have paid off what she owes the venders and paid back some to herself. Where are they? I guess its true. Money only flows to winners. That puts more truth into a lobbyist statement "If you don't hold the office, how can you help our interest?"

August 21, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  17. joe

"He has provided her with a pittance compared to what the Clintons have given Obama"

What did the Clintons ever give Obama?? Bill said he wasn't ready to be President, and Hillary is making an effort for Obama, but still, this "prominent Clinton backer" makes it seem as if Obama owes the Clintons, when in reality, the Clintons haven't given Obama anything!

August 21, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  18. Suzette

I don't mean to be divisive. But, her debt is not Obama's problem. And since her supporters like to throw her "18mm votes in Obama's and his supporters' faces, why not go to those supporters. A mere pittance of $1 per voter could eliminate the debt she owes to vendors, plus a large portion of what she owes herself.

The fact of the matter is, she no longer has 18mm voters supporting her, and these few idiotic outspoken ones who can't let go, know it. But, they like to blame others for her problems. Really people, get a life.

August 21, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  19. Aaron Hussein

If she's the VP I'll help with her debt. Otherwise maybe she shouldn't have gone so negative on a fellow democrat. Its now being reported she's giving McCain the playbook. Good luck!

August 21, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  20. Peter E

I wonder if Obama's own supporters ever actually listen to him. Obama himself has called for unity, praised Clinton, and was advocating a positive message of hope. Somehow all I hear from his supporters is hate, hate, and more hate. And it's not even against republicans. It's against fellow democrats. Is this the 'unity' Obama himself asked for?

August 21, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  21. amira4obama

Please Obama supporters do not donate money to the Clintons, they are playing by plan#2 making Obama loose to run again in 1212, Mr. Bill Clinton said at an energy event that Mccaine has a good energy plan and he was praising him like in the primaries, and also her nasty republican attacks are being used by the Mccaine campaign. So if Obam losses this election we can all blame Hillary and Bill.

Obama/Biden 08

August 21, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  22. Seminole32 - Portland

If she put an endo to these rabid PUMA Punks, I would consider sending her $1. Add my $1 to her 18 million supporters who should send her at least $1, her debt would be covered. Do your part Hillary and really support Obama and you will feel better about yourself and be out of debt as well.

August 21, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  23. Paul

My wife once asked me if we could really afford to go to Vegas on vaction and my reply was "heck yeah I'm gonna win the money back that we pay for the trip". I'm an experienced poker player.

Well of courseI lost. And now she has to gotten a second job to match the 2 that I have so we don't lose our house. I wish Hillary had called my wife before she decided to gamble on a losing cause.

Needless to say I'm no longer in a leadership position in my house.

McCain/Clinton 08'-12'-16'-20.

August 21, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  24. Mike

so...18 million Hillary voters and none can help her out?

Oh yeah, that's probably because ONLY 11% say that they are undecided or will vote for McCain.

I tend to believe that at least half that number will vote Obama (the undecideds) and about 2% will vote for McCain.

The nuts you see here are just McCain surrogates (aka Operation Chaos)

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!

August 21, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  25. The Guy

The giant conspiracy group known as "the voting public" cruelly stole this primary from Hillary. They must be stopped, Hillary must show these "voters" her true strength by taking the nomination with her fuzzy math and baseless accusations.

August 21, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |