August 21st, 2008

McCain camp says Obama's still 'The One'

The McCain camp released “The One: Road to Denver” Web video Friday.
The McCain camp released “The One: Road to Denver” Web video Friday.

(CNN) - The One has returned.

John McCain's campaign released a sequel to its Web video about presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama that used footage of Charlton Heston as Moses parting the Red Sea, images of light streaming from the heavens, and a gospel choir to paint Obama as an arrogant politician who bought into near-messianic hype over his candidacy.

They're all back "by popular demand," according to McCain spokesman Brian Rogers - along with new footage of Obama bodysurfing on his recent Hawaiian vacation - in the latest release.

On a day when coverage of the presumptive Republican nominee has been dominated by his inability to immediately recall how many homes he owns, his campaign is hoping that "The One" can save the news cycle.

Earlier: 'They will call him The One,' says McCain Web ad

In 'The One: Road to Denver,' House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is quoted calling Obama "a leader that God has blessed us with at this time," and a recording of Virginia Governor Tim Kaine - a top Democratic VP prospect - is played in which he expresses relief that Obama's call for a cease-fire in Georgia has been heeded.

"His hand guides the world," says the announcer.

"...In Denver, you will see the light," the announcer says later. "He may be 'The One,' but is he ready to lead? No."

Filed under: John McCain • Political ads
  1. out of touch Obama

Remember John Kerry bodysurfing before the convention in 2004. Flashback!!!!!!!!!! No flip flopping this time on the democrats part. They are consistent. Obama is arrogant. At least Kerry was not.

August 21, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  2. Sherry, Atlanta

SEEING THAT MCCAIN BELIEVE THIS. . .WHY IS HE FIGHTING SO HARD WITH DESTRUCTION? ? ?

IS THIS HOW MCCAIN WILL TREAT "THE ONE"

MCCAIN SAID HE BELIEVED IN GOD! SOUNDS LIKE MCCAIN LIED AGAIN. . .

August 21, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  3. McShame

McShame is so mad he made that comment earlier (dummy) he is now throwing the kitchen sink, SAME OLD CLINTON GAME!!!!!!

Johnnie please be good!!!! The One will not work again.....NEXT

OBAMA 08/12!!!

August 21, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  4. mary

Not when he lied about the Christmas story. I saw the same scene in a 1959 movie starring Charleston Heston as Judah Ben Hur in the movie Ben Hur

August 21, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  5. MK

I hope the Repubs and undecideds who watch this ad realize just how STUPID McPander thinks they are. Self-respecting voters should feel profoundly insulted by him.

By contrast , notice how Obama engages people across the political spectrum intellectually and emotionally.

McSame has NOTHING to offer but his tired war stories, and he knows it. That's why he must resort to such ad hominem nonsense.

August 21, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  6. Funny stuff

"greenhx: Does anyone have a problem with John MCsame mocking the Christian faith? More proof that Mcsame is not a man of faith."

---

Not me. This truly is the view for some people out there, though.

<=== aethiest.

August 21, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  7. Mochona, FL

This convinced me the OLD MAN McCain has lost his BEARINGS.
    Which Senior Citizen Home has opening?

August 21, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  8. akaDoug

Obama is "The One"...he owns one house (not 10), has had only one wife (and he didn't cheat on her or dump her for an heiress) and will have "won" in November!

August 21, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  9. IndependentThinker, NY

This freaking ad is getting as obsolete as McOldFashion

August 21, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  10. Michele, Pittsburgh, PA

Putting out garbage like this is not the way you go about getting the votes of Christian voters. Senator McCain, you used to be above ads like this. I'm not sure if I'm voting Obama, but I know I could not cast mine for McCain.

August 21, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  11. Jason, Los Angeles

Why won't McCain talk about the issues in his ads? Could it be that he has no argument? Could it be that he has nothing to contribute to the United States?

August 21, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  12. 60 year old white woman Supporting Obama

And this from a man who entered a town hall in a bus to the tune of "Rocky!!"

August 21, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  13. Craig- Easton, PA

Whatever shred of respect I retained for Senator McCain is now gone. Considering that I planned to vote for him in 2000 had he stayed in the race, that's something. As a Christian, I find this stuff highly offensive and as an American, I find it even more insulting. Yet another confirmation for why I left the GOP after decades of support.

August 21, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  14. ALECO -----NOKOMIS,FL

McCAIN IS RIGHT, OBAMA 'is the one" WHO WILL BE OUR NEXT PRESIDENT.

BUSH TOLD RUSSIA TO GET OUT OF GEORGIA-AT ONCE-
    BUSH SAID, I'M A TEXAS RANCHER (RANGER) AND I AM TOUGHER THAN NAILS. IF ;YOU DON'T GET OUT OF GEORGIA AT ONCE I WILLGET LITTLE DICK CHENEY TO INVADE YOUR COUNTRY.

August 21, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  15. Jeff in Portland

Why won't you talk about the issues, John?

This type of mudslinging isn't going to work in the live debates, old man.

Time to retire to one of your eight houses.

August 21, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  16. Bukky

EEWWWWW this ad make me feel dirty for McCain...

August 21, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  17. Tennisguypitt

Won't work, McInsane. You would probably lead us to war against Iran, then who? Russia? Give me a break!

Obama '08

August 21, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  18. mary

To anonymous,

You are confused because it's "STOOPID"

August 21, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  19. Peter (CA)

No JC, we hate these ads because they play to the lowest common demoniator. I thought McCain had said he wanted to run an upbeat campaign...where is that?

Who but the lame right wing has labeled Obama "the One"? Why not discuss real issues? Maybe because McCain does not understand the economy, is wrong on the war, and does not care about health care??

August 21, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  20. Bob

I'm looking forward to an Obama-produced video showing how McLame sold his soul to satan. Makes sense that he would, tho. McLame and Satan are the same age!

August 21, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  21. Renee

If he is the "One", than he is ready to lead. You cant lead and not be the One. GOP=Stupidity.

August 21, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  22. Lynn

I'm so sorry people but Obama just won't do!! Obama is just a Tug and a tricker! Mabe know all you slug's out thier can get off the drugs and stop drinking, work hard and you own your own house too. Mr. McCain is the biggest role model for this dying Country. Shame on Obama !!!

August 21, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  23. Jann, Denver CO

My God McCain is stupid. I can't believe such an immature fool is running for office.

August 21, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  24. liz

as usual, mcsame refuses to say anything of substance, so he makes an ad that is pure fiction and conjecture.

Obama has NEVER implied that he is some holy being, only McCain and his cohorts have implied that he thinks of himself that way. Unlike McCain, Obama has WORKED for his accomplishments, he didn't dump his first wife to marry into money and power.

Obama is very open about being a human who has made mistakes, meanwhile McCain conveniently forgets his own lack of morals and good judgement.

August 21, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  25. NoMcSame

No Beaches For Wrinkled OLD MEN. Stop hatin McSame. Maybe your plastic wife can sport a little somptin somptin on the beach, but YOU no WAY. That would be funny seeing a real life MR. Burns(of the Simpsons) on the beach. Ha ha ha. Don't go there old boy. LOL LOL. Sorry people I can't stop LOL LOL LOL. Just the thought of it. On the other hand, NO, I don't want to think about it. That may ruin my day.
    Obama08